News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Episode 3 was enjoyable, Again fell on a bit too much pseudo-emotional claptrap. I wish modern Stat Trek found writers capable of conveying human emotion and character outside of long-winded speeches (Shaw works perfectly as a character without dopey monologues about his past).

The cat and mouse space scenes were decent, although the conflict between Riker and Picard felt a bit forced. Still, this feels more like old Star Trek brought up to modern sensibilities than the previous seasons were.

Also, the Dominion coming back is cheap nostalgia, but this is a Picard show, so nostalgia is the main play and that's fine. I would certainly not objet to Jeffrey Combs popping up in this.

mongers

So what is the Star Trek episode/film that early on features the original warp drive inventor lauching an improvised space craft from his forest/wilderness workshop/house?

Because thats as far as I got with the franchise and am considering picking up from that spot. :whistle:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on March 04, 2023, 10:50:24 AMSo what is the Star Trek episode/film that early on features the original warp drive inventor lauching an improvised space craft from his forest/wilderness workshop/house?

Because thats as far as I got with the franchise and am considering picking up from that spot. :whistle:

Star Trek: First Contact (movie)

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2023, 10:55:24 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 04, 2023, 10:50:24 AMSo what is the Star Trek episode/film that early on features the original warp drive inventor lauching an improvised space craft from his forest/wilderness workshop/house?

Star Trek: First Contact (movie)

Most excellent celedhring, thank you for the swift answer. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

It was well received at the time, but not my favorite Trek movie. I have always disliked the character of the Borg Queen, it undermined the idea of a Collective just to give the audiences a traditional villain.

crazy canuck

I thought it was a mess of an episode - after years of working together, all of a sudden Riker loses faith in Picard's judgment?  That makes no sense. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2023, 11:47:29 AMI thought it was a mess of an episode - after years of working together, all of a sudden Riker loses faith in Picard's judgment?  That makes no sense. 
More like he has no faith in his ship.  The fact that Picard acted to save his son rather than his crew would also weigh on him, but not as much as Shaw's incompetence of not leaving when he had a chance.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2023, 03:50:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2023, 11:47:29 AMI thought it was a mess of an episode - after years of working together, all of a sudden Riker loses faith in Picard's judgment?  That makes no sense. 
More like he has no faith in his ship.  The fact that Picard acted to save his son rather than his crew would also weigh on him, but not as much as Shaw's incompetence of not leaving when he had a chance.

Yeah I can attribute it to Riker mentioning "this is not the Enterprise", so no too bad.

celedhring

I love Captain Shaw, but it is super-weird they have given him pretty much the same backstory as Ben Sisko for disliking Picard. Given that they seem to be treating him as some kind of "Changeling expert", I wonder if his character was meant to be Sisko in an earlier draft - although Avery Brooks would be far too old to be in active service.

Anyway, I thought this episode was great. Easily the best so far of the show.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2023, 06:21:01 AMI love Captain Shaw, but it is super-weird they have given him pretty much the same backstory as Ben Sisko for disliking Picard. Given that they seem to be treating him as some kind of "Changeling expert", I wonder if his character was meant to be Sisko in an earlier draft - although Avery Brooks would be far too old to be in active service.

Anyway, I thought this episode was great. Easily the best so far of the show.

Sad if so.  I really hate it when shows do that.
Googling recent photos of Brooks he doesn't look so bad. Easy to imagine in the future 74 being a perfectly normal age to keep working a job that is entirely a choice anyway. Makeup and effects could even help cover some signs of aging.

So makes me wonder then why Brooks didn't get involved.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Maybe he just didn't want to get involved? Some actors feel they like to move on. Who knows? But given all the Deep Space Nine references, I wouldn't be surprised if they did intend it to be Sisko.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

It was a big deal, plenty of people probably would dislike Picard for it. Hell Picard disliked Picard for a long time too :D

Plus sisko is a god now, so beyond age I'd be weird to bring him back
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on March 07, 2023, 04:22:31 PM

Yeah I can attribute it to Riker mentioning "this is not the Enterprise", so no too bad.

Did Picard suddenly lose all his knowledge and experience?

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2023, 03:17:45 PM

Apparently, since he made a bad call :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on March 10, 2023, 03:34:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2023, 03:17:45 PM

Apparently, since he made a bad call :D

It wasn't his call though, it was a suggestion that Riker followed, and then Riker orders him off the bridge.  Good example of bad leadership.