News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Alright, I'm thinking Berk won't declare any wars as he now has 4 (:D) - ulmont?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2012, 09:50:01 AM
Alright, I'm thinking Berk won't declare any wars as he now has 4 (:D) - ulmont?

Nah, I'm good.

garbon

I'm thinking Habbs is probably good too. Anything from you Drak?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on August 16, 2012, 09:44:58 AM
Just because you like to really make it clear how little you can be trusted?

Duly noted.

:huh: we had: no deal whatsoever.

Habbaku

Tamas the Trustworthy is up to SD.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on August 16, 2012, 10:34:26 AM
Tamas the Trustworthy is up to SD.

Yeah, just take up Berkut's line without blinking. :P

Besides, you are one to talk Mr. I Make Peace With HRE After Certain Things I Said To A Certain Somebody

My SD is everyone and their dog from Istanbul to Coron

garbon

This is about where it gets useful to create files again. :whistle:

Habbaku

It's cute that Tamas thinks I can harm the HRE in any way.  About as weird as Berkut thinking I should invade England.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Oh I definitely think you should have thought about invading England this turn.

Berkut

In general, England in TVQ seems very disconnected from the game, except in rather indirect manners.

They don't have Calais, so you don't see English armies on the continent much. Invading England seems nearly impossible, unless things go just right for Spain. The "normal" France/England animosity is not really there since they don't really even have anything to fight over.

So England pirates, does a little bit of religious stuff, and...what else? Collects VQ VPs each turn, I guess.

What can France do to harm England? What can England do to harm France? Just card play, so far as I can tell.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on August 16, 2012, 12:14:07 PM
In general, England in TVQ seems very disconnected from the game, except in rather indirect manners.

They don't have Calais, so you don't see English armies on the continent much. Invading England seems nearly impossible, unless things go just right for Spain. The "normal" France/England animosity is not really there since they don't really even have anything to fight over.

So England pirates, does a little bit of religious stuff, and...what else? Collects VQ VPs each turn, I guess.

What can France do to harm England? What can England do to harm France? Just card play, so far as I can tell.

yeah I was wondering about that.

Which should, I guess, a bit paradoxically, force more effort in the rivalry between England and it's natural rivals, since their struggle leans into very indirect territory, apart from the Spanish Main as a battleground.

Habbaku

I would definitely disagree that England cannot harm France.  The reverse is true barring extraordinary circumstances (Reiters and Foreign Volunteers in Scotland early in the game?), but England is definitely in a position in the mid-game to invade France and potentially grab Calais or Rouen--especially if the Protestants have run amok.

England's points of contention with the rest of the board are ensuring Scotland stays theirs (buying influence), worrying about Catholicism spreading in England, keeping Ireland (CSR or Ireland Rebels can take it away) and making sure the Protestants don't get smashed too poorly since they rely on Protestant spaces for some of their VPs.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

I'd agree that England seems almost like an unnecessary power in VQ in that it is in its own sandbox (and should largely stay there as an easy way to gain VPs). I guess fairly similar to real life but not particularly exciting.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on August 16, 2012, 12:30:01 PM
England's points of contention with the rest of the board are ensuring Scotland stays their's (buying influence), worrying about Catholicism spreading in England, keeping Ireland (CSR or Ireland Rebels can take it away) and making sure the Protestants don't get smashed too poorly since they rely on Protestant spaces for some of their VPs.

But most of that is really just internal. After all Spain, France and Protestants have to worry about religion spread as well as each other and HRE/Ottos as potential invaders.