Main Menu

Troy Davis execution

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 22, 2011, 09:18:18 AM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 22, 2011, 04:17:13 AM
The plural of Euro is Euro.  :wacko:

Just to mess things up more, some nations (like Portugal) got special permission to call the plural of euro "euros".

So, while the plural of "euro" in some countries (like Germany) is "euro", in others (like Portugal) is "euros".

This creates a certain... confusion in people who deal with the currency in several languages.
:lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grinning_Colossus

:lol:

Though in all seriousness if most of the witnesses recanted then his execution was a monstrous miscarriage of justice.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Barrister

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 22, 2011, 10:59:03 AM

Though in all seriousness if most of the witnesses recanted then his execution was a monstrous miscarriage of justice.

I'm way of a recantation that A: occurs decades after their original tetimony, and B: are in the form of affidavits (which means it was drafted by someone else, then merely signed).

In domestic violence court we get witness recantations on a daily basis.  In order for us to actually pay any attention to a recantation, we ask the victim get legal advice regarding perjury / public mischief, and then ideally that they give their recantation under oath.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 11:02:28 AM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 22, 2011, 10:59:03 AM

I'm way of a recantation that A: occurs decades after their original tetimony, and B: are in the form of affidavits (which means it was drafted by someone else, then merely signed).

In domestic violence court we get witness recantations on a daily basis.  In order for us to actually pay any attention to a recantation, we ask the victim get legal advice regarding perjury / public mischief, and then ideally that they give their recantation under oath.

I'm philosophically an advocate of the death penalty for some crimes, but I'm opposed to it in practice and would like to see it abolished in the United States. It's got nothing to do with morality and everything to do with how the legal process for it just stinks and I don't think it's fixable with our society at present (I can imagine sci-fi scenarios in the future in which we could bring it back.)

In this case you have a "great black defendant" who is supported by Al Sharpton and others. You have, over a decade after the fact, persons recanting testimony. You have many, many levels of appellate judges who have reviewed these recantations and who have found them to be not credible. I trust the Federal judiciary, I trust the judiciary of Georgia a little bit, too, and many judges at both State and Federal level (including the SCOTUS) have given this case a sniff.

Without digging into it myself, I'm going to wager there is a reason every single one of those courts has said the recantations aren't credible. It means they probably aren't, and they are probably a product of people who live in the "neighborhood" having Al Sharpton type activists come into their homes and basically convince them that they didn't see what they had seen. Everyone knows the black community in the U.S. is insanely clannish, and if you have some prominent community advocate types pressuring people to sign affidavits, they will probably sign it even if they don't genuinely believe it.

crazy canuck

then ideally that they give their recantation under oath.

An affidavit isnt given under oath?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 11:25:12 AM

Perhaps it was poor wording on my part.

We want viva voce evidence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 22, 2011, 11:14:42 AM
Everyone knows the black community in the U.S. is insanely clannish

:rolleyes:

Everyone knows what a "black" person swears to is prima facie unreliable?  Are you sure you really want to take that kind of position.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 11:27:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 11:25:12 AM

Perhaps it was poor wording on my part.

We want viva voce evidence.

You want to test it on cross examination - that makes sense.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 11:28:07 AM

Everyone knows what a "black" person swears to is prima facie unreliable?  Are you sure you really want to take that kind of position.

That's not what I said, you have no acted in bad faith and thus I must treat you in like manner.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 22, 2011, 11:39:56 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 11:28:07 AM

That's not what I said, you have no acted in bad faith and thus I must treat you in like manner.

Go back and re-read what you said.  I know nothing about this case.  I was however struck that you think we should disregard affidavits sworn by "blacks" because "everyone knows" they are "clannish" and therefore inclined not to tell the truth if someone from their clan tells them not to.

Please explain to me where I have gone wrong.

Just to help you.  this is what you said that caught my attention.

QuoteEveryone knows the black community in the U.S. is insanely clannish, and if you have some prominent community advocate types pressuring people to sign affidavits, they will probably sign it even if they don't genuinely believe it.

szmik

Quote from: 11B4V on September 22, 2011, 02:41:05 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 02:35:58 AM
Yeah, Martinus isn't a European, he's an Eastern European.  It's like how when you say "American," you don't mean "Mexican."

Point taken for the future.

Eastern Europens to West Europeans are what Mexicans are to Americans.

Poles=Mexicans.
that's pretty common stereotype in Europe

regardless, most Poles would vote for DP :) ...if they had anything to say in the matter
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Rasputin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2011, 06:57:20 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 22, 2011, 06:55:14 AM
You aint spent much time in the South, have you boy? :lmfao:

Gups is a britanico.  :secret:

well it still beats the hell out of anything that the british serve as steak

my recollection is that no matter what the called it, it resembled pot roast.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: szmik on September 22, 2011, 11:45:47 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 22, 2011, 02:41:05 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 02:35:58 AM
Yeah, Martinus isn't a European, he's an Eastern European.  It's like how when you say "American," you don't mean "Mexican."

Point taken for the future.

Eastern Europens to West Europeans are what Mexicans are to Americans.

Poles=Mexicans.
that's pretty common stereotype in Europe

regardless, most Poles would vote for DP :) ...if they had anything to say in the matter

I dont think marty likes dp...he's anti-anal
Who is John Galt?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Rasputin on September 22, 2011, 12:12:43 PM
my recollection is that no matter what the called it, it resembled pot roast.

The Brits are famous for liking their meat boiled.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 11:45:31 AM
Go back and re-read what you said.  I know nothing about this case.  I was however struck that you think we should disregard affidavits sworn by "blacks" because "everyone knows" they are "clannish" and therefore inclined not to tell the truth if someone from their clan tells them not to.

Please explain to me where I have gone wrong.

Just to help you.  this is what you said that caught my attention.

QuoteEveryone knows the black community in the U.S. is insanely clannish, and if you have some prominent community advocate types pressuring people to sign affidavits, they will probably sign it even if they don't genuinely believe it.

Where you got it wrong is I did not claim that is why we shouldn't believe the recantations. I said the recantations are probably not credible since multiple judges in multiple courts at both the State and Federal level have openly stated they did not view the recantations as credible. I then said without digging into it I do know that it is factually the case that the clannish black community would be very susceptible to peer pressure and manipulation. I did not postulate as to why these specific recantations were not credible, I only noted that since every judge at both the State and Federal level who has reviewed them has found them lacking in credibility, they probably aren't credible. And that is all I said.