Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Apparently the creep has asked for a Japanese expert (instead of Norwegian ones) to examine him, since they have a better understanding of the meaning of honor. :yuk:

I bet he is an anime fan.  <_<

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/norwegian-stores-withdraw-violent-video-games-attacks-170947313.html

QuoteNorwegian stores withdraw violent video games after attacks

Two video games used by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik in planning his July 22 killing spree have been withdrawn from a number of stores across Norway, one co-op chain said Tuesday.

Coop Norge, one of the country's major grocery store chains and its main co-op, said it took the decision "out of respect" for the families of the 77 people slain in the twin attacks.

The move was launched on July 24 "to spare people who, in one way or another, were affected by the terrorist acts," the chain's director for non-food items Geir Inge Stokke told AFP.

"We don't want them to stumble upon violent video games while buying milk and bread in our stores," he said.

In a 1,500-page manifesto posted online, Behring Breivik said he was a fan of "World of Warcraft" and "Call of Duty - Modern Warfare" and that he had played the games while preparing his rampage.

Coop told its locations which carried video games -- 50 of 900 stores -- to remove about 50 products from its aisles, including the games cited by Behring Breivik.

Norwegian media reported Platekompaniet, one of the country's leading movie-, video game- and music-selling chains had also pulled some games from its stores. The company did not respond to AFP's request for comment.

Some Norwegian gamers blasted the move.

"This type of logic is problematic when we think of the number of people who play these games without committing crimes or assaults," gamer Audun Rodem said in a July 29 post on his blog.

Stokke said Coop did not intend to stigmatise players, and that the chain would evaluate later if and when to reintroduce the games.

Behring Breivik killed eight people with a bomb he set off in Oslo's government quarter and he later gunned down 69 people, many of them teenagers, who were attending a retreat run by the Norwegian Labour Party's youth wing on the island of Utoeya.

He confessed to the attacks, saying he was waging a war on the "islamisation" of western Europe and on multiculturalism.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

I hear they're withdrawing games after the shooting spree. Can anyone verify?

derspiess

Are people that offended by seeing these games in the store?  If so, why not just move them to a less conspicuous location (a la girlie mags here in US stores) for the time being?  I guess doing so would prevent them from putting out a big press release telling everyone how sensitive they are by yanking the games from the shelves.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

Quote from: derspiess on August 02, 2011, 01:01:00 PM
Are people that offended by seeing these games in the store?  If so, why not just move them to a less conspicuous location (a la girlie mags here in US stores) for the time being?  I guess doing so would prevent them from putting out a big press release telling everyone how sensitive they are by yanking the games from the shelves.

The very obvious heart of the matter.

For all the bluster about how fine a people the Norwegians are, they are not as a rule above exploiting tragedy for personal gain.

Martinus

That's pretty retarded, especially with games like World of Warcraft. :D

Are they also withdrawing the shows he liked, like True Blood or Dexter?

Ok, Slargos, you sold me on the idea that the Norwegian populace deserves nothing but extermination. They are a bunch of idiots.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on August 02, 2011, 01:09:09 PM

Ok, Slargos, you sold me on the idea that the Norwegian populace deserves nothing but extermination. They are a bunch of idiots.

It's two opportunist chain stores. Not all of them.

A plumbing business [!] has also reportedly started selling "rememberance bracelets" for $30 a pop with the initial promise that $1 would go to the restoration of Utøya, later changed to $5 after they started getting death threats over the phone.

The Norwegians need to be exterminated for entierly different reasons.  :P

Norgy

So far only Gates of Vienna has blamed Dexter.

What's double retarded is that the terrorist said he used WoW as a cover to explain his absence and withdrawal.
I don't see how these corporate policies reflect badly on "the people" of Norway, though, but I am sure Slargos can explain that.

The moral panic these days is reaching a frenzy.
Violence and bad language in visual and audio media has been a pet project for the Mothers Of Prevention everywhere for nearly three decades, and now that the overshadowing threat from subliminal messages on LPs has somewhat subsided, it's only natural to focus attentions to computer games. Surely some of the pixels are sending morse coded messages.

