News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hats

Started by Caliga, May 18, 2011, 08:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 01:36:23 PM
I sometimes get a little defensive about the Mormons because, while I'm not one and don't hold any particular love for them, they get beaten up on Languish mercilessly whenever they come up.

Fundies of all flavors tend to.

Though I enjoy mocking the Baptists the most since they are such tremendous hypocrits....in fact I think they take pride in it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 01:38:26 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2011, 01:35:28 PM
I cannot but fail to see the similarity, aside from the fact they're both abominably racist, at one point both practiced atrocity as a way of life, and at some point the United States had to burn the evil out of each of them.  But other than that...
The Mormons aren't racist anymore.  They used to be, in that blacks were permitted to join their Chruch but not be Church leaders of any kind.  But then the Federal Government threatened to revoke their tax-exempt status.  In an incredible coincidence, the Lord spoke to the Church Elders at that time and told them that black people were no longer a cursed race and it was okay to admit black (men) into the Aaronic Priesthood.  So see, not racist. :)
He said the South. :hmm:

We evidently forgot to burn the evil out of Deseret.

In any event, I do see your point about the Mormons getting a bad rap.  On occasion, I feel the same way about Scientology.  Yes, it's a cult or something like a cult, and yes, they believe in awfully stupid things, and yes, they abuse the American legal system, but in what way is this radically different than Christianity?

Edit: I like how this thread is no longer a boring as fuck inventory of people's Goddamn closets. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2011, 01:42:41 PM
In any event, I do see your point about the Mormons getting a bad rap.  On occasion, I feel the same way about Scientology.  Yes, it's a cult or something like a cult, and yes, they believe in awfully stupid things, and yes, they abuse the American legal system, but in what way is this radically different than Christianity?

Christianity has many different flavors and can vary drastically from church to church and from sect to sect.  There are some that are in Mormon and Scientology catagories and some that are not.  Mormonism and Scientology are centrally controlled by committees of raging douchebags.

Christianity and Mormons attempt to do good works and charity in the community.  Scientology aims to control people and separate them from their community.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Caliga's defense only makes me hate them more.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on May 18, 2011, 01:49:17 PM
Caliga's defense only makes me hate them more.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2011, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2011, 01:42:41 PM

Christianity has many different flavors and can vary drastically from church to church and from sect to sect.  There are some that are in Mormon and Scientology catagories and some that are not.  Mormonism and Scientology are centrally controlled by committees of raging douchebags.

Christianity and Mormons attempt to do good works and charity in the community.  Scientology aims to control people and separate them from their community.

True, Scientology doesn't have a great track record as a charitable organization.

In any event, for better or worse, the face of Christianity to me isn't something venerable and basically nonthreatening like the Episcopalian Church, but Tim LaHaye and Sarah Palin and their ilk.  I find them far more unappealing than a huckster organization that peddles stories about space ghosts and alien nukes and a bizarre paranoia about psychology.

On the other hand, mainline Scientology (versus Freezone Scientologists that practice independently of the church) is indeed somewhat more obviously a weird, productless business than evangelical Christianity.  Any religion that won't give you their holy books for free does smack of a scam.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

I hate hats.  I hate the feeling of something touching my head.  And hats are pointless.  So no hats.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on May 18, 2011, 12:22:55 PM
Too many baseball caps to count.

Ditto.

QuoteGrey felt fedora

I really wish they'd come back in style.

Think is, you've got to have the correct hat head for a hat.  I'm too self-conscious with my round-ass Charlie Brown-Peter Griffin head to wear a fedora.

Caliga

My head is round too. :bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Seventh Day Adventists don't eat pork but they eat beef.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 07:39:20 PM
My head is round too. :bowler:

No, there's round, and then there's a perfect sphere in a if-DaVinci-could-draw-a-perfect-sphere kinda way.  That's my head, courtesy of Dad.

Thank Christ I didn't get his hairline.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2011, 07:45:29 PM
Seventh Day Adventists don't eat pork but they eat beef.
:hmm: I thought they were vegetarian, too?

It might be that pork is banned but some take it further.  On that note, IIRC Mormons aren't absolutely banned from caffeine and alcohol, I don't think... but it's one of those "we strongly recommend you not drink these things" type of deals where you can if you insist, but everyone's gonna think you're an asshole if you do and whisper about you behind your back.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 07:50:08 PM
and whisper about you behind your back.

Didn't think they were big into Judaism, too.

DGuller

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 18, 2011, 09:02:39 AM
I have a brown baseball cap that I sometimes use for reading,
When you're done with that, I recommend giving books or newspapers a shot.