News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Troy Davis execution

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 21, 2011, 10:27:16 PM
I don't really give a shit about concepts like "oh let's not be barbaric" and I also don't, and will not ever, allow a bunch of Jew-murdering bigots in Europe be the ones to dictate to me what is and is not barbarism.

Quote of the fucking day.  Kudos to the Yankees fan in Old Dominion.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 21, 2011, 10:21:48 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2011, 10:21:15 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 21, 2011, 10:20:30 PM
Troy Anthony Davis, 10/9/1968 -- 11:08pm 9/21/2011.  Cause of death: homicide.

:lol: Oh, please.

It's what goes on the coroner's report.

Well, in that case, it's OK.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 21, 2011, 10:23:34 PM
Let's focus on the important things instead: buying Exocets to fire at Japanese whaling ships.

Fuck yeah.

11B4V

Troy Anthony Davis, 10/9/1968 -- 11:08pm EST, 9/21/2011. 

Cause of death: homicide.

Bye, fucking copkiller
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

Homicide isn't a loaded word...it's any killing of one person by another. Quite a many killings are both morally and legally defensible.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 21, 2011, 10:39:50 PM
Homicide isn't a loaded word...

It is when celebrities and Euros use it.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2011, 08:16:10 PM
So, wrongfully sending a guy to prison for the rest of his life is not that bad? 
It is bad.  It is not as bad as killing him.  Once he's dead, he's not coming back.
If he spents 15-20 years in jail for a wrongful conviction, he can get money as a compensation.  Time is money.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2011, 08:35:21 PM
That doesn't address my point in any way, shape, or form however. My point is that no matter what CAN happen in a particular case, we are 100% certain that there are many, many cases where it is never fixed. Therefore, it is certainly the case that the system of incarceration is just as flawed in that it will *certainly* result in people going to jail who should not and who will never be exonerated. IE, from the permanence perspective, they are no different than someone executed.
[...]
My point is very simple. There is no difference from a permanence standpoint between the two systems. They both suffer from the flaw that innocent people will be unjustly punished and will never be exonerated.
People who are wrongfully convicted usually do not spend the remainder of their lives in jail.
And there's no clock ticking, and the procedures are less numerous than they are when you're trying to avoid execution.

What usually happens is that in 15-20 years top, some new facts arise and they are freed.  However, if he was exectued 10 years after his trial, or if bogus science was used to secure dp conviction, there's nothing to be done anymore.

Wich is why it's a valid argument against dp, and your argument is silly.  The other arguments being the cost of the procedures, for the State and for the defendant.  And the lack of a deterrent when used.  It's not like countries with death penalty have the lowest crime rates of all the world, you know.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2011, 10:49:10 PM
So, wrongfully sending a guy to prison for the rest of his life is not that bad?
It is bad.  It is not as bad as killing him. 
It's worse.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on September 21, 2011, 11:05:06 PM
It's worse.

I concur.

11B4V

Military veteran

Cause of Death: Murdered by Troy Davis

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on September 21, 2011, 11:05:06 PM
It's worse.
If I'm guilty of an horrible crime, I think I'd want to die rather than live with my conscience.
But if I was wrongfully convicted, I think I'd prefer sitting in jail for 10-15 years and get monetary compensation rather than be executed.

Given how many death penalty cases make it to the various appeal process, up to the Supreme court or the governor, I believe many share this line of thinking.  Of course, real criminals do appeal too.

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on September 21, 2011, 11:11:31 PM

Military veteran

how do you know that for a certainty?  How do you know the real killer is not free and laughing about it all?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2011, 11:14:53 PM
and get monetary compensation rather than be executed.

That's falling out of vogue.  Not everybody's scoring compensation in civil cases in some states.  Prosecution was in "good faith", and all that.

11B4V

Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2011, 11:16:16 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 21, 2011, 11:11:31 PM

Military veteran

how do you know that for a certainty?  How do you know the real killer is not free and laughing about it all?
Convicted. The state of Georgia will have to deal with it if it's a mistake. Until then...CONVICTED.