News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 09:13:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 09:09:37 AM

That's an excellent question, actually. Scipio made it sound like Slavs were royally screwed over secular humanism en masse, whereas they only encountered (outside of those countries) with, hmmmm, communist secularism, which was about fucking you up if you kept going to churches. Not the same thing.

communist secularism? Did Stalin run a dictatorship on the principle of separation of Church and State? Not communist secularism; communist totalitarianism.

I know, I was just following the equatation (sp?) Scipio seems to have made

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 08:58:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 08:53:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 08:52:03 AM
Quote from: Scipio on May 08, 2012, 08:49:41 AM
Whatevs.  Y'all can sneer all you want.  Secular humanism hasn't done dick for the Slavs worldwide, so you'll pardon me if I cling bitterly to my religion and guns in the United States, where I live freely thanks in large part to flight from religious persecution.

I would put it that Slavs didn't do much for secular humanism ;)

SUBHUMAN FIGHT

aren't you, like, of Irish descent? The gypsies of western europe?

I'm also of German decent, which just made an appearance in this thread.  So there.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2012, 09:09:03 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 05:06:39 PM
So, when are you going to give the kids the opt-out option? I'm planning on sitting them down at age 12 and asking them what they think and if they want to continue the church going. Or if they express doubts earlier.

Atheist douchebag Dawkins type thinking? BEATINGS.

Have not thought that far ahead.  I guess I'll probably make them go through high school, then shame them into going for Christmas, Easter, etc. after that.

Why do you not go every week but your kid does?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 09:17:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 08:58:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 08:53:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 08:52:03 AM
Quote from: Scipio on May 08, 2012, 08:49:41 AM
Whatevs.  Y'all can sneer all you want.  Secular humanism hasn't done dick for the Slavs worldwide, so you'll pardon me if I cling bitterly to my religion and guns in the United States, where I live freely thanks in large part to flight from religious persecution.

I would put it that Slavs didn't do much for secular humanism ;)

SUBHUMAN FIGHT

aren't you, like, of Irish descent? The gypsies of western europe?

I'm also of German decent, which just made an appearance in this thread.  So there.

I also have some German blood in me, bruder!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 09:21:54 AM
I also have some German blood in me, bruder!

Cool.  Let's videotape each other shitting, post it on the internet and get rich!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 08:32:19 AM
I was always fascinated with the meeting between Jesus and Pontius Pilate.  I could never understand why Jesus just didn't play ball to save his own ass.

But then again, that was the point, wasn't it?

Yeah, that one and the one where Frodo travels all the way to the Crack of Doom and then doesn't throw the ring in.  I didn't get that one, either.

Again, probably a plot necessity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

CdM shits on his heritage yet again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2012, 09:24:14 AM
Yeah, that one and the one where Frodo travels all the way to the Crack of Doom and then doesn't throw the ring in.  I didn't get that one, either.

What do you mean?  That was obvious.  His personal will was overwhelmed by the power of the Ring.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

I was always fascinated with the meeting between Jesus and Pontius Pilate.  I could never understand why Jesus just didn't play ball to save his own ass.

8 year old CdM doesn't understand why you're such a mean old man.

Tamas

My lack of indoctrination shows well in case of the whole Jesus sacrifice thingie. Doesn't work with the omnipotent God angle. It also doesn't work with the non-opmnipotent God angle either.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 09:29:03 AM
My lack of indoctrination shows well in case of the whole Jesus sacrifice thingie. Doesn't work with the omnipotent God angle. It also doesn't work with the non-opmnipotent God angle either.

If God is Omnipotent how can something not work for him? :hmm:

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 09:32:30 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 09:29:03 AM

If God is Omnipotent how can something not work for him? :hmm:

Well, is God were Omnipotent then he could just change the law without having to redeem humanity by means of human sacrifice.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2012, 09:18:41 AM
Why do you not go every week but your kid does?

I PUT MY TIME IN WHEN I WAS A KID.  NOW IT'S HIS TURN.

But seriously, my wife has been working Sundays, so I stay home with my 1-year old girl.  I could take her with me and drop her off in the nursery while I attend the morning service, but I feel weird doing that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 09:44:34 AM
Well, is God were Omnipotent then he could just change the law without having to redeem humanity by means of human sacrifice.

Well if God were omnipotent he could do it however he wanted.  Everything works in that framework.

Why?  God did it.  Why did he do it?  Because he wanted to.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2012, 09:49:09 AM
I PUT MY TIME IN WHEN I WAS A KID.  NOW IT'S HIS TURN.

But seriously, my wife has been working Sundays, so I stay home with my 1-year old girl.  I could take her with me and drop her off in the nursery while I attend the morning service, but I feel weird doing that.

Why?  The going to church alone thing?