News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA rules review

Started by Berkut, May 19, 2011, 10:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Well, it is that time of year again, and we are starting to get our video plays for rules reviews. I will post some of the more interesting ones here for perusal by those who care about such things.

This one is kind of interesting. Is player 60 for ND smart for not grabbing the ball after it bounces off of the receiver and before it hits the ground?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVuxl_q2h9M

Question: Could 60 have touched the ball after it bounced off the receiver if there was NOT a fair catch signal, but before the ball hit the ground?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on May 19, 2011, 10:01:17 AM
This one is kind of interesting. Is player 60 for ND smart for not grabbing the ball after it bounces off of the receiver and before it hits the ground?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVuxl_q2h9M

Question: Could 60 have touched the ball after it bounced off the receiver if there was NOT a fair catch signal, but before the ball hit the ground?

1) Yes, player 60 should not have grabbed the ball before it hit the ground.  Fair catch protection extends until the kick touches the ground; the receiver still has a chance to catch until that point.

2) Yes, player 60 could have touched the ball if there was NOT a fair catch signal.  After a member of the receiving team touches an inbounds punt, any player may catch or recover the ball.

dps

I think Ulmont has it right as far as it goes.

MadBurgerMaker

That happened in a Texans game last year against Tennessee, Jacoby "Stone Hands On Anything Except Wildly Acrobatic Catches" Jones called for a fair catch, muffed it, and the Titans player grabbed the ball before it hit the ground.  I think it hit Jones in the face actually.  Anyhow, penalty for kick catch interference, Texans ball, I laugh then go back to heavily drinking.  Looks like the NCAA rules are the same.