News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gotcha!

Started by Razgovory, January 03, 2012, 03:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 04, 2012, 10:34:39 AM
That's good manly stuff BB, try him out on construction machinery books, he'll love them  :cool:

No doubt.

Typical 'conversation' when reading these books:

baby Tim: "Car!"
BB: no, that's a boat.  Can you say boat?
BB: no, that's an airplane.  Plane!
BB: that's a sheep *sigh*
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Trains are fun. Think how much some men like their cars, but cars are pitiful weeny things compared to trains; it is the triumph of reality over hope when a kid gives up on trains and switches his affection to cars.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2012, 10:32:12 AM
Now that my kid is old enough to express some degree of preference in his books, all he wants us to read are books with nothing but pictures of autos and trains, with no story to speak of. :bleeding:  Oh how I long for the days I could at least read his Dr. Seuss.

My son loves trains to.  What is up with kids and trains?

Thomas the tedius little tank engine. That's what.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2012, 10:39:08 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 04, 2012, 10:34:39 AM
That's good manly stuff BB, try him out on construction machinery books, he'll love them  :cool:

No doubt.

Typical 'conversation' when reading these books:

BB: no, that's a boat.  Can you say boat?
BB: no, that's an airplane.  Plane!
BB: that's a sheep *sigh*

Hmmm..............he'll have to work on his conversational skills if  he wants success with the girls  :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2012, 10:27:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 10:26:17 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2012, 10:23:24 AM
I immediately thought of it like that.  :blush:

Well I haven't read or thought about those stories since I was a kid ;)

Neither had I - until our kid was old enough to read 'em.

Now that my kid is old enough to express some degree of preference in his books, all he wants us to read are books with nothing but pictures of autos and trains, with no story to speak of. :bleeding:  Oh how I long for the days I could at least read his Dr. Seuss.

Carl went through a train phase too. I think all boys do.

I actually got him a book of historical trains.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on January 04, 2012, 10:44:06 AM

You may remember my pent-up frustration at ALL THOMAS ALL THE TIME that made me lash out by writing a Thomas episode set during the Nazi holocaust ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Curse the British cultural hegemony!  At least for toddler culture.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Spare a thought for me guys, my autistic son still likes Thomas the Tank engine, I've had 10 years of him now, two with the older lad and eight with the youngster  :cry:

HVC

the make sounds and smoke. that's all i can think of.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 04, 2012, 10:53:37 AM
Spare a thought for me guys, my autistic son still likes Thomas the Tank engine, I've had 10 years of him now, two with the older lad and eight with the youngster  :cry:

Holy shit, that's harsh.  :(

HVC

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 04, 2012, 10:44:27 AM

Hmmm..............he'll have to work on his conversational skills if  he wants success with the girls  :hmm:

i don't know. i know several guys with pretty good track records who seem to only repeat the same phrases over and over again at clubs :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2012, 10:54:28 AM
the make sounds and smoke. that's all i can think of.

I think it is the fact that trains make a good toy. The move, they connect, and you can make roads and tracks for them to run on.

They are a movement-toy, a collection-toy and a construction-toy, all at the same time.

Adding anthropomorphic characteristics makes them even more appealing.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2012, 10:55:48 AM

i don't know. i know several guys with pretty good track records who seem to only repeat the same phrases over and over again at clubs :lol:

I dunno, "running train" in that context might not do so well.  ;)

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2012, 10:59:31 AM
Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2012, 10:55:48 AM

I dunno, "running train" in that context might not do so well.  ;)
as long as you're the engine and not the cabose it's all good :P

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2012, 10:51:20 AM

Curse the British cultural hegemony!  At least for toddler culture.

Centuries of talking down to folk have given us an unassailable competitive advantage in the toddler market.