News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Troy Davis execution

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on September 27, 2011, 11:38:59 AM
Why do you think steak tastes better when it's not pan fried?

I understand why you'd like a charcoal barbie which adds something to the falavour but it sounds like you are just using some form of gas. What's the difference?

The taste is the same with either gas or charcoal but the advantage with gas is you can control the heat. 

The main differences between a pan fried steak and a grilled steak is the effect of the dripping fat over the flames which causes a taste you cannot get in a pan and the better charring effect a grill will give you which also provides more flavour.

Also, I assume you are not cooking your steak past medium rare.  If you are then I concede it doesnt matter how you cook it - you are ruining it anyway. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 27, 2011, 01:53:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2011, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 26, 2011, 08:40:48 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 26, 2011, 08:33:53 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 26, 2011, 08:31:11 PM
I also prefer the abolition of the death penalty.
Your lack of morality has been noted.
Doesn't my Continental steak preference bear more heavily on that?   :cry:
Yes. Ignore Neil.  He comes from the land of great steak and so does not care if people do not cook it properly so long as they buy it.  Those of us who do care about cooking steak properly have duly noted your failing in that regard.
A sufficiently good steak will defeat most attempts to ruin it through improper cooking.

A well done steak should be thrown in the trash no matter how good a cut it was originally.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2011, 11:59:54 AM
Why do you prefer extended torture to swift oblivion?  Seems illiberal to me. :(

Yet somehow most people who are actually condemned to death seem to prefer staying alive...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 27, 2011, 03:21:55 PM
Why do you prefer extended torture to swift oblivion?  Seems illiberal to me. :(

Yet somehow most people who are actually condemned to death seem to prefer staying alive...

dont go off topic.

Malthus

Apparently, a preference shared by CC when it comes to his steaks. Alive and mooing.   :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 03:23:54 PM

Apparently, a preference shared by CC when it comes to his steaks. Alive and mooing.   :P

As long as they are seared properly.  That is the key.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Instinct clouds rational future planning.  Their wishes can't be trusted.

Then again maybe others respond differently to imprisonment than me. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Humans are remarkably short sighted. No one wants to die tomorrow but they they aren't much better off living for 40 years with their cell mate "Sir Shanks-a-lot"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Obviously people don't understand the concept of searing - it should be on a large flat surface to change the proteins.  that is why a pan is needed.  After this it can be grilled, and the resultant fat dripping, etc.  The key, however, is the large surface to be seared at a very high heat.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on September 27, 2011, 04:14:53 PM
Obviously people don't understand the concept of searing - it should be on a large flat surface to change the proteins.  that is why a pan is needed.  After this it can be grilled, and the resultant fat dripping, etc.  The key, however, is the large surface to be seared at a very high heat.

One needs high heat to change the proteins.  Only someone reducated in a Communist Camp would believe one can only generate such heat from a pan.  Grilling has flames which directly heat the meat.  No interference from the pan is required.

Let the Grill set you free.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2011, 03:31:03 PM

Humans are remarkably short sighted. No one wants to die tomorrow but they they aren't much better off living for 40 years with their cell mate "Sir Shanks-a-lot"

40 years without properly-cooked steak, vs. choice of last meal.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 04:36:54 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 27, 2011, 03:31:03 PM

40 years without properly-cooked steak, vs. choice of last meal.  ;)

:hmm:

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2011, 03:14:34 PM
A well done steak should be thrown in the trash no matter how good a cut it was originally.
OK, I'll give you that.  If you're eating your steak well done, you're probably a Philistine.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

This thread inspired me to pan fry a steak tonight.  It came out really well.  It's brown on the outside, pink just beneath the surface, and red-brown in the middle.  It's rare enough to be rare, but still perfectly chewable.  :licklips: