Started by Delirium, June 17, 2012, 04:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote#79: 3 / Synod of Emden

Message from France:
1-2/3 Suppress Heresy in France
Nantes converts and falls into unrest.

3/3 - 1 dip influence with Venice

Forgot to update Protestant spaces in CB but updated in ACTS.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Delirium

Quote from: szmik on July 15, 2012, 05:28:34 PMWhat's in it for me?  :yeahright: 

If you do not see the point in English piracy, then there is little that can be done except repeating in vain that England needs piracy to win. I am sorry you messed up with France but my advice was different than how you actually played it. And if you, as the rest of the board, are too intimidated by Spain to oppose him there is always Portugal to attack.

For the record, Spain is getting away much much too easy in this game.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

garbon

Has Portugal come into play yet?

Anyway, yes I don't really know what England was thinking this turn.  I'd suggest that France, England, HRE and Protestants communicate next turn about what we can do to curb the Ottomans and Spanish forces.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Delirium

Okay, if you guys did not see Portugal as a valid target it makes a bit more sense, but they are:

QuoteThe sea captain's power need not be at war with Spain or Portugal to initiate this piracy, and Portugal may be targeted at any time, even before the event Death of King Sebastian has made them a full participant in the game (or even if Portugal has entered the game and become a Spanish ally). The only restriction is that England or France may not pirate Portugal if currently allied with Portugal.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

garbon

Oh I did misread that as I have always thought they needed the Death of King Sebastian bit first. :)

garbon

Anyway, unlike with England, piracy is just one of many sources for the French to gain VP. When the Ottomans decided that France herself should be a target of said piracy efforts, it appeared only logical to support the Spanish.

szmik

Quote from: Delirium on July 16, 2012, 08:21:47 AM
Quote from: szmik on July 15, 2012, 05:28:34 PMWhat's in it for me?  :yeahright: 

If you do not see the point in English piracy, then there is little that can be done except repeating in vain that England needs piracy to win. I am sorry you messed up with France but my advice was different than how you actually played it. And if you, as the rest of the board, are too intimidated by Spain to oppose him there is always Portugal to attack.

For the record, Spain is getting away much much too easy in this game.

I prefer taking better odds than single sucky Hawkins, and I have to get rid of catholics sooner or later. That was as good time as any. Except I may not get better time to do this later.

Woot, I even got 1 piracy VP in the process, so what is it all about?
Not playing into your hands, I get it.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Delirium

Solmyr is up and cannot pass.

Delirium

I will presume we all have very good rationalizations for our actions, and "I will/won't do x just to spite you" is just as good as any, I suppose. That is, however, irrelevant to my point which still stands: Spain cannot be cuddled with, not normally and certainly not when played by the best player.

garbon

In spite of said "cuddling" Spain is currently down vp-wise and lost its monarch.

here's net change so far.
QuoteOttoman: +6
Spain: -1
England: +4
France: +3
Holy Roman Empire: +1
Protestants: 0

Solmyr

The Emperor patronizes Mercator. Over to whoever wants to continue. I will NOT pass next impulse.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2012, 04:51:15 PM
In spite of said "cuddling" Spain is currently down vp-wise and lost its monarch.

Facts will not dissuade Del from trying to get people to gang up on the guy who's lost ground.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Del's up since Katmai's out of cards.  I will likely be passing (and will try to do a file later tonight).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on July 16, 2012, 05:34:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2012, 04:51:15 PM

Facts will not dissuade Del from trying to get people to gang up on the guy who's lost ground.

Well of course. Easy way to distract from himself as he continues to gain ground each turn. I'd do the same. :D

Delirium

In his infinite wisdom, the Sultan has found it in his heart to offer to help the Protestant cause along through inspiring Iconoclastic Fury and letting Katmai von Orange make all relevant decisions, this in exchange for a card draw next turn.  :perv: