News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2012, 07:29:53 AM
I was watching the women's gymnastics stuff last night, and quite frankly, as good as Aly Raisman is, I thought that Romanian hottie Catalina Ponor bested her in the floor event;  she was so much more fluid and elegant.  I dunno, I can't figure out the scoring for that stuff.

WTF - next you going to try to take away one of Koufax's no hitters?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Koufax was a known Jewser.

Get it? Jewser? That's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

:pinch:

QuoteManteo Mitchell felt the pop in his leg and knew it wasn't good. "It felt like somebody literally just snapped my leg in half," he said.

The American sprinter had half a lap to go in the first leg of the 4x400-meter relay preliminaries Thursday and a choice to make: keep running or stop and lose the race. To him, it was never much of a choice.

He finished the lap and limped to the side to watch the Americans finish the race and qualify easily for the final. A few hours later, doctors confirmed what he suspected: He had run the last 200 meters with a broken left fibula.

"I heard it and I felt it," Mitchell told The Associated Press. "But I figured it's what almost any person would've done in that situation."

Mitchell finished his heat in a more-than-respectable 46.1 seconds, and the United States tied the Bahamas in the second heat in 2 minutes, 58.87 seconds - the fastest time ever run in the first round of the relay at the Olympics.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Pretty ballsy.

Then again, Bernie Joseph Kosar Jr played three quarters against the Dolphins on Monday Night Football with a broken ankle;  so there's balls, and then there's Bernie Balls.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Olympic games are a pagan celebration.
I refuse to post in this thread.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 09, 2012, 03:56:28 PM
So the U.S women soccer team is wearing shirts reading  "Greatness has been found" (and they wonder why no one likes them?)

How long did it take them to find that ref?  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 09, 2012, 05:20:26 PM
Oh god, that popping sound.   :cry:

I'm sure yours sounded like a series of claymores going off.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 09, 2012, 05:32:21 PM
So the U.S women soccer team is wearing shirts reading  "Greatness has been found" (and they wonder why no one likes them?)

As long as it took to count to 10.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josephus

Quote from: Siege on August 09, 2012, 05:27:49 PM
Olympic games are a pagan celebration.
I refuse to post in this thread.

Israelis and Jews suck, eh? That's why you have your very own Olympics. Next year I think.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 09, 2012, 05:32:21 PM

:D

Incidently they had another incident of handling the ball in their own penalty box and not being called by the ref today.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

I sure hope the US hasn't used up its officiating lucky break karma in Olympic Women's Soccer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014