News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gotcha!

Started by Razgovory, January 03, 2012, 03:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

From all my exposure to French culture (Houellebecq, Camus, Sartre's Huis Clos, Irreversible, Les Invasions Barbares), it sure is.

Could be I'm just drawn to nihilism and there's a bunch of pleasant French art too, about happy children and friendly robots.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on January 03, 2012, 11:32:19 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 03, 2012, 11:28:12 PM
I think running a schtick into the ground is PERFECTLY OK.

I liked your new BDSM schtick.

Which schtick was that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on January 04, 2012, 02:04:18 AM
Could be I'm just drawn to nihilism and there's a bunch of pleasant French art too, about happy children and friendly robots.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2012, 02:01:28 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 04, 2012, 01:58:07 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2012, 01:13:20 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 04, 2012, 01:08:15 AM
Grallon's fun because he's the Frenchest person on the forum.

I think of Zoupa as the Frenchyiest person here.  And Zoups is fine.

Yeah, right.  Zoupa might have part-time metropolitanness in his favor, but where's the nihilism?  The defeatism?  The dead-end technocrat's job?  The paradoxical hatred of Muslims and the United States?

I dislike the Nihilism.  Surely that isn't a major facet of French Culture?

Meh, he offsets it with his Hezbollapologism.  The French have so many romantic notions of their old Levant.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2012, 12:35:46 AM
This is the worst attention whoring thread ever.

Actually, it's the biggest "Gotcha" thread yet.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 04, 2012, 01:19:55 AM
he did say he was the least intelligent person on this board, bar martinus (which i have doubts of, but that's another argument). that is quite a strong statement, and when we've quality posters such as yis around, it makes one wonder

Just found this thread, which is a hoot.  I must admit I don't recall saying that anyone was the "least intelligent person on this board," and the search function has no capability to find a post with me saying this, either.  Got some context?

I am a believer in the old Confucian idea:
"Tzu King asked: 'What would you say of the man who is liked by all his fellow townsmen?' 'That is not sufficient', was the reply. "What is better is that the good among his fellow townsmen like him, and the bad hate him.'"

The responses in this thread assure me that I am following that principal.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2012, 12:43:46 AM
Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2012, 12:35:46 AM
This is the worst attention whoring thread ever.

You've clearly missed all my attention whoring threads.  :(

I'm still pretty new. :(

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2012, 08:23:39 AM

As a teacher you damn well should.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2012, 08:46:44 AM

:lol:

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2012, 08:46:44 AM
:lol:  Fucking speling!  Who neds it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 04, 2012, 02:47:09 AM

The original Babar was an elephant gigolo. Seriously.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2012, 09:16:25 AM
The original Babar was an elephant gigolo. Seriously.
And he worked for peanuts.

Admiral Yi

:bleeding: Enough with the Jackie Mason lines.

Drakken

From all my exposure to French culture (Houellebecq, Camus, Sartre's Huis Clos, Irreversible, Les Invasions Barbares), it sure is.

It's French-Canadian, not French.

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on January 04, 2012, 01:19:55 AM
he did say he was the least intelligent person on this board, bar martinus (which i have doubts of, but that's another argument). that is quite a strong statement, and when we've quality posters such as yis around, it makes one wonder

Just found this thread, which is a hoot.  I must admit I don't recall saying that anyone was the "least intelligent person on this board," and the search function has no capability to find a post with me saying this, either.  Got some context?

I am a believer in the old Confucian idea:
"Tzu King asked: 'What would you say of the man who is liked by all his fellow townsmen?' 'That is not sufficient', was the reply. "What is better is that the good among his fellow townsmen like him, and the bad hate him.'"

You suck at ignoring.

Oh, and...

GOTCHA :D
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017