News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

It was a bit more than a suggestion, he spent the episode badgering him, which makes him just as bad a number one as riker is a leader.  But they kissed and made up, so it's all good.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Picard was not the First Officer, he is an admiral (retired).  But you have to forget all of that for the scene to make any sense.

Tamas

The thing about the holo deck being kept on and used was super-lame (right, never in the series history did they hook up something to somewhere else to get out of a bind so makes sense to waste that independent power source on it), but otherwise a nice episode, felt like a homage to various TNG tropes. Possibly the best Picard episode, although the competition isn't very tough there.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on March 11, 2023, 04:47:47 AMThe thing about the holo deck being kept on and used was super-lame (right, never in the series history did they hook up something to somewhere else to get out of a bind so makes sense to waste that independent power source on it), but otherwise a nice episode, felt like a homage to various TNG tropes. Possibly the best Picard episode, although the competition isn't very tough there.

It also had a lot of Wrath of Khan (hiding inside a nebula that obscures sensors, the "space birth"...)

But yeah, it was classic trek updated for the current age. I wish modern trek was more like that instead of what we got instead (outside of Strange New Worlds).

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2023, 04:09:47 PMIt wasn't his call though, it was a suggestion that Riker followed, and then Riker orders him off the bridge.  Good example of bad leadership. 

Yeah, I couldn't remember at first, but when I saw the recap the other day, I was wondering what Riker was on about. Everything that happened was Riker's decision. In a court martial, he'd be to blame.

In any case, Picard got them out of that jam.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on March 11, 2023, 04:47:47 AMThe thing about the holo deck being kept on and used was super-lame (right, never in the series history did they hook up something to somewhere else to get out of a bind so makes sense to waste that independent power source on it), but otherwise a nice episode, felt like a homage to various TNG tropes. Possibly the best Picard episode, although the competition isn't very tough there.

When they first went into the holo deck, my first thought was, "hey, isn't the ship on essentials only?" and then the writers came up with that stupid excuse :lol:
I mean if you do have an independent power source...why not use it on something useful, like shields or something.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Really enjoyed the first "arc" of the new season. It had a bunch of potential "jump the shark" moments, like introducing Jake Crusher, but I think it was overall handled well. Is it Best of Both Worlds, All Good Things, or First Contact? No. But it feels like a proper send off, more like Undiscovered Country, and it feels more like what Nemesis should have been, maybe? It's good to see the old crew chemistry back.

I had no issues with the Ryker/Picard scuffle. Ryker was checking in with Picard numerous times, because he could tell his friend was emtionally unbalanced after seeing Crusher again and the realization of having a son. hell, he put his son's life over the ones of the crew. So Ryker flying off his handle at him, himself being under the stress of being thrown into command in a life/death situation after years of (mostly) retirement, made sense to me. And they patched it over quickly enough to be believable. Sometimes you get really mad at friends (often more than at strangers, because you expect better), but you also move past it fast. And it served to set up a team effort to get out of the mess.

I'm ok with bringing back (a faction of) the Dominion. Would have liked more DS9 involvement, but alas. :P

Oh, and the autonomous energy source for the holodeck - I think it makes sense to have that, to keep the crew somewhat sane if things fall apart (compare to Voyager's Equinox who had no such luxuries), but yeah, why they couldn't patch that energy source into the ship? No idea. My headcanon is that they have some super efficient tech-tech so that the holodeck doesn't need much power, or at least not enough to save the ship, or that it's some special holodeck energy that's only efficient when used for that and otherwise couldn't power a transistor radio. :nerd:

I secretly hope that we get a USS Titan show with Cpt. Shaw and Cmdr. Seven, but I guess that'd be too much to hope for (and probably too similar to Strange New Worlds. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2023, 01:39:59 AMI secretly hope that we get a USS Titan show with Cpt. Shaw and Cmdr. Seven, but I guess that'd be too much to hope for (and probably too similar to Strange New Worlds. :D

There was this time where every character in Discovery was supposed to get a spinoff... What happened to Section 31, by the way? Although I suppose Yeoh will now have many things on her table...

Syt

Yeah, not sure they can afford her anymore. :D

Oddly, while I like the Disco crew, I don't know if I would want to watch a spin off focused exclusively on any of them. Maybe one with Book and Michael going off on adventures, or do spec ops work for the federation?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Section 31 is still meant to be happening.
I do wonder to what extent Discovery is to thank for Everything, Everywhere, bridging Yeoh into sci fi et al.  It does seem to have really rebooted her career.

Honestly as much as I love Star Trek I really don't want it becoming the MCU Paramount is aiming for.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on March 16, 2023, 04:23:14 AMSection 31 is still meant to be happening.
I do wonder to what extent Discovery is to thank for Everything, Everywhere, bridging Yeoh into sci fi et al.  It does seem to have really rebooted her career.

Honestly as much as I love Star Trek I really don't want it becoming the MCU Paramount is aiming for.

"bringing" Michelle Yeoh into sci-fi? :yeahright:

OK, maybe they're more fantasy than sci-fi, but she's been in James Bond, Crouching Tiger, and a Mummy sequel.

Yeah, I love me some Star Trek, and it's a valuable property for Paramount, but it's still kind of niche in its appeal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2023, 01:39:59 AMI'm ok with bringing back (a faction of) the Dominion. Would have liked more DS9 involvement, but alas. :P

I demand a miles cameo
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Well, that was a very unexpected cameo. :D

And no, I don't mean Kirk Acevedo as gangster - during the episode I was ... "Wait, isn't that Joe Toye from Band of Brothers?" :lol:

All the same: the plot thickens! :o
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

I'm a little in shock. Season 3 of Picard is actually making me care about its characters and their stories. It's actually really good man. The last couple episodes have been great.

This should have been season 1.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

I had given up on this show, but decided to give it one more episode.  I am glad I did, the fourth episode was great.