News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gotcha!

Started by Razgovory, January 03, 2012, 03:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

For what it's worth, I find grumbler's and Yi's debating styles to be most infuriating. grumbler is a classic "gotcha" debater, always willing to pick on details and misinterpreting the heck out of them, and Yi is an artful dodger, always refusing to state his position in a clear manner.

DGuller

Sometimes you catch your opponents with a pretty bad argument, and they're taking a cheap way out in those moments, attacking you with well-known laundry list of complaints.  Claiming gotcha arguments on your part is just one such cheap out that they're occasionally employing.

That said, sometimes you really do switch into a mode where you nitpick your opponent's posts as a general principle.  You know he's going to say something wrong, it's just a matter of waiting for him to actually post something so that you'll have something to quote in your next nitpicking post.  It's very obvious when that happens, and it's annoying to observe (and I imagine it's even more annoying to be the subject of such affection).

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on January 03, 2012, 04:40:14 PM
That said, sometimes you really do switch into a mode where you nitpick your opponent's posts as a general principle.  You know he's going to say something wrong, it's just a matter of waiting for him to actually post something so that you'll have something to quote in your next nitpicking post.  It's very obvious when that happens, and it's annoying to observe (and I imagine it's even more annoying to be the subject of such affection).

Affectation might have been a better choice here.    :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on January 03, 2012, 05:11:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 03, 2012, 04:40:14 PM

Affectation might have been a better choice here.    :P

I see what you did there.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 03:24:19 PM
In recent weeks both Grumbler* and Yi have accused me of "Gotcha" posting.  I'm not quite sure exactly what that means.  Yi went on to say I didn't have the "moral authority" to judge his posts.  Again, I don't quite understand what he means that.  It is true that I do sometimes find inconsistencies in people's arguments but that seems fair.  They aren't my arguments, the inconsistencies would exist even if I didn't point them out, and I've found that challenging assumptions and the like is an effective way of countering some of the more ludicrous arguments by some Languish posters.  It's clear that I don't quite understand all this, after all, I am an uneducated maniac.  Sometimes I need things explained to me in simple terms.

So help me fellow Languishnistas, help me find the error of my ways.  So that I might aspire to the peerless debating style of people like Yi and Grumbler.

*I don't actually care what Grumbler thinks. He's now ignoring me and I'm remarkably fine with that.

Why did you post this (non-rhetorical)?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

Quote from: The Brain on January 03, 2012, 05:31:36 PM

He's building an Enemies List.
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2012, 03:48:01 PM
I don't understand why Raz is so hung up on this.
I think that Yi has been quite unfair to Raz. Though he certainly approaches things from an odd perspective that I don't often agree with he does so with a consistent, though flawed, logic. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: fahdiz on January 03, 2012, 06:30:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 03, 2012, 05:31:36 PM

He's building an Enemies List.

Please. This list is anemic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 03, 2012, 04:36:04 PM
For what it's worth, I find grumbler's and Yi's debating styles to be most infuriating. grumbler is a classic "gotcha" debater, always willing to pick on details and misinterpreting the heck out of them, and Yi is an artful dodger, always refusing to state his position in a clear manner.

While I wouldn't quite say "always" in either case, in general I think Marti is right on this.  OTOH, I think Raz's style is sometimes fairly similar to grumbler's, but with less clarity of thought.

Razgovory

I think I'm getting better with the clarity of thought.  I've been taking a new med for the last year and it's slowed down my thought processes and made them a bit more orderly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Raz, I think you may want to stop pulling the insanity card all the time.  Sometimes it's funny, but sometimes it comes off, at least to me, as a little duplicitous: you want to be treated seriously, except when you don't.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 03, 2012, 09:35:25 PM
Raz, I think you may want to stop pulling the insanity card all the time.  Sometimes it's funny, but sometimes it comes off, at least to me, as a little duplicitous: you want to be treated seriously, except when you don't.

It's the only card I have.  It's not like I got a bunch of aces up my sleeve.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 09:59:13 PM

You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 09:59:13 PM

If it's all you have, you should use it sparingly for best effect.  Mihali is right though, it seems to pop up in far too many of your posts. P.S., it is grumbler, not Grumbler.  He's a stickler for getting his name right, as I've found out in the past.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Never was good at poker.  The thing about insanity is that it's not just a gimmick, it's something I think about every day.  I prefer to use the "occasionally clever and insightful" card on rare occasions.  So perhaps I have two cards.