News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Yeah, it was what I wanted from this series when it was first announced. Pity we only just got it now. The TNG crew finally got the send off it deserves.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Crazy_Ivan80

just binged watched the last 6 episodes over the last 2 days...
It was worth the wait.
The emotional pay-off was up there with 'The undiscovered country'.
(edit: basically by doing what Star Wars refused -in all likelyhood- to do: bring back the crew and put them together where they belong)

So it did what it had to do as far as I'm concerned.
Could certainly watch a series with the new crew if quality is at least on par with this*. (still hoping to see a Sovereign class on screen again)
(and I've been equally pleasantly surprised by Lower Decks' 3 seasons. So I'll give the series with Pike a shot too)

viper37

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 22, 2023, 04:32:41 PMSo I'll give the series with Pike a shot too)
It's worth it.  Much better than Discovery.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Some insights on what the creators initially envisioned for this season.

Quote"Ro, there was a scene in which they found Ro Laren in the dungeons of the Intrepid with Tuvok, and that she had survived. We weren't able to pull off. Harry Kim had appeared at one point. We really wanted to bring back ... we wanted Kate Mulgrew to be part of Seven of Nine's promotion. These are all things that ... they're all in the first script, and then your line producer says 'Are you out of your f***in' mind? You can't afford these things. You are not 'Avengers: Endgame." So they got to go away. And so those are our regrets. But I'm very happy with what we were able to pull off."

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/1263923/picard-season-3-originally-featured-captain-janeway-ro-laren-survived/

I like this line producer :D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Overall, I think the finale was a fun action peace with some nice tying up of ends overall. However, it's best not to think about some of the plot points too much. :D

SPOILERS BELOW (just off the top of my head):

- Mega Borg Cube was hiding in the most notable feature of Jupiter without Starfleet noticing (even assuming that Changeling Badmirals diverted attention)?
- the Starfleet ship linking requires line of sight? Seems like a weird design decision :D
- there's going to be a lot of traumatized Starfleet personnel - either young ones who were assimilated for a while and killed a bunch of senior staff, or senior staff who killed a bunch of young Starfleet members
- a "kill switch" for the assimilation process, i.e. kill the signal, and all affected people immediately de-assimilate?
- disconnecting from the Borg collective has become a bit easier, I guess :D (Was also a thing in Prodigy's "Let Sleeping Borg Lie" episode)
- what happened to Laris? Did Picard dump her? Wouldn't be so weird if they hadn't added her prominently at the start of the season. :P
- Riker's and Troi's daughter was supposedly at Starfleet Academy - yet no mention of concern about her during the whole thing? :D
- Q being back after a tearful good bye last season ("You think in such linear terms" - so, is it Q from the past traveling through time and what not? I know time has no meaning for the Q, but still ... or maybe he just "died" for Picard's sake to close off that particular chapter?) :hmm:

Nevertheless, I can forgive all those, and I really liked this season, thanks to Amanda Plummer as Vadic, the old crew getting back together, Shaw, Ed Speleers ... I know people give Rafi a lot of crap, but I like her character and her interactions with Worf (who was the unexpected deadpan comic relief I didn't know I wanted :D "And I will make it a threesome!" - "Do you even hear yourself??" :lol: ), even though her character arcs in the shown overall often start interesting and then feel forgotten/are reset between seasons, it seems. The season also hit a good balance of serious beats, cheese, and whimsy. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Yeah it was good to have a TNG send-off with the pathos they deserve for their role in nerd culture and all that, but god damn the story was weak and ridiculous.

Syt

You can now tour all Enterprise bridges, from Original Series to Picard S3:

http://roddenberry.x.io/

Really nice recreations. :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Good opener to S2 of Strange New Worlds. :)

Pulpy action, some good character moments. Not a fan of the use of the 180° camera flip that was overused on Discovery so much.

Carol Kane's intro as new engineer works well for me, including "her age". :lol: She gives me some Noranti energy, from S4 of Farscape (who was introduced with 0 explanation in the opening action scene of season 4, and even played up with the crew being confused where she came and her basically acting like she's been with the crew since forever - just Farscape things :lol: )
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2023, 01:14:29 AMGood opener to S2 of Strange New Worlds. :)

Pulpy action, some good character moments. Not a fan of the use of the 180° camera flip that was overused on Discovery so much.

Carol Kane's intro

THAT'S who that was. LOL. Fuck she's aged.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

The best part about Noranti is that they made the drug peddling granny the cook. What do you do with the person you don't know with a dubious background and a penchant for drugging people? Give then unsupervised access to your food :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

:D

I really need to rewatch Farscape. -_-
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Episode 7 will feature a crossover between Lower Decks and SNW.

I can't wait for that episode. :)

In the mean time, next week is the trial episode.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2023, 10:47:35 AMEpisode 7 will feature a crossover between Lower Decks and SNW.

Indeed.

At first I thought it was going to be a really trippy animated cross over with the Lower Decks characters being animated but interacting in the "real" world of SNW, but no, it looks like they just have the voice actors playing the parts of their characters.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2023, 10:47:35 AMEpisode 7 will feature a crossover between Lower Decks and SNW.

Indeed.

At first I thought it was going to be a really trippy animated cross over with the Lower Decks characters being animated but interacting in the "real" world of SNW, but no, it looks like they just have the voice actors playing the parts of their characters.

there's rumours, but like really rumoury type rumours, that Lower Decks might also have a cross over with SNW...

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Indeed.

It's what the hinted at, at first, I think.

Now, it's something else.  It looks really funny from the trailer. :)