News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

I look forward to seeing who will be added to Habbu's sig with an award for Asshattery. :)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2012, 12:07:12 PM
Drakken makes 6, unfortunately, but I'm sure we'll play again unless things explode.  We can easily cycle players when the time comes.

Put me down for next time.  :)

I didn't think I'd be up for speed fast enough to satisfy Habs, but I've been looking through the rules and I think I'd enjoy playing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

A chance to get fucked by Berkut and Habbs? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 10, 2012, 10:00:03 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2012, 12:07:12 PM
Drakken makes 6, unfortunately, but I'm sure we'll play again unless things explode.  We can easily cycle players when the time comes.

Put me down for next time.  :)

I didn't think I'd be up for speed fast enough to satisfy Habs, but I've been looking through the rules and I think I'd enjoy playing.

Oh like when we played that Rome game? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

1 move within 24 hours of your turn coming up is all that is generally expected.  Faster play is nice, but not demanded.  The real trouble comes when someone who says they can play at that pace (1/24 hrs) doesn't then play at that pace.

What I've seen inevitably happen with slower play--that is, longer than 1 play/48 hours--is that interest wanes and 1/48 hours becomes 1/72 hours, etc., until someone just stops responding.  I doubt this would happen on Languish, mind.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on May 10, 2012, 10:34:29 PM

1 move within 24 hours of your turn coming up is all that is generally expected.  Faster play is nice, but not demanded.  The real trouble comes when someone who says they can play at that pace (1/24 hrs) doesn't then play at that pace.

What I've seen inevitably happen with slower play--that is, longer than 1 play/48 hours--is that interest wanes and 1/48 hours becomes 1/72 hours, etc., until someone just stops responding.  I doubt this would happen on Languish, mind.

I have successfully played a few Languish online games.

the problem is - like Republic of Rome - is when I need some time to get up to speed on a new game.

Once I know the system I can easily do a move every 24 hours.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

On this point, I'm out of town fri-tue for a wedding, although I don't expect too much delay.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2012, 09:04:40 PM
Quote from: Drakken on May 10, 2012, 09:01:10 PM
However, I'm not sure starting this weekend is such a good idea, Mother's Day and shit. :unsure:

Too goddamned bad.  Berkut will expect you to complete at least 6 turns that day.

Unless of course the tide is turning against him Bagration-style, in which case he will just fade out :P

Tamas

Ottomans sounds good. Madrid by Christmas!

Viking

I've wanted to play this for some time now, I'll sub if anybody drops out.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

I like the fact that, as HRE, I get to secretly select whether I prefer siding with Catholics or Protestants, if I read the rules right.

garbon

So what happens to the wife of William of Orange if he goes back to the pool for not getting VP in his marriage? From what I read in 21.1, I guess the poor woman gets packed off and is out of the game?

Habbaku

Quote from: Drakken on May 11, 2012, 05:37:58 PM
I like the fact that, as HRE, I get to secretly select whether I prefer siding with Catholics or Protestants, if I read the rules right.

Yep.  You reveal your preference at the end of the game or when it would give enough for victory or to stop from someone from getting a domination win.

-J. R. R. Tolkien