Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on August 03, 2011, 02:51:59 AM
The question is: what will happen when the oil wells run dry?

I'll be dead by then, so I don't care. When the natural gas runs dry my grandchildren (or at least theoretical potential grandchildren) will be dead.

There is no need to worry for norway yet.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on August 03, 2011, 02:06:31 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 02, 2011, 06:05:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 02, 2011, 05:59:53 PM
I'm confused at the appearance of Slargos, defender of the downtrodden guest workers. Can we expect to see more of him?

You are confused because you're not very imaginative, but rather rely on your vast capacity for prejudice and assumption to guide you.

Nothing I can help you with, I'm afraid. :console:

Thing is, Jake, that I think that I'm not really a person to you. I'm just a racist, and you assign motivation, beliefs and behaviour to me in order to fit your preconceived notion of what a racist is. Thus you're surprised that I find the treatment of polacks, pakis and niggers in Norway to be often reprehensible. I also find slavery to be an abomination. However, since I'm just a racist, this doesn't compute.

you would be more convincing as a defender of the opressed foreign workers in Norway if you weren't a foreign worker in Norway yourself.  :lol:

Your prejudice at work.

I've never knowingly suffered from the things I describe here, other than a sometimes condescending attitude. Swedes are less vulnerable to it than other ethnicities. Although some agencies and employers are worse than others, granted.

And to be honest, it's not really all the bullshit that grates at me the most. So what if foreigners are treated differently from Norwegians? It's their country after all. But the holier-than-thou attitude and the constant lies really sets me off.

And, like Viking noted, the acceptance of mediocrity has me baffled.

Norwegians are pretty well travelled. IIRC, on average 7 out of 10 people have at some point been to Sweden specifically with the intent to buy basic goods and they must have noted the difference in quality and selection themselves. But the thing is, if you go to a store right across the border the selection typically almost mirrors that of the Norwegian stores since this is what the Norwads want. Why do they accept having roads that are several yearly maintenance budgets behind on basic repairs? The "we are a mountainous country" excuse simply doesn't work because for one the roads in the parts that aren't tricky to build in are in a dismal state aswell, and there are certainly countries with as much geographical difficulties that manage to build acceptable roads anyway.

In Stockholm, you might find the odd piece of pavement inside a small community, or some back road that is hardly used that has the odd pot-hole and other types of damage. In Oslo, the only routes that don't feel like driving across a wash board are the main arteries.

I simply cannot understand how they can live this way and keep electing the same, worthless politicians.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2011, 02:33:50 AM
Norway sounds as joyful as an Ingmar Bergman film.
:hmm: Maybe, but not like this one:

Smiles of a Summer Night/Sommarnattens Leende

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0048641/

CountDeMoney

I'm bailing on this thread.

Cheese dick-measuring? Really?

Slargos

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 03, 2011, 04:34:43 AM

Yeah, I can see why an american would be uncomfortable discussing cheese quality.  :P

Admiral Yi

300 items in the whole fucking supermarket?? :blink:

Am I reading that correctly?

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on August 03, 2011, 05:01:47 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 03, 2011, 04:34:43 AM

Yeah, I can see why an american would be uncomfortable discussing cheese quality.  :P

I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in New York there is a huge variety of awesome cheese, both domestic and foreign.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2011, 03:04:49 PM
300 items in the whole fucking supermarket?? :blink:

Am I reading that correctly?

I presume this specifically references food, and not the other types of products, but yeah it certainly sounds like the ballpark.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Slargos on August 03, 2011, 03:12:01 PM
I presume this specifically references food, and not the other types of products, but yeah it certainly sounds like the ballpark.

I'm blown away.  Here 300 gets you just to the types of breakfast cereal.

Berkut

My local Wegmans (chain grocery store), according to their website has 356 items in their cheese department.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2011, 03:13:28 PM

That is what I'm trying to tell you.  :D

But apparently I'm just a nut.  :P

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2011, 03:13:28 PM

Wegmans: 224 choices of breakfast cereal. :yeah:

0 rows returned

Berkut

OK, with this news I am withdrawing from my position that this is not a systemic issue.

Norway really needs to look closely at the choices they have made. A man cannot eat the same food every single day and stay completely sane.

0 rows returned

Neil

If Norway serves up shitty meals, the terrorists win.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Canada has a fairly shitty selection of cheeses available.

Damn you, Dairy Commission of Canada.  Damn you to HELL!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.