And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2023, 04:00:16 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2023, 02:46:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2023, 07:06:33 AMAmanda Plummer is awesome. This is all I have to say. -_-

Yeah, this week's episode was pretty meh, but she livened it up considerably.  :lol:

I love how she can go from intimidated/scared to cold/calculating ("Again. ... Again."  :ph34r: ) to over the top hammy villain from one take to the next. And it obviously helps that her character has a quite justified grudge against the Federation. Probably the best Trek villain since Khan and Gul Dukat? :hmm: (Though Trek doesn't generally have a strong rogue's gallery of really good, compelling villains.)

It's definitely the best villain of all the new batch of Trek. It also helps that they also give a reasoning for her insanity/hamminess so it's just not Plummer playing over the top for its own sake.

There are some other memorable Trek villains. General Chang, Weyoun, Kruge... NOT the Borg Queen though. I hate the Borg Queen.

Syt

I'm neutral towards the concept of a Borg queen. FWIW I did enjoy Annie Wirsching's performance in S2 of Picard (RIP :cry: ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I think the Borg Queen undercuts the concept of the Borg as, essentially, grey goo. We have plenty of villainous factions with charismatic individual leaders, no need to make the Borg just another one.

Syt

I get that, but I also think that ship kinda sailed when we were introduced to Locutus of Borg. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

That was a kind of an one-off though, not part of how the Collective was supposed to function. Anyway, what's done it's done, but I still hate it  :P

Incidentally, not that I need them to show up in Picard, but I wonder what the Vorta and the Jem-Hadar are up to these days. It was always kinda strange how everything Dominion-related was always sorta contained to DS9, with little reference to it in other shows/movies - despite the Dominion Wars being such a galaxy scale event - until this season of Picard.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2023, 04:00:16 AM(Though Trek doesn't generally have a strong rogue's gallery of really good, compelling villains.)
Moriarty, Gul Dukhat, Seska (B-), Weyoun, Khan, Sela, Captain Angel, Lore,

I think they had some good ones.  Seska in Voyager was the weakest one, but still enjoyable.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2023, 05:56:25 AMThat was a kind of an one-off though, not part of how the Collective was supposed to function. Anyway, what's done it's done, but I still hate it  :P

Incidentally, not that I need them to show up in Picard, but I wonder what the Vorta and the Jem-Hadar are up to these days. It was always kinda strange how everything Dominion-related was always sorta contained to DS9, with little reference to it in other shows/movies - despite the Dominion Wars being such a galaxy scale event - until this season of Picard.

Voyager were lights years away.  But once they got messages from the Alpha Quadrant, they learnt about the Dominion and the fate of the Maquis.  The Jem-Hadar appeared in holographic form in the episode "Flesh and Blood" of Voyager.

By the time the TNG movies post First Contact were released, I think the war was over.  During First Contact Worf was on DS9, he joined the fight with the Defiant, but the war with the Dominion hadn't begun yet.

By the next movie, I think we see admiral Janeway, and Voyager came back after the war.

Imho, there is a huge plot hole here in Picard.

Plummer's character said the cure wasn't given, one of their own had to steal it.  That was false.  O'Brian and Bashir stole it from Section 31 to cure Odo and Odo was allowed to go back to the great link to cure everyone, after curing the female changeling in the DS9 finale.

Considering that the Founders were well on their way to commit a genocide of their own, at least on Cardassia, it's very hard to take the high moral ground here...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Weyoun was indeed great. Combs Also did a decent foe to friend turn as Shran
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Insurrection was set during the Dominion War. The Federation was keen to harness the rejuvenation powers of the Elf planet to deal with the influx of war wounded.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2023, 11:24:42 AMImho, there is a huge plot hole here in Picard.

Plummer's character said the cure wasn't given, one of their own had to steal it.  That was false.  O'Brian and Bashir stole it from Section 31 to cure Odo and Odo was allowed to go back to the great link to cure everyone, after curing the female changeling in the DS9 finale.

Considering that the Founders were well on their way to commit a genocide of their own, at least on Cardassia, it's very hard to take the high moral ground here...

The stealing she mentioned was bashir stealing it from section 31. One of their own was one of star fleets own, not a founder
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2023, 11:25:36 AMWeyoun was indeed great. Combs Also did a decent foe to friend turn as Shran

Lack of Jeffrey Combs in the current incarnation of Trek, given that he played like 34243545463 characters in the old shows, is disappointing  <_<

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2023, 11:24:42 AMImho, there is a huge plot hole here in Picard.

Plothole, or a very biased view of the events on her side.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2023, 11:29:23 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2023, 11:25:36 AMWeyoun was indeed great. Combs Also did a decent foe to friend turn as Shran

Lack of Jeffrey Combs in the current incarnation of Trek, given that he played like 34243545463 characters in the old shows, is disappointing  <_<

From failed riker to a great part of Star Trek. They could have made him the voice of the Shrike. Tying in some lower decks too  :D

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2023, 11:29:23 AM

He did show up on Lower Decks. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould