News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Per Ed Beach, the Cyberboard and ACTS modules for Virgin Queen will "both...be live late this week," which gives us a few days to recruit in preparation.

The rules are here : http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/VQ_Rules_Final_Lo-Res.pdf

The scenario book/historical outline are here : http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/VQ_ScenarioBook_Final_Lo-Res.pdf

If you want to take a look at the game using the Vassal module, it is here : http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Virgin_Queen

Should be pretty easy to get enough people to join, but who's actually interested?  It's a game about on par in length to Here I Stand, albeit with more stuff to do and decisions to make during the turn.  Your time commitment would probably be a few minutes a day to check the game thread (nothing you don't do already on Languish) and answering diplomacy e-mails every time a turn interphase happens (probably once a week).  If you haven't played HIS before, don't feel intimidated as we've got plenty of veterans floating around to guide the way, but do take a look at the rules to see what you're getting in to.  The game's mechanics are very easy, but there can be a lot of intricacy in how the systems work together.

Thus far, I think we have both myself and Berkut.  Garbon?  Ulmont?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

I'm in. Need to do all my reading up on it now though to get my head around it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Syt

"Virgin Queen"? So it's a game about Mart?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I am in. I will tear you people apart.

Berkut

ANyone else having trouble downloading the Scenario book?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2012, 02:08:35 PM
ANyone else having trouble downloading the Scenario book?

No - downloaded it at lunch and again just now to test.  You need an email?

Tamas

Jaron

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2012, 01:56:01 PM
I am in. I will tear you people apart.

I am going to watch this thread closely. I can't wait to see this, Tamas. :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Drakken

I'm interested. I'll see to it that I shamelessly print the rulebook at work tomorrow.

Tamas

Martinus

I'm in if there is still space.

The Minsky Moment

I'd be game, but never played HIS and haven't played a game with diplo in 20 years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Drakken makes 6, unfortunately, but I'm sure we'll play again unless things explode.  We can easily cycle players when the time comes.

Until then, let's get down to power assignments.  Does anyone have any power(s) they do not want to play?

Currently, we have :

Habbaku
Berkut
Ulmont
Garbon
Drakken
Tamas

Roles available, in order of most complex to least complex to play (by my judgement) :

Spain
Protestants
France
England
Holy Roman Empire
Ottoman Empire

-J. R. R. Tolkien