News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Isn't Brook's kind of kooky? Would he even come back?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Not gonna lie, looking forward to this, though I imagine some "hardcore fans" might have an issue or two with it on principle, esp. as described in the article below (some minor spoilers, I guess). :D

Jonathan Frakes Previews "Absurd" 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' / 'Lower Decks' Crossover Episode[Url]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2023, 05:01:03 AMThe chemistry between the "old crew" is incredible, btw. And seeing them all together in the meeting room made me actually tear up a bit. :cry:

Yes that was great.

They are so old though. :(

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on April 13, 2023, 03:15:15 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2023, 05:01:03 AMThe chemistry between the "old crew" is incredible, btw. And seeing them all together in the meeting room made me actually tear up a bit. :cry:

Yes that was great.

They are so old though. :(

yeah, that's what gets me....that I've aged as well.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Blah. Episode ruined the whole season. It's like Picard has 4 characters/plot points and just recycles them between seasons. Shame.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on April 13, 2023, 05:07:03 PMBlah. Episode ruined the whole season. It's like Picard has 4 characters/plot points and just recycles them between seasons. Shame.

I liked it. I thought it gave the show a sense of having a series arc, even if obviously after the fact :P And I endorse the message that young people suck  :P

The problem is also that season 2 was so confusing Arent the Borg supposed to be peaceful now? Isn't the Queen Alison Pill? Why does Picard say they haven't seen them in 10 years?

The episode itself was good. There were a bit too many plot contrivances, but were outweighted by the cool ideas like the stealth DNA modification that only affects young people, and the whole "bio-borg" idea. Also Shaw  :(

Nitpick: How can they fly the D without a crew? Also, I do hope the show doesn't end without them elaborating a bit more on the Borg/Changeling connection.

Syt

I'm conflicted about the last episode. I thought the villain plot was kinda neat (kind of a stealth assimilation, and also explaining why some characters were careful not to use transporters, like Ro Laren - but if she knew something was up with them, maybe she should have been more open in her documentation so the heroes could look into it sooner?). However, I feel it also tips its hand a lot as to how things will go down - I assume Jack, as "transmitter"/Vox will override the mass assimilation somehow and restore things to how they were - because we can't lose Geordie's daughters now, can we? ;) Bit surprised by Beverly's comment that the Borg haven't been around in a decade ... guess she didn't watch or just ignores Season 2. :P Very unclear on what the part of the Changelings was in all this (were they also somewhow part of the collective? Is "the hand"/goo face the Borg Queen? :hmm: Not sure how I feel about the "millennials ruin everything" subtext :D  

And killing Shaw? <_< I hope they get to nanotech him back to live, because I want a show set on the Titan.

Some of the humor was again amazing, though.
"The robot is right."
"Can you be more positive?" - "I hope we die quickly? :w00t: "

The final scene was nostalgia overdrive, though, including especially Majel Barret's voice. :cry: Though them all being back in their familiar chairs drives home even more how much time has passed and how old they are. As to how the ship operates ... eh, they did the same in Search for Spock, so I guess there's some sort of skeleton crew mode of operation. Alternatively, Geordie restored it in a way that it can be run with minimal crew for visitors at the museum. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

I liked the humour too. Worf usually steals it, but data was great. The borg thing annoyed me not just because they drew it back, but the retcon was weird. Like cel said I thought the borg were good now. Did season 2 not happen? Is good borg pill going to devs ex machina fly in and save the day? All the previous voyager stuff about communicating through sub space with a brain implant not canon anymore? They're genetic psychics now? All very displeasing.

Shaw was a bummer too. If the we're gonna kill another axillary character to keep their streak alive, I would have preferred raf :P

celedhring

Michael Dorn is a master at turning potentially terrible jokes into home-runs with his wonderfully deadpan-but-not-completely delivery.  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2023, 03:10:10 AMI liked the humour too. Worf usually steals it, but data was great. The borg thing annoyed me not just because they drew it back, but the retcon was weird. Like cel said I thought the borg were good now. Did season 2 not happen? Is good borg pill going to devs ex machina fly in and save the day? All the previous voyager stuff about communicating through sub space with a brain implant not canon anymore? They're genetic psychics now? All very displeasing.

Shaw was a bummer too. If the we're gonna kill another axillary character to keep their streak alive, I would have preferred raf :P

I believe they said somewhere it was a "new sect" of Borg at the end of S2, not the "main Borg".
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

The baseball episode of DS9 is one of my favs because of dorn. Brook is at his he overly intense best too. I also like that the actor who played Rom actually was a real baseball player in his youth. Had to play with his off hand to play badly.

I really should watch DS9 again.

viper37

I didn't like how they bring this old villain again.

I also don't get the changeling plan to deal with them once they're done with the Federation, they won't stop there.

The Borg hate their biological imperfection, it makes no sense to plot some biological transmitter into Picard well in advance in the hope they would someday take over the Federation.  From First Contact, they sorta idolize Data because he's full machine.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Trek Culture reminded me of what I thought earlier in the season (I think I may have mentioned above), i.e. that the "let's network all our ships" and it going badly seems especially stupid after Lower Decks S3 (where networked AI controlled ships wreaked havoc) and Star Trek Prodigy (where Starfleet ships were hijacked to kill each other by a virus as soon as they had communications connections), both happened before the events in this season ... Hard to disagree that apprently the writers across shows don't talk much to each other. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

They also keep getting evil admirals, so clearly Star Trek doesn't learn from their mistakes :D

Syt

Starfleet High Command: "Third time's the charm, right?"

Well, they can now blame all badmirals on Changeling infiltration. :P

Speaking of badmirals - loved the cameo from Adm. Shelby ... heard the name during the episode and thought, "Oh, that's awesome bringing her back" (she was on Best of Borth Worlds as Riker's "rival" ... only to kill her within seconds). -_- )
—Stephen Jay Gould