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on August 02, 2011, 01:20:34 PM

What's double retarded is that the terrorist said he used WoW as a cover to explain his absence and withdrawal.
I don't see how these corporate policies reflect badly on "the people" of Norway, though, but I am sure Slargos can explain that.

It reflects badly on the companies, and the people who made the decisions in question.

I thought I made that clear. Can't you read good?

The fact that Norwegians in general have a disturbing tendency to pay enthusiastic lip service to humanistic and democractic values while actively abusing the rights of for instance guest workers whenever they have an opportunity [and in light of this, the opportunism of these companies is easier to understand] does speak volumes about Norwegians.

Norgy

Quote from: Slargos on August 02, 2011, 01:31:56 PM

The fact that Norwegians in general have a disturbing tendency to pay enthusiastic lip service to humanistic and democractic values while actively abusing the rights of for instance guest workers whenever they have an opportunity [and in light of this, the opportunism of these companies is easier to understand] does speak volumes about Norwegians.

Agreed. My post was written without me having read yours.
Filipino au pairs? Nobody would ever abuse them! Surely? Or underpay Eastern Europeans? No way.

Anyway. Moral panic. I think we should ban keyboards, since so much hate obviously has been expressed through them.

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on August 02, 2011, 04:34:34 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 02, 2011, 01:31:56 PM

Agreed. My post was written without me having read yours.
Filipino au pairs? Nobody would ever abuse them! Surely? Or underpay Eastern Europeans? No way.

Anyway. Moral panic. I think we should ban keyboards, since so much hate obviously has been expressed through them.

I'm not just talking about underpaying them, which is just free market at work. I'm talking about denying them basic rights, forcing them to work while sick by threatening them to have them deported, withholding pension payments, ignoring the regulations on over-time both in payment and amount. The list goes on, and it's a filthy, filthy behaviour.

Then Norwegians complain that going back to an 8 hour work day instead of 7.5 hours would be "like going back to the 19th century".

It's a fine show they've got going, and for all the snillisme foreign labour is sometimes treated like animals.

Politicians and the departments act all sjokkert and outraged, and a lot of etterettning is taken. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to realize that this behaviour is done with the very good memory of the government.

All the while, Norwegians in general have to suffer shoddy quality in their food, broken pavement, trains that fall apart and mobile networks that break down like clockwork on friday evening.

I just wonder why the fuck you put up with it.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on August 02, 2011, 05:01:18 PM
Man, Norway sounds like a hellhole.

Far from it. It's simply not all lute-fisk, lusekofte and funny dances, however. :uffda:

Foreign labour works under conditions that the Norwads themselves would simply not stand, and they do it often for a pittance. Now, this would not in and of itself be a terrible thing. Every nation must decide how to treat foreigners themselves. What makes it obnoxious is that outwardly the Norwads pride themselves on being upstanding people who take the plight of the workers seriously [as long as they are Norwegian].

There is a stark contrast between pretense or wishful thinking and the reality.

Slargos

Frankly, it's hard to describe to someone who isn't familiar with it.

The selection of brands and types of foodstuffs is extremely limited in Norway, mostly I would expect because of the tolls but also because Norwegians as a rule don't really want to pay for quality. After being in Norway for a while, and stepping into a Swedish supermarket it just feels like a stupid joke.

Picking out cheese for instance, in a Norwegian store is a matter of choosing which of the three available brands of bland, chemical tasting light yellow "can't-believe-it's-not-cheese" products you'd like. It doesn't really matter because they all taste the same. The government mandates that this cheese should be enough for everyone, and anything else is a luxury and luxuries are frowned upon in Norway.

In Sweden, you'll get at the very least several dozen types, shapes, brands and tastes in any averagely well stocked store.

And the pot holes. Jesus dear fucking lord, the pot holes. The shape of the infrastructure is what you'd expect from a former east-bloc country. Except I think they probably have better roads.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned