News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: katmai on July 29, 2012, 08:44:13 PM
I am all of a sudden interested in woman's field hockey thanks to the Dutch national team.
I think the appropriate smiley would be :PICS
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Warspite

The BBC have pointed out that they aren't actually doing any of the filming or feeds for the Olympics. By order of the IOC, that is all done by Olympic Broadcasting Services, who I understand are pulled-together freelancers and contractors. Danny Boyle had a huge fight with them over the opening ceremony cameras, as Shielbh point out in another thread I think.

After the debacle of the men's road race, you could tell the BBC studio were doing their own time splits for the women's race.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Syt

Another case of the high monetarization of the games. I would honestly prefer less glitzy or overhyped games.

Then again, we live in the age of BREAKING NEWS and constant media hysteria, so I guess I'm out of luck.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2012, 10:24:11 PM
Also, forgot to mention the roadrace showed London off quite well.  As a tourism advert it worked well in the CC household.  We decided we really do need to go back to London for a visit.

Yeah, I was thinking that just now; perhaps the games lasting achievement ?

I just caught a bit of the horse eventing, and thought that little grove of trees looks familiar, I'm guessing those are the ones in Greenwich park,to the right of the observatory, and turns out it the event was in there in Greenwich Park. 

So I all but went on line to book some tickets straight away, just to go to Greenwich, one of my fav bits of London, but I need to consult my calender first.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on July 30, 2012, 07:25:12 AM
The BBC have pointed out that they aren't actually doing any of the filming or feeds for the Olympics. By order of the IOC, that is all done by Olympic Broadcasting Services, who I understand are pulled-together freelancers and contractors. Danny Boyle had a huge fight with them over the opening ceremony cameras, as Shielbh point out in another thread I think.

After the debacle of the men's road race, you could tell the BBC studio were doing their own time splits for the women's race.

Cheers, that explains a lot, so it's not just me, the coverage is noteable inferior; I wonder if the OBS is any less corrupt than the IOC ?  :hmm:

I apologise to the Beeb for implying they were responsible.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Warspite on July 30, 2012, 07:25:12 AM

Thanks for that, I hadn't realised and have been cursing the BBC for their unusual amateurism  :huh:

Having learned how the IOC works over the past few weeks I'm starting to have considerable sympathy for the cities that host the games. Looks like they come from the same stable as van Rumpuy and that Porto-Maoist chap.

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2012, 04:31:45 PM
Watching the Chinese girl come from behind in the 400 IM was amazing.  Passed the American favourite like she was dead in the water.  Best moment so far.  Cant imagine how she was able to put on that kind of spurt at the end.

Turns out others were similarly impressed and there are now the inevitable whispers of doping.  But the IOC anti doping person has come to her defence.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/ioc-anti-doping-chief-defends-chinese-swim-star/article4448360/

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2012, 09:08:20 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2012, 04:31:45 PM
Watching the Chinese girl come from behind in the 400 IM was amazing.  Passed the American favourite like she was dead in the water.  Best moment so far.  Cant imagine how she was able to put on that kind of spurt at the end.

Turns out others were similarly impressed and there are now the inevitable whispers of doping.  But the IOC anti doping person has come to her defence.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/ioc-anti-doping-chief-defends-chinese-swim-star/article4448360/

Reading between the lines...he says they are focusing on testing now rather than doing it randomly, and focusing based on countries identified as dopers. And he says China isn't on that list, so...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on July 30, 2012, 07:33:54 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that just now; perhaps the games lasting achievement ?

Similarly, I know in the US for marathons the former Olympic courses have a lot of prestige and there is increased interest in those marathons. I would guess it is the same for other outdoor courses, though London may not use them going forward.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Liep

Norway is leading the Scandiweenian medal battle with an impressive 1 bronze against Denmark, Sweden and Finland's 0 medals.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on July 30, 2012, 11:22:25 AM
Norway is leading the Scandiweenian medal battle with an impressive 1 bronze against Denmark, Sweden and Finland's 0 medals.

Don't you big blond meatheads usually do well in weight lifting?  Y'all certainly dominate Strongest Man competitions.

Liep

I think rowing, badminton, swimming and sailing is where we'll find our medals. And of course, Wozniacki as a dark horse in tennis.

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on July 30, 2012, 11:22:25 AM

I remember there was much griping in 2008 that Canada hadn't won any medals in the first week.

Turns out all the events we are good at were in the second week, and we had an acceptable (but not great) result.  Perhaps the Scandiweenies are the same.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

I'm not really worried, not winning any medals usually leads to a funnier debate in the Danish newspapers than the "Wooo! We won in this sport we've never heard about before" articles.

For the Danes, I'm looking forward to Liberalkuglestøder.dk saying we need more funding for athletes if they don't win anything.

Liep

Wozzy is playing a Belgian chick and the current game has gone for over 15 minutes, advantage just keep changing. 9 game points for Wozniacki so far.