News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gotcha!

Started by Razgovory, January 03, 2012, 03:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

In recent weeks both Grumbler* and Yi have accused me of "Gotcha" posting.  I'm not quite sure exactly what that means.  Yi went on to say I didn't have the "moral authority" to judge his posts.  Again, I don't quite understand what he means that.  It is true that I do sometimes find inconsistencies in people's arguments but that seems fair.  They aren't my arguments, the inconsistencies would exist even if I didn't point them out, and I've found that challenging assumptions and the like is an effective way of countering some of the more ludicrous arguments by some Languish posters.  It's clear that I don't quite understand all this, after all, I am an uneducated maniac.  Sometimes I need things explained to me in simple terms.

So help me fellow Languishnistas, help me find the error of my ways.  So that I might aspire to the peerless debating style of people like Yi and Grumbler.

*I don't actually care what Grumbler thinks. He's now ignoring me and I'm remarkably fine with that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I'm not going to get involved in discussing the comparative merits of grumbler's preferred posting style.  He seems happy enough with it.

Yi has always struck me as being a pretty fair person to have a discussion with - willing to concede when pointed to contradictory evidence, willing to admit when he doesn't know something, and rarely presents a "ludicrous argument".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I don't understand why Raz is so hung up on this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2012, 03:48:01 PM

Insane.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2012, 03:30:25 PM
I'm not going to get involved in discussing the comparative merits of grumbler's preferred posting style.  He seems happy enough with it.

Yi has always struck me as being a pretty fair person to have a discussion with - willing to concede when pointed to contradictory evidence, willing to admit when he doesn't know something, and rarely presents a "ludicrous argument".

It started the other day because of a statement that Yi made:

QuotePeaceniks want to shrink the military and retreat from overseas commitments because they think the US is the sole source of evil in the world and that all conflicts (those not started by the US) can be resolved by travelling puppet shows and aggressive tree planting.

I wanted some clarification on that.  He refused and said it was just me trying to get him.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 03:50:03 PM
I wanted some clarification on that.  He refused and said it was just me trying to get him.

Just hyperbole. Not intended literally.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Noting that I somehow doubt this is a genuine question... :P

It's pretty clearly how out-and-out antagonistic you are, like, all the time toward people who disagree with you on political, social, and economic issues.

It's not like Yi and I see eye-to-eye on, almost literally, anything of a political or economic nature, but we always seem to get along and we discuss various subjects of less import congenially.  See also me and Neil, or me and Barrister Boy.  I mean, on occasion we'll swipe at each other in an unprovoked fashion for fun or the entertainment of others (at least as much as we already do with those on our political "sides"--I mean, I give Mihali crap, CdM gives me crap, and so forth).  But we know we're kidding, or at least mean no harm, whereas no one's sure if you're joking or if you've developed an unhealthy fixation on opposing a particular individual, and a lot of times it seems like the latter.

As for grumbler, I dunno.  Dude's mean.  I expect it's because of those times I beat him in WitP.  Not my fault you don't know how to use airpower. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 03, 2012, 03:52:58 PM

Maybe not 100%, but those puppet shows are pretty fucking effective.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 03, 2012, 03:53:24 PM
As for grumbler, I dunno.  Dude's mean.  I expect it's because of those times I beat him in WitP.  Not my fault you don't know how to use airpower. :P

[Obligatory Languish Joke] Not his fault either - they didn't have airplanes back in his day. [/Obligatory Languish Joke]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Raz is somewhat literal minded.  Yi's posting style has always confused me.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 03:48:21 PM

Insane.

It just seems petty. You didn't get satisfaction from Grumber and Yi and are now running around trying to get the rest of us to be on your side.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I think what they're saying is that you focus on previous (often poorly phrased or not fully thought out) statements people have made and don't let them backtrack or wiggle out of those positions without explicitly recanting them. This is perfectly fine if the goal is scoring points or winning a debate, but a bit obnoxious in general. You're hardly the worst offender though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 03:58:51 PM

Raz is somewhat literal minded.  Yi's posting style has always confused me.

Yeah, that could be a problem right there. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 03, 2012, 03:59:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2012, 03:48:21 PM

Insane.

It just seems petty. You didn't get satisfaction from Grumber and Yi and are now running around trying to get the rest of us to be on your side.

It seems that way to you, I'm just doing the bidding of the Jellyfish commune that lives in my brain.

szmik

did Marti spread attention whoring on you or something?  :huh:

btw
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2012, 03:59:57 PM
I think what they're saying is that you focus on previous (often poorly phrased or not fully thought out) statements people have made and don't let them backtrack or wiggle out of those positions without explicitly recanting them. This is perfectly fine if the goal is scoring points or winning a debate, but a bit obnoxious in general. You're hardly the worst offender though.
QFT
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.