News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Troy Davis execution

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Only the shallow do not judge by appearance.

Martinus

Last words of Troy Davis, spoken to the AI representatives:

"The struggle for justice doesn't end with me. This struggle is for all the Troy Davises who came before me and all the ones who will come after me. I'm in good spirits and I'm prayerful and at peace."

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 01:33:03 AM
Only the shallow do not judge by appearance.

Oh, shallow. I thought you wrote swallow.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 01:37:00 AM
Last words of Troy Davis, spoken to the AI representatives:

"The struggle for justice doesn't end with me. This struggle is for all the Troy Davises who came before me and all the ones who will come after me. I'm in good spirits and I'm prayerful and at peace."

Amazing how they always find GOD in the end.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 01:19:18 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2011, 08:23:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2011, 08:18:58 PM
Well, you can sorta fix a wrongful jail sentence.  You can let him go and hope bygones will be bygones.  If you execute him, there's less chance of that.
You can't take back years or decades of someone's life.  Making the puishment partially reversible isn't really a compelling fix to the wrongful conviction problem.

Again, you must realize this argument is bullshit - otherwise you would have no job as insurance would be useless. We compensate financially for various wrongs or harms done to people all the time. Why should this be different? The only case when someone cannot be compensated for a harm done to him, obviously, is when that person is dead.
Are people usually compensated for this? It seems very rare to me. :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Octavian

Quote from: 11B4V on September 22, 2011, 01:32:04 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 01:26:24 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 21, 2011, 11:11:31 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 21, 2011, 10:20:30 PM
Troy Anthony Davis, 10/9/1968 -- 11:08pm EST, 9/21/2011. 

Cause of death: homicide.

Military veteran

Cause of Death: Murdered by Troy Davis

He looks mildly retarded. Perhaps it was euthanasia.

Besides, with this hairdo and stache, he should have been executed for the crimes against style.

Edit: Sorry, just saw he was a military veteran. So yes, he actually was at least mildly retarded.

Blame and demonize the vic. Typical Euro. Nice attempt at a troll..fag.

Martinus is not the official spokesman for Europe.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

11B4V

Quote from: Octavian on September 22, 2011, 02:12:18 AM

Military veteran

Besides, with this hairdo and stache, he should have been executed for the crimes against style.

Edit: Sorry, just saw he was a military veteran. So yes, he actually was at least mildly retarded.

My apologies. But I did state Euro (singular) as apposed to Euros (plural).

Octavian

Quote from: 11B4V on September 22, 2011, 02:18:40 AM
Quote from: Octavian on September 22, 2011, 02:12:18 AM

Military veteran

My apologies. But I did state Euro (singular) as apposed to Euros (plural).

Ah I didn't see that. Well then I apologize for accusing you of elevating Martinus to a position he most certainly does not deserve nor have.

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Ideologue

Yeah, Martinus isn't a European, he's an Eastern European.  It's like how when you say "American," you don't mean "Mexican."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 02:35:58 AM
Yeah, Martinus isn't a European, he's an Eastern European.  It's like how when you say "American," you don't mean "Mexican."

Point taken for the future.

Eastern Europens to West Europeans are what Mexicans are to Americans.

Poles=Mexicans.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 22, 2011, 02:11:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 01:19:18 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2011, 08:23:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2011, 08:18:58 PM
Well, you can sorta fix a wrongful jail sentence.  You can let him go and hope bygones will be bygones.  If you execute him, there's less chance of that.
You can't take back years or decades of someone's life.  Making the puishment partially reversible isn't really a compelling fix to the wrongful conviction problem.

Again, you must realize this argument is bullshit - otherwise you would have no job as insurance would be useless. We compensate financially for various wrongs or harms done to people all the time. Why should this be different? The only case when someone cannot be compensated for a harm done to him, obviously, is when that person is dead.
Are people usually compensated for this? It seems very rare to me. :unsure:

At least in Europe, compensation for wrongful conviction is de rigeur. People even get compensated for pre-trial arrest if they are subsequently found not guilty, if the arrest is proven to be unnecessary or too long. There is extensive caselaw of ECHR on this.

Another area where European societies are freer when it comes to wrongful actions of their governments than is the case in the US.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

How nicely racist of you. It's funny how you consider yourself a leftist. You just want the government to take money away from the rich and give it to you. That's not leftism. That's being a jealous failure.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 03:24:09 AM

How nicely racist of you. It's funny how you consider yourself a leftist. You just want the government to take money away from the rich and give it to you. That's not leftism. That's being a jealous failure.

No more "racist" than calling the United States barbaric.  Oh, right, when you're blithely anti-American, you're just sticking up for principles, but when you talk a little shit in return about Jew-murdering, Nazi-loving Eastern Euros who other than the Czechs and Slovaks never even had a functioning democracy until the Goddamned  1990s, you're a bigot.

Of course, not "racist" by any normal, fluent definition of the term--I didn't say shit about Slavs.  "Eastern European" is not a race, you knob.  It's a geopolitical unit defined by domination by the USSR and/or communism, and often marked by the enthusiastic support of totalitarianism of any stripe.  Get with the pogrom.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)