News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 19, 2023, 10:43:22 AMThing with TNG is that that was during the day when 24 episodes were the norm. Because of this every season had its meh episodes. I remember back in the day watching it "live" with my roommate, and whenever an episode featured Worf's son, or Deanna's mom,  we were like, "fuck, we looked forward to a new episode the whole week, and this is what we get."
The main theme of this story is that contrary to TOS, this time around, families were living aboard the ships.  Which is pretty stupid, even for exploration ships, but anyway.  Having stories about a ship's crew where some of their families live onboard and not having anyone else's family visit from time to time would have been strange. :)

But they weren't the worst stories, imho.

Wesley gets in trouble, Deanna's love stories, Holodeck malfunction, some new virus gets a cure by the end of the episode, some of the crew suffer mutations, Goerdi's visor malfunctions, etc, etc.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Don't forget the stereotypical ethnic planet episodes like space tribal Africa and space ireland :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2023, 10:48:42 AMWesley gets in trouble, Deanna's love stories, Holodeck malfunction, some new virus gets a cure by the end of the episode, some of the crew suffer mutations, Goerdi's visor malfunctions, etc, etc.

I'll give you the Wusley gets in trouble, but that's just a kid story like Worf's son.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2023, 01:26:24 PMDon't forget the stereotypical ethnic planet episodes like space tribal Africa and space ireland :P
Yes. That too.  It's a series I am not rewatching for sure.
I am through S6 of SG1 right now and that's nice. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I still keep it on my rewatch list. The good makes up for the bad, but DS9 is my go to.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2023, 04:51:30 PMI still keep it on my rewatch list. The good makes up for the bad, but DS9 is my go to.
I've watched the reruns of the best episodes on CTV Sci-fi, but I wouldn't binge the entire series again like I did for DS9 a few years ago. :)

Syt

I thought this was the weakest episode this season so far. Really didn't like Geordie's initial portrayal - way too timid/scared? I liked the idea, not the execution. Though I loved Shaw getting fully starstruck when meeting his personal legend. :lol:

Also, I guess Section 31 just keeps bodies of Starfleet captains lying around? Picard's original body, James T. Kirk ... :unsure:

Loved the nostalgia-bait at the starship museum, though. :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

I liked it. Bringing the band back together.

"Superior Klingon technology."  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Couple more thoughts.

Trek Culture pointed out that blurry in the back there's another Captain stored in Daystrom Station - Archer. I'm waiting for Cpt. Tarantino walking in, berating folks, "Does this look like a dead captain storage?" :P

Also, the Starfleet ships all being interlinked ... I mean Battlestar Galactica apparently didn't exist as a show in the Trek universe. Also, after the near-disaster at the end of Prodigy's Season 1, you'd think they'd know better than that. :D

The nostalgia bits were really nice, IMO, in that they mostly made sense. Yes, S31 would probably have a bunch of shady shit from previous Trek stories piled somewhere "just in case." Like the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

And if you want to give nostalgia-vibes with old vessels - put them in a museum. This ties them reasonably well into the story.

Prediction: a battle between new networked ships and old, legendary non-networked ships is coming. (Maybe with "restored" original captains ... we saw Kirk, Archer, Worf is there for the Defiant, Janeway has been namedropped a few times .... or would that be TOO gratuitous? :P :nerd: )

Actually, I kinda like how they make the Starfleet ships seem sinister this time - using ominous view angles, no view of the crews aboard ...  :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Yeah, it was good to see all those STNG people together again. Fitting tribute to the series. Surprised Chief O'Brian isn't in it so far. He normally takes any role. I personally want to see Barclay come back.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Crazy_Ivan80

I'm enjoying this far more than I could have expected. The series should have led with this (or at least something in this vein since we don't know how it ends)

celedhring

O'Brien can't show up without being involved in some nightmarish sadistic sci-fi plot. Hasn't he suffered enough already?  :lol:

Syt

Amanda Plummer is awesome. This is all I have to say. -_-
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2023, 07:06:33 AMAmanda Plummer is awesome. This is all I have to say. -_-

Yeah, this week's episode was pretty meh, but she livened it up considerably.  :lol:

Last week's episode I thought was pretty uneven, but I enjoyed Star Trek's version of the Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2023, 02:46:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2023, 07:06:33 AMAmanda Plummer is awesome. This is all I have to say. -_-

Yeah, this week's episode was pretty meh, but she livened it up considerably.  :lol:

I love how she can go from intimidated/scared to cold/calculating ("Again. ... Again."  :ph34r: ) to over the top hammy villain from one take to the next. And it obviously helps that her character has a quite justified grudge against the Federation. Probably the best Trek villain since Khan and Gul Dukat? :hmm: (Though Trek doesn't generally have a strong rogue's gallery of really good, compelling villains.)
—Stephen Jay Gould