Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on August 03, 2011, 05:00:15 PM
It's the French word for it. In Polish, it's called "white cheese" (as opposed to "yellow cheese" and "mold cheese"). Is "fromage" used in English too?

It's the French word for all cheese.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2011, 04:12:39 PM
My God, is there anything that Wegman's *can't* do? :o

There has to be something, I am sure.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2011, 05:02:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 03, 2011, 05:00:15 PM
It's the French word for it. In Polish, it's called "white cheese" (as opposed to "yellow cheese" and "mold cheese"). Is "fromage" used in English too?

It's the French word for all cheese.

You are right. I must have been confused.  :huh:

DGuller

How can you keep all those 356 kinds of cheese fresh anyway, if you don't have 1,000,000 customers keeping down the turnaround times?  Last time I visited a supermarket with a large selection of cheese, a lot of their cheese had mold all over it. :x

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on August 03, 2011, 05:06:19 PM
How can you keep all those 356 kinds of cheese fresh anyway, if you don't have 1,000,000 customers keeping down the turnaround times?  Last time I visited a supermarket with a large selection of cheese, a lot of their cheese had mold all over it. :x
:D

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 03, 2011, 04:57:16 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 03, 2011, 03:18:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2011, 03:13:28 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 03, 2011, 03:12:01 PM
I presume this specifically references food, and not the other types of products, but yeah it certainly sounds like the ballpark.

I'm blown away.  Here 300 gets you just to the types of breakfast cereal.

Wegmans: 224 choices of breakfast cereal. :yeah:

121 here. :P

The space for the remaining 100 or so breakfast cereals is filled with different types of sausage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 03, 2011, 04:11:02 PM
Wegmans has thought of that, actually.

If you just want your basic cheese, you go over to the cheese section by the dairy aisle. Maybe 30 choices (the standard fair - cheddar, sharp, mild, American, swiss, etc., etc.).

If you want to go gourmet, then you go to the Cheese Shop, and they will actually cut you cheese to order and such. I am always tempted to buy one of those 40 pound wheels of something, just to keep in the living room.

I don't think that is specific to Wegmans. Most of the grocery store chains have the small section of cheaply priced nice every day cheeses by dairy, a section of gourmet cheeses and then the cheeses that you can get sliced behind the deli counter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Incidentally, does anyone here regularly order groceries online? I started doing so about a year ago and never looked back.

Norgy

I like the idea, but I want to buy at least fruit and vegetables and meat/fish cuts in person.

Obviously, since there's only one type of cheese and other stuff, I could order that with my local Party-run shop.

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on August 04, 2011, 03:30:18 AM
I like the idea, but I want to buy at least fruit and vegetables and meat/fish cuts in person.

Obviously, since there's only one type of cheese and other stuff, I could order that with my local Party-run shop.

Well, the products they deliver are fresh and I'm not one of the people who knock on melons or rub avocados before buying, so that's not a problem for me.

But for me the main benefit are products like bottled water, milk and other stuff you can buy in larger quantities - I don't own a car and it is a pain to carry all that back home from the store.

The shop I order online from has a section associated with a gourmet Polish food company (the shop is actually is a brick and mortar chain, they just have an online store too) so it is easy to order good food like meat or eggs or vegetable products from them too. They told me when you order from them, they do not collect that stuff from the warehouse but rather have some assistant pick them from an actual store before delivery.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Norgy

Tamas