News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Troy Davis execution

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

If the DP is ok then I don't see why it should be restricted to a handful of people, with all the media hype and decades spent on death row that this entails. It would make more sense if it became routine for serious crimes (mainly murder) which had no mitigating circumstances. At the moment it is only a small minority who draw the capital punishment, they often seem to be black and/or borderline retards who can't afford a decent lawyer (to be fair those are also the people most likely to kill, I imagine)..........there is a problem of inconsistency it seems to me.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 07:07:21 PM
The last meal and the ritual around the Death Penalty makes it all the more acceptible.

I disagree. If I were to ever support death penalty, I want it to be as mechanical as possible. It should not be an "event" and trying to make it more "acceptable" or "cozy" by inventing rituals around it is just wrong.

Caliga

Georgia Executing Innocent men has cause Texas to up the ante. The condemned men will no longer get to choose their last meal.
In Indiana the condemned gets their "last meal" a few days before their scheduled execution.... IIRC it's because they often end up not eating their last actual meal due to nerves.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2011, 05:19:47 AM
Georgia Executing Innocent men has cause Texas to up the ante. The condemned men will no longer get to choose their last meal.
In Indiana the condemned gets their "last meal" a few days before their scheduled execution.... IIRC it's because they often end up not eating their last actual meal due to nerves.
To be fair, execution is quite dangerous to the guests of honor.

Gups

As a euroweenie against the DP, I don't give a shit how you guys deal with your guilty.

But your grill your steaks? Really? As in heat from above? That's just wrong. A griddle pan is the only way to cook a steak. Even the Argies agree.

11B4V

When I grill steaks, it's on a BBQ with heat from below
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on September 23, 2011, 07:16:11 AM
But your grill your steaks? Really? As in heat from above?

Heat from above is broiling.  Smoldering charcoal underneath an open lattice is grilling.  Or open propane flame, for those so inclined.

Gups

OK, its a language thing then.

England's too wet to do BBQs all year round. Steak is good on a barbie though I have to agree. Stays juicy even if you overcook it a bit.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on September 23, 2011, 07:25:58 AM
OK, its a language thing then.

England's too wet to do BBQs all year round. Steak is good on a barbie though I have to agree. Stays juicy even if you overcook it a bit.

Plus you get those really sexy cross hatch marks.

Martinus

Btw, I think a Daily Telegraph editorial also called the execution "barbaric", so even British conservatives are using the same language as I do. So I am vindicated.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 22, 2011, 07:18:39 PM
I'm anti-death penalty :mellow:.  My point is that it's hard to get popular support for saving the life of many of these people because they aren't pleasant people.
Doesn't really matter.  If the prosecution can prove they did the crime, they are going to be in jail for a while.  With those cumulative sentences of the US, they don't really get out after 6 years for murder 1.

If they can't prove the crime and they turn out innocent, then the clock isn't ticking against them.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 08:23:00 AM
Btw, I think a Daily Telegraph editorial also called the execution "barbaric", so even British conservatives are using the same language as I do. So I am vindicated.
Are British conservatives the end-all, be-all of morals and ethics?

No.

I am.

So quit being so fucking barbaric.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Speaking of grills, this is from the Onion, but somehow I have a feeling this is not far from the attitudes of many Languishites:

QuoteIndoor Grill Owner Can't Wait For Start Of AutumnAugust 3, 2007 | ISSUE 43•31

ELGIN, IL—Indoor-cookout enthusiast Tom Lafferty said Monday that he is looking forward to the arrival of autumn so he can "plug in the old grill" and start enjoying the indoors. "It's still way too summery out, but once we get that first chill of the season and people start climbing into their sweater vests again, it can only mean one thing: time for some of Lafferty's famous grilled eggplant!" the 37-year-old customer service representative said. "Plus, I got a second grill last week, so I'll be able to cook up to two veggie kebabs at once." In the meantime, Lafferty said he plans to take advantage of his enclosed air-conditioned backyard deck.

Ed Anger

pfft. I only stop when the snow comes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 23, 2011, 08:34:01 AM
pfft. I only stop when the snow comes.

Why stop when the snow comes?  Our grill is outside but under cover.  The alternative, frying our steaks inside, is just too horrible to contemplate.