News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Troy Davis execution

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

The Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles denied clemency to him yesterday.  The state is scheduled to kill him by lethal injection at 7:00pm EST today.

State murder in the USA in 2011.   :swiss:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Berkut

Why is this notable?

Also, I don't think the word "murder" means what you think it means.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

AnchorClanker

What bothers me is the fact that the state has not proven guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and that was BEFORE 7 of 9 witnesses recanted their testimony.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Berkut on September 21, 2011, 04:10:14 PM
Also, I don't think the word "murder" means what you think it means.

:D
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

I was in favor of a delay until I heard Europeans open their big stupid ape like mouths on the issue.

Stick the needle in.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 21, 2011, 04:11:16 PM
What bothers me is the fact that the state has not proven guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and that was BEFORE 7 of 9 witnesses recanted their testimony.

I think you have confused the word "fact" with the term "in my opinion".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2011, 04:15:47 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 21, 2011, 04:11:16 PM

I think you have confused the word "fact" with the term "in my opinion".

Not in this case.  In his previous hearings, even the state admitted as much.  This is a different matter than the usual protest about an execution - there's some serious doubt about the procedure, etc.

I am not against the death penalty, but I do demand that those slated to be executed get a fair trial, have their guilt absolutely proven and that their appeals are heard promptly and fairly.

Besides most of the witnesses bagging out, the state did not provide material evidence that he was the murderer.
No weapon, no DNA, nothing.  That case was decided on the eyewitnesses, and seven of nine have recanted.
He has offered to take a poly, and the state refused to give him a poly.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Martinus

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 21, 2011, 04:30:38 PM
I am not against the death penalty, but I do demand that those slated to be executed get a fair trial, have their guilt absolutely proven and that their appeals are heard promptly and fairly.

Berkut is going to respond how unjust death penalty is not worse than prison sentence in 3. 2. 1...

Also, until you do away with your barbaric customs, please refrain from ever criticizing Europe for violating basic freedoms, such as a freedom to yell gibberish in Arabic in a street.

AnchorClanker

There are merits to being pro- and anti-death penalty.  Barbarism is also in the eye of the beholder.

For the record, I am pro-death penalty in principle, but anti-death penalty in certain circumstances.
I have zero problem with a guilty murderer being executed, but I demand in return that the state not abuse this power in weak cases.

Martinus

I'm just pointing out than in Europe we have decided universally that death penalty is a basic violation of human rights.

I'm rather happy to be a part of culture that considers human life to be more valuable than an ability to express a belief in imaginary creatures.

Admiral Yi

Heard the DA who tried the case interviewed on CNN.  He pointed out that the defense team had possession of the recantations and sat on them (for years??) until 8 days before the orginal execution date.  And that a court examined the recantations and found them not credible.

AnchorClanker

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2011, 05:01:16 PM
Heard the DA who tried the case interviewed on CNN.  He pointed out that the defense team had possession of the recantations and sat on them (for years??) until 8 days before the orginal execution date.  And that a court examined the recantations and found them not credible.

Very troubling.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 04:59:03 PM
I'm just pointing out than in Europe we have decided universally that death penalty is a basic violation of human rights.

I'm rather happy to be a part of culture that considers human life to be more valuable than an ability to express a belief in imaginary creatures.

Tainted

Mart and Tim form the axis of taint.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 21, 2011, 05:01:16 PM
At the evidentiary hearing ordered by the U.S. Supreme Court (which was a very unusual move), the defense also did not actually call the witnesses, but merely relied on their affidavits. :hmm:

Oh, and there is going to be a vigil at my university for Davis. What do you guys think the prospects are for scoring some tail at said event?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.