News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Languish marriage poll

Started by Brazen, September 27, 2011, 08:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been or intend to be married?

Never married, will never marry
15 (23.1%)
Never married, intend to marry
17 (26.2%)
Currently married
27 (41.5%)
Divorced, will never marry again
4 (6.2%)
Divrorced, intend to marry again
0 (0%)
Divorced, currently married again
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

crazy canuck

I was married at a young age.  I am glad I avoided the dating scene I saw people go through in their late 20s-40s.

Gups

I've been with the same beautiful, intelligent, vivacious woman for 20 years now. Just hope the wife never finds out.

I'll get me coat.

Gups

Actually been 12 years now, but we're not married. We both want to, mainly for tax reasons but neither of us can be arsed organising it.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2011, 11:33:24 AM
I was married at a young age.  I am glad I avoided the dating scene I saw people go through in their late 20s-40s.

I guess it sounds like a good thing to avoid if one's whole goal is to hurry up and find the one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on September 27, 2011, 11:36:41 AM
Actually been 12 years now, but we're not married. We both want to, mainly for tax reasons but neither of us can be arsed organising it.

Don't organize it.

Do it on your next vacation somewhere, or just step up to city hall and get it done.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, just pop into the registry office with a couple of mates and have a few drinks afterwards.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Yeah, I kind of agree but I'd quite like my son and the rest of my family to be there. Mind try to arrange a very small do and then have a big party after.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Gups on September 27, 2011, 11:54:33 AM
Yeah, I kind of agree but I'd quite like my son and the rest of my family to be there. Mind try to arrange a very small do and then have a big party after.

That is what me and my wife did. Small church service, open bar reception with catered food.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on September 27, 2011, 11:45:23 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 27, 2011, 11:36:41 AM

Don't organize it.

Do it on your next vacation somewhere, or just step up to city hall and get it done.

Or just start calling yourself married.  Works here.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Richard Hakluyt

There are still useful tax benefits in the UK Ide, especially if you are quite well-off anyway.

Ideologue

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2011, 11:59:33 AM
There are still useful tax benefits in the UK Ide, especially if you are quite well-off anyway.

No, I mean, it actually, legally works as a binding marriage here.

It probably does not work in the UK; it doesn't work in most states; but I was also kidding.:P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2011, 12:00:38 PM

No, I mean, it actually, legally works as a binding marriage here. :P

Hmmm, but what happens if you then say that you are not, after all, married?

Ideologue

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2011, 12:01:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2011, 12:00:38 PM

No, I mean, it actually, legally works as a binding marriage here. :P

Hmmm, but what happens if you then say that you are not, after all, married?

No such thing as common law divorce.  You have to go through regular channels.

The dispute there would be establishing the existence of a common law marriage.  Joint filing of tax returns along with cohabitancy is, iirc, more than sufficient.  Indeed, SC has some bizarre case law involving community reputation as potentially sufficient in itself.

So there was a lot of joking around with my law school pals about me pointedly refuting it any time they referred to Korea as my common law wife.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on September 27, 2011, 11:22:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 27, 2011, 11:18:22 AM
Never married, absolutely no plans to marry though if I'm with a girl who really wants to I guess I might. Though I really won't be happy if she insists on a big fancy party for it. In return anal shall be demanded. And more.
Thread winner.

Only if the "anal, and more" is made part of the wedding service.

"Well, once you let them write their own vows, you knew it would come to this eventualy ..."
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius