Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2012, 05:34:31 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 09, 2012, 05:20:26 PM
Oh god, that popping sound.   :cry:

I'm sure yours sounded like a series of claymores going off.

a long ripping sound. A MG42.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on August 09, 2012, 05:05:38 PM
and the United States tied the Bahamas in the second heat in 2 minutes, 58.87 seconds - the fastest time ever run in the first round of the relay at the Olympics.

You'd think with all that speed we'd have managed to get somebody in the finals in the individual 400.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

The amount of vaginal distress in this thread over some loser third place soccer team is really quite impressive, and has really made me appreciate the US team a lot more than I normally would have.

Maybe next Olympics I'll even watch a game. 

E:  Oh yeah:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2012/08/07/olympics-us-canada-soccer-ref.html

Quotewarned Canadian goalkeeper Erin McLeod twice for holding the ball beyond the allowable six seconds before whistling her for it.
QuoteMcLeod was holding the ball for up to 11 seconds when Canada was in the lead.
Quote"When the score was 0-0, 1-1, 2-2," he said, "the goalie was much faster."

Here's more!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/canada-melissa-tancredi-got-away-stomping-carli-lloyd-173222381--oly.html

QuoteThe fuzzy image above (and the clearer one below) shows Canada's Melissa Tancredi, who finished the match with just one yellow card despite being called for at least seven fouls, stomping on the head of fallen U.S. midfielder Carli Lloyd in the box. You can see a gif of the incident here for context. Tancredi appears to deliberately step back in order to plant a boot on Lloyd's head, but what could have very well been a straight red card that wasn't called at all. The referee did stop play soon after to check on Lloyd's condition, though.

Suck it, Canada.

Ed Anger

Canadians are so cute when they get that chip on their shoulder.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Canadians butthurt about their betters to the south.  News at 11.

Neil

Meh.  It's women's soccer.  Canada should take pride in beating the US at real football, and ignore these losses in less worthy sports.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on August 09, 2012, 07:11:54 PM
Meh.  It's women's soccer.

Still counts! As do women's water polo and volleyball.  :cool:

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on August 09, 2012, 07:11:54 PM
Meh.  It's women's soccer.  Canada should take pride in beating the US at real football, and ignore these losses in less worthy sports.

See, now that's the correct attitude to have.  Pity the other Canuckleheads can't seem to figure that out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 09, 2012, 06:44:17 PM
The amount of vaginal distress in this thread over some loser third place soccer team is really quite impressive, and has really made me appreciate the US team a lot more than I normally would have.

Yup, those girls rock.  And those scoring shots--and the goalie play--against Japan were works of art.

QuoteSuck it, Canada.

Lulz.

Valmy

The general dominance of the American women in the Olympics for the past 20 years or so is a great vindication of Title IX and College Football money.  The men are getting left behind in Olympic sports (I mean they do well but nothing like the women do) but really male athletes have NBA, MLB, NHL, and NFL glory so really I think our current policies work great.  I mean it is starting to look like the USA might beat the PRC both in golds and in total medals :yeah:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 09, 2012, 08:32:46 PM
I mean it is starting to look like the USA might beat the PRC both in golds and in total medals :yeah:

Anything less is unacceptable.

katmai

There is no might, with the events left to award medals we will beat them on both counts.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2012, 08:21:00 PM
Beating the PRC.
The PRC is already beaten.  Is it so important that your drugs are better than theirs?

Besides, it'll all be irrelevant if China ever lands a man on the moon.