News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

First medal! Silver in skeet shooting. Wooo!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Nobody can synchronize their dives like Chinese people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Speaking of China, I watched them lose to the South Korean women in archery and I couldn't help but think there should be Olympic Horse Archery.  Man that would be awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Warspite

Who cares if we get a medal or not, we stuffed Serbia in the handball :yeah:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valdemar on July 31, 2012, 04:33:52 AM
When UK got the OL they got a free ride into the tournament, but didn't have a national team, so they went to DK to train and learn. When they got a team they tried on a few danish teams and even lost to school teams :D but that was a few years ago :)

Not exactly.  FIBA was originally going to deny them the automatic berth because of the state of British basketball, but the Brits managed to convince FIBA that they could actually put together a competitive team.

Drakken

Quote from: Liep on July 30, 2012, 02:27:00 PM
A 15 year old Lithuanian girl won the women's 100m breaststroke. What the hell? :O

And a 16 year old Chinese swims her last 50m faster than Ryan Lochte or Michael Phelps with 30 pounds less of muscle, beats the record by more than 1 and a half second, yet she doesn't dope. :mellow:

Barrister

Well they were predicting a lot of swimming records would be broken - swimsuit technology has changed a lot since 2008. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on July 31, 2012, 02:17:34 PM
Well they were predicting a lot of swimming records would be broken - swimsuit technology has changed a lot since 2008. :mellow:

They were banned in 2010.

Valmy

I don't get the deal with shock over teen girls winning Olympic swimming events.  They have for years.  I remember a 14 year old American girl won a gold once...I think it was in Athens.  That is just something see alot in Women's sports, they reach their physical primes alot younger.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on July 31, 2012, 02:11:34 PM
And a 16 year old Chinese swims her last 50m faster than Ryan Lochte or Michael Phelps with 30 pounds less of muscle, beats the record by more than 1 and a half second, yet she doesn't dope. :mellow:

Maybe she is a physical freak with massive flipper-like feet and hands like Phelps has.

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2012, 02:20:06 PM
I don't get the deal with shock over teen girls winning Olympic swimming events.  They have for years.  I remember a 14 year old American girl won a gold once...I think it was in Athens.  That is just something see alot in Women's sports, they reach their physical primes alot younger.

I don't mind teens winning, but seeing totally unknown teenage girls going faster than adult young men twice their size and with thirty pounds more of muscle, and destroying records while doing that, should give pause. It's like seeing a 15 year old chinese run the 100m sprint faster than Usain Bolt and beat the OR by almost one second.

And let's not be idealistic, China is today's DDR and Soviets, sport-wise.

Valmy

I was speaking more about the Lithuanian girl there Drakken.  Not really sure what is up with that Chinese girl.

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2012, 02:21:00 PM
Maybe she is a physical freak with massive flipper-like feet and hands like Phelps has.

She's 5'8" and 140 pounds.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2012, 12:50:45 PM
Speaking of China, I watched them lose to the South Korean women in archery and I couldn't help but think there should be Olympic Horse Archery.  Man that would be awesome.

Mongolia would dominate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus