Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 03, 2011, 03:19:51 PM
OK, with this news I am withdrawing from my position that this is not a systemic issue.

Norway really needs to look closely at the choices they have made. A man cannot eat the same food every single day and stay completely sane.
At the same time, there is such a thing as too much choice.  Sometimes you just need some fucking cheese, and if you're not a big cheese expert, having 356 kinds of cheese to choose from isn't really helpful.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 03, 2011, 04:00:19 PM
OK, with this news I am withdrawing from my position that this is not a systemic issue.

Norway really needs to look closely at the choices they have made. A man cannot eat the same food every single day and stay completely sane.
At the same time, there is such a thing as too much choice.  Sometimes you just need some fucking cheese, and if you're not a big cheese expert, having 356 kinds of cheese to choose from isn't really helpful.

Sov-niet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Wegmans has thought of that, actually.

If you just want your basic cheese, you go over to the cheese section by the dairy aisle. Maybe 30 choices (the standard fair - cheddar, sharp, mild, American, swiss, etc., etc.).

If you want to go gourmet, then you go to the Cheese Shop, and they will actually cut you cheese to order and such. I am always tempted to buy one of those 40 pound wheels of something, just to keep in the living room.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

My God, is there anything that Wegman's *can't* do? :o

Slargos

No, there really isn't. For you neurotic types maybe that's true, but I find the range of options simply wonderful. Walking into a supermarket in Sweden feels like it should be accompanied by angelic chords, every fucking time.

There is exactly one chain in Norway that even comes close to acceptable levels, and even they can just provide the very basic level of civilization.

Sure, I typically go for the Gouda, but there's simply a feeling of relief every time I go to the LANE of shelves (unlike your average Norwegian store with just one measily shelf) and pick out my favourite among hundreds. I am reassured that I'm not living in a communist country or the third world.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

More choice is good. I do find it weird that the biscuit and fizzy drinks aisles are so extensive; but suspect that the people who appreciate that are mystified by the cheese and beer choices that I find so pleasing.

DGuller will not be getting a Christmas card from me this year......"Sometimes you just need some fucking cheese......."............I'm shocked by this barbarous outlook  :mad:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 03, 2011, 04:46:40 PM
DGuller will not be getting a Christmas card from me this year......

-5 multiculturalism points. :wagsfinger:

Richard Hakluyt

Established religion here in the UK...................I was obliged to say it as I did as an ironic comment on British monoculturalism  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 03, 2011, 04:53:15 PM
Established religion here in the UK...................I was obliged to say it as I did as an ironic comment on British monoculturalism  :hmm:

Penalty reduced to 3 points. :bureacrat:

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on August 03, 2011, 03:15:46 PM
My local Wegmans (chain grocery store), according to their website has 356 items in their cheese department.

Hell, I just checked and Alma (the grocery where I shop online) has over 300 types of cheese in their offer, not counting cottage cheese (fromage) and processed cheese. And that's fucking Poland.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on August 03, 2011, 03:18:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2011, 03:13:28 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 03, 2011, 03:12:01 PM
I presume this specifically references food, and not the other types of products, but yeah it certainly sounds like the ballpark.

I'm blown away.  Here 300 gets you just to the types of breakfast cereal.

Wegmans: 224 choices of breakfast cereal. :yeah:

121 here. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2011, 04:58:32 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 03, 2011, 04:55:55 PM
cottage cheese (fromage)

You call cottage cheese "fromage?"

It's the French word for it. In Polish, it's called "white cheese" (as opposed to "yellow cheese" and "mold cheese"). Is "fromage" used in English too?