News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish marriage poll

Started by Brazen, September 27, 2011, 08:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been or intend to be married?

Never married, will never marry
15 (23.1%)
Never married, intend to marry
17 (26.2%)
Currently married
27 (41.5%)
Divorced, will never marry again
4 (6.2%)
Divrorced, intend to marry again
0 (0%)
Divorced, currently married again
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

DontSayBanana

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2011, 11:25:12 AM
Why?

Use you money for stuff that matters, like a nice place to live.

That's implied, and should be taken care of within the next several months (hopefully).
Experience bij!

Malthus

Quote from: Drakken on September 27, 2011, 02:46:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 02:38:39 PM
In those provinces having common-law protections, they are not "the same" as marriage - the *support* obligations are the same, but the *property sharing* is different.

It would be effectively the same here if Lola wins. In the Cour d'Appel decision the judges invalidated all dispositions of the Civil Code over the obligations after separation, except those touching property sharing.

But the core of the problem is in the alimony to the ex-partner. That's what makes it unpalatable to most Quebecers, and the fact that in Quebec de facto unions are considered a flexible manner to provide for a family and child support after separation, outside of the complications surrounding marriage. You live together, you break-up, and the only common obligation is toward any child you have had together.

From a social POV, it is desireable - particularly if "traditional" marriage has gone by the wayside.

Support obligations prevent the poorer of the couple from (on average) being more likely to fall into into poverty and be supported by social services.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2011, 11:39:13 AM
I guess it sounds like a good thing to avoid if one's whole goal is to hurry up and find the one.

The main point is watching people my age go through internet dating.

HVC

In those provinces having common-law protections, they are not "the same" as marriage - the *support* obligations are the same, but the *property sharing* is different.
we had a thread about that recently. I disagreed with you. That's all i recall.

Oh, and that CC was on my side that you were evil :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

If you depend on your non-husband man for support maybe you should make an effort to keep him. Don't put on weight, do anal etc. Just a thought.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2011, 02:54:25 PM

Eh? Far as I know the law is as I have stated it - dunno what there is to disagree with.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on September 27, 2011, 02:58:46 PM
If you depend on your non-husband man for support maybe you should make an effort to keep him. Don't put on weight, do anal etc. Just a thought.

Haul a big load of hay, don't attract too many flies, keep the stable clean, that sort of thing.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2011, 02:54:20 PM
I guess it sounds like a good thing to avoid if one's whole goal is to hurry up and find the one.

That is particularly painful.  :lol:

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 02:59:26 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2011, 02:54:25 PM

Eh? Far as I know the law is as I have stated it - dunno what there is to disagree with.
we were arguing the ethics of the law, not the law itself.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

20% of people my age group does it that way. Never tried, but i'm not opposed to the idea.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2011, 03:06:17 PM

20% of people my age group does it that way. Never tried, but i'm not opposed to the idea.

You will be - when you find out the person you've spent time communicating with and really seemed to "click" with online has given you a pic taken ten years and fifty pounds ago.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 03:02:58 PM

Is it? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2011, 03:17:06 PM

Yes it is.  To watch anyway.  I can understand how people forced to use such tools might downplay their plight.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2011, 03:17:06 PM

To watch? Yup.

For one, people in their mid-40s generally did not grow up using the 'net and often aren't real comfy with using it for such intimate matters. They aren't used, for example, to the sheer level of bullshit that must be filtered.

HVC

First clue is that if the 18 year old belly dancer is interested in you there's a good chance she's a male truck driver :P