Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 03:21:34 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 22, 2011, 02:11:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 01:19:18 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 21, 2011, 08:23:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2011, 08:18:58 PM
Well, you can sorta fix a wrongful jail sentence.  You can let him go and hope bygones will be bygones.  If you execute him, there's less chance of that.
You can't take back years or decades of someone's life.  Making the puishment partially reversible isn't really a compelling fix to the wrongful conviction problem.

Again, you must realize this argument is bullshit - otherwise you would have no job as insurance would be useless. We compensate financially for various wrongs or harms done to people all the time. Why should this be different? The only case when someone cannot be compensated for a harm done to him, obviously, is when that person is dead.
Are people usually compensated for this? It seems very rare to me. :unsure:

At least in Europe, compensation for wrongful conviction is de rigeur. People even get compensated for pre-trial arrest if they are subsequently found not guilty, if the arrest is proven to be unnecessary or too long. There is extensive caselaw of ECHR on this.

Another area where European societies are freer when it comes to wrongful actions of their governments than is the case in the US.

But this is a fair point.  Compensation for wrongful conviction is a terribly obvious thing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on September 22, 2011, 03:22:35 AM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 21, 2011, 04:30:38 PM
and seven of nine have recanted.

1. It's "has".

2. :mmm:

:lol: She was the only reason to watch that dumb show.

As to the matter being discussed in the thread, I don't really care. Seems to me the dude was guilty, then again I'm against the death penalty.

It's no big loss to humanity, folks.

Grinning_Colossus

The plural of Euro is Euro.  :wacko:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 03:39:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 03:24:09 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 02:35:58 AM
Yeah, Martinus isn't a European, he's an Eastern European.  It's like how when you say "American," you don't mean "Mexican."

How nicely racist of you. It's funny how you consider yourself a leftist. You just want the government to take money away from the rich and give it to you. That's not leftism. That's being a jealous failure.

No more "racist" than calling the United States barbaric.  Oh, right, when you're blithely anti-American, you're just sticking up for principles, but when you talk a little shit in return about Jew-murdering, Nazi-loving Eastern Euros who other than the Czechs and Slovaks never even had a functioning democracy until the Goddamned  1990s, you're a bigot.

Of course, not "racist" by any normal, fluent definition of the term--I didn't say shit about Slavs.  "Eastern European" is not a race, you knob.  It's a geopolitical unit defined by domination by the USSR and/or communism, and often marked by the enthusiastic support of totalitarianism of any stripe.  Get with the pogrom.

I was talking about you looking down on Mexicans.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 04:17:49 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 03:39:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 03:24:09 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2011, 02:35:58 AM
Yeah, Martinus isn't a European, he's an Eastern European.  It's like how when you say "American," you don't mean "Mexican."

How nicely racist of you. It's funny how you consider yourself a leftist. You just want the government to take money away from the rich and give it to you. That's not leftism. That's being a jealous failure.

No more "racist" than calling the United States barbaric.  Oh, right, when you're blithely anti-American, you're just sticking up for principles, but when you talk a little shit in return about Jew-murdering, Nazi-loving Eastern Euros who other than the Czechs and Slovaks never even had a functioning democracy until the Goddamned  1990s, you're a bigot.

Of course, not "racist" by any normal, fluent definition of the term--I didn't say shit about Slavs.  "Eastern European" is not a race, you knob.  It's a geopolitical unit defined by domination by the USSR and/or communism, and often marked by the enthusiastic support of totalitarianism of any stripe.  Get with the pogrom.

I was talking about you looking down on Mexicans.

I don't really.  Mexicans are a fine people, albeit one with comparatively little experience with a legitimate state apparatus, much as Eastern Europeans.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grinning_Colossus

In Warsaw, are there stray dogs everywhere?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Warspite

Even the trolling here is stale these days. :(
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 01:23:05 AM
Are you saying that in order to be out, you have to tell every individual you meet that you are gay?

It would certainly make things easier when it comes to curbstomping them.  Fag.

Martinus

Well, let's not argue. At least we can all agree that something positive came out of this story - there is one less pig left alive. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 05:52:55 AM
Well, let's not argue. At least we can all agree that something positive came out of this story - there is one less pig left alive. :)

Enjoy your day off!

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2011, 05:52:55 AM

Boo, bad form.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 21, 2011, 10:16:51 PM
One of the guys who dragged James Byrd to death back in the late 90s was executed tonight in Texas as well.  What an exciting evening for the justice system.

QuoteAUSTIN (Reuters) - Texas executed a white supremacist on Wednesday convicted of helping to kill a black man by dragging him behind a truck in what some call the most notorious race crime of the post-Civil Rights era.

Lawrence Russell Brewer, 44, was convicted of capital murder along with two other men also found guilty of taking part in the kidnapping and slaying of James Byrd Jr. in 1998.

Brewer was given a lethal injection of drugs and pronounced dead at 6:21 p.m. local time in Huntsville, Texas, according to Michelle Lyons of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. He had no last words.

Brewer, together with the two other men, offered Byrd a ride home, attacked him on a country road, chained his ankles to the back of a pickup, and then dragged him behind the truck for several miles in the vicinity of Jasper, Texas, according to a report by the Texas Attorney General's Office.

The east Texas killing touched off a national movement to strengthen punishments for crimes motivated by hate.

Of the two other men convicted in the killing, white supremacist John King is on death row awaiting an execution date. Shawn Berry is serving a life sentence.

"One down, one to go," Billy Roles, who was Jasper County Sheriff at the time and led the investigation into Byrd's death, told Reuters.

QuoteFor his last meal, Brewer requested a number of items, including chicken-fried steak and Bluebell ice cream, and then declined them all, saying he wasn't hungry, officials said.

lolz, nervous much

Caliga

For my last meal I'd request a gallon of whiskey.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on September 22, 2011, 06:19:12 AM
For my last meal I'd request a gallon of whiskey.
That's what I'm talkin 'bout.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Didn't one of the Nazis executed in Israel do something like that? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points