News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Do we not count Q as a great villain? I mean he put humanity on trial.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Kind of forgot about him as a villain, kind of turned into a trickster halfway through TNG. Haven't seen season 2 of Picard.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on April 01, 2023, 11:27:21 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2023, 11:24:42 AMImho, there is a huge plot hole here in Picard.

Plummer's character said the cure wasn't given, one of their own had to steal it.  That was false.  O'Brian and Bashir stole it from Section 31 to cure Odo and Odo was allowed to go back to the great link to cure everyone, after curing the female changeling in the DS9 finale.

Considering that the Founders were well on their way to commit a genocide of their own, at least on Cardassia, it's very hard to take the high moral ground here...

The stealing she mentioned was bashir stealing it from section 31. One of their own was one of star fleets own, not a founder
Ah.  I, I thought she meant one of the founder stole it.

But in the end, the Starfleet admiral and Ben Sisko did let Odo go to the Founders.

Either she's biased or there's a plothole.

Section 31 was kinda interesting too. Starfleet was mostly in the dark about them, but once they were confronted with the end result, they often tacitly approved.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Star fleet and section 31 have at least some tacit cooperation. Like when the admiral worked with section 31 to get their romulan plant into a higher place in government.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

This episode did have a plot hole. Well two I think

1 changlings shouldn't have issue against blades. Laas was stabbed on DS9 to no ill effect. They're blobs.

2 changlings can survive space. Again Laas travelled quite easily in space.

Still a very good episode.

Syt

Loved the episode. Many great scenes (esp. Spiner, Worf, Riker & Deanna ... and - of course - Amanda Plummer; just give her all the awards for her performance).

On your plot holes:

1. I'm going to cut (no pun intended) them some slack - these are "changed" changelings. Like the Sidney LaForge one maintaining shape after being killed. Even though the "henchmen" ones seem to be "half-formed" as Vadic said in one episode, I'm willing to assume they have slightly different rules than the "normal" changelings. Also, I'd assume the damage wasn't permanent, because they still vaporize them after.

2. I really, really hope we will see Vadic again. Her being frozen/shattered should not be "fatal" (in Changeling terms), though of course the explosion is kinda making things harder. :P I hope her "hand puppet" will recover her (or bits of her) and she can be reconstituted. I really want to see more of her.

What I'm seriously annoyed with is how they're really blue-balling us with two cliffhangers in a row on what's going on with Jack (and Jean-Luc, to some extent, as it's linked to his irumodic snydrome somehow, and the Borg?). I'm half thinking it might be a remnant from the Borg queen that somehow sirvived in Jean-Luc and was passed on to Jack, somehow? Not much of an idea at this point.
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The episode was pretty entertaining. What I'm wondering now is... Are they going to address the sentient hand thing from Vadic? - I loved that bit of the character. I suppose that the hand can be tied to whatever is behind the red door.

Regarding these changelings being vulnerable to stuff like sharp weapons, I recall they said in a prior episode that their forms are more stable? (thus they can have organs, blood, and such).

Worf is hillarious, btw  :lol:

Syt

The chemistry between the "old crew" is incredible, btw. And seeing them all together in the meeting room made me actually tear up a bit. :cry:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

I guess these changlings are different, but they can still goo-ify pretty easily. At least Vadic can and she's the original evolved one.

FunkMonk

Episode 8 was great. It's probably nostalgia talking but this season of Picard is my favorite new trek except for possibly Strange New Worlds.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on April 06, 2023, 10:50:20 PMThis episode did have a plot hole. Well two I think

1 changlings shouldn't have issue against blades. Laas was stabbed on DS9 to no ill effect. They're blobs.

2 changlings can survive space. Again Laas travelled quite easily in space.

Still a very good episode.
The henchmen don't seem to be changelings like Vadic.  I can't recall seeing them changing form like she does on a regular basis.  The other ones we saw changing forms before, impersonating Starfleet officers didn't look like these guys.

As for Vadic, she isn't a changeling like Odo and the others, she evolved in a Starfleet lab, from Section 31's experiments to create the virus, IIRC. From last week's episode, she wasn't fully sentient, I think, then she became sentient but was unable to shapeshift until much later after suffering a lot of pain.

In another episode, her master talks of "her and her kind", implying they are not like the other Changelings.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Not specifically related to the latest episode, but spoiler to the series:

They aren't strong on DS9 lore, but I wonder if Jack's possession is linked to the Pah-Wraiths?

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on April 07, 2023, 09:22:31 PMNot specifically related to the latest episode, but spoiler to the series:

They aren't strong on DS9 lore, but I wonder if Jack's possession is linked to the Pah-Wraiths?

I was thinking the same thing. Evil glowy eyes and possession.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on April 07, 2023, 09:22:31 PMNot specifically related to the latest episode, but spoiler to the series:

That actually makes a lot of sense. The red eyes were a sign of Pah Wraith possesion in DS9. Now, that would make it even weirder that Sisko is not involved in the story.

Syt

I've seen the speculation and am not a huge fan. That said, it would open the door for a return of Sisko. :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould