News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 10:54:15 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 10:53:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 10:50:31 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 10:49:38 AM
It just occured to me that religion may be God's ultimate test.  If you manage to resist indoctrination and realize that atheism is the one true answer, you passed God's test, and you go to Heaven.

Your like the 20,000th guy to suggest that.
Burn in hell, you godless freak.  :mad:

Sorry

You're like the 20,000th guy to suggest that.

:lol:

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 10:59:22 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 10:56:06 AM
Don't take it personally, I was just having a second go at trying to come up with something original.

The thing is that every argument for and against the existence of god apart from the watchmaker argument was fully developed by 270 BC and the watchmaker argument died in 1859.
I guess in light of that, being the 20,000th guy isn't so bad.

Razgovory

I wonder what they called the watchmaker article before there were watches.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

The thing is that every argument for and against the existence of god apart from the watchmaker argument was fully developed by 270 BC and the watchmaker argument died in 1859.

The Unification of Italy proved that no higher power could possibly have put the Universe in motion?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 10:42:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 10:37:59 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2012, 10:33:56 AM
Why are you guys encouraging Viking here?  It's like discussing how bad Israel is with Slargos.

Yeah he really has no sense of humor about this stuff does he?
Neither does anybody else for that matter. I have been jaded by too many poes on this topic, so I treat them all as serious if they post sans emoticons.

No, you're simply hateful.  You've been jaded because your hatred makes you say stupid things and then you get called on it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 11:10:34 AM

The Unification of Italy proved that no higher power could possibly have put the Universe in motion?

The publication of On the Origin of Species

Edit: Also that no rational higher power would ever permit Italy to reform ;)

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2012, 11:08:36 AM
I wonder what they called the watchmaker article before there were watches.

I believe Aristotle called it the unmoved first mover.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 11:13:21 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 11:12:37 AM

Why couldn't one say that is part of the mechanism?

Yes you can say that. Shooting down the argument from design doesn't disprove god, it merely conclusively removed it as an argument for the existence of god. Basically before 1859 you could argue that the giraffes neck was proof of gods existence because it must have been designed by a mind. Darwin showed that you don't need to get a designer to get diversity of species. 

DGuller

Why couldn't one say that everything is part of the mechanism or test of faith, including the things Bible and religion got wrong?  The problem is that you can't disprove this argument ever.

Razgovory

I always thought the fixation on Evolution was strange.  Why not geology, or linguistics or history?

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 11:18:37 AM
Yes you can say that. Shooting down the argument from design doesn't disprove god, it merely conclusively removed it as an argument for the existence of god. Basically before 1859 you could argue that the giraffes neck was proof of gods existence because it must have been designed by a mind. Darwin showed that you don't need to get a designer to get diversity of species. 

Ah ok.  That does make sense.  That specific angle on it anyway.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 11:19:29 AM
Why couldn't one say that everything is part of the mechanism or test of faith, including the things Bible and religion got wrong?  The problem is that you can't disprove this argument ever.

Well if you accept a specific construct for the universe you have to do this.  By definition everything the universe contains must be consistent somehow with what your believe.

But I was specifically referring to the watchmaker idea and how the Origin of Species disproved it.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 11:21:59 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 11:18:37 AM

Ah ok.  That does make sense.  That specific angle on it anyway.

To be honest before 1859 you could not be an honest well informed rational atheist because of the design argument.

Edit: This is why evolution is the biggie for the creationists if you disprove evolution then they think they can return to the design argument.