And we're back!

Main Menu

Hats

Started by Caliga, May 18, 2011, 08:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2011, 12:50:48 PM
Yes.

Colas are something of a grey area though IIRC.

Sounds like a fun bunch!

Whisky? :unsure:

Caliga

Quote from: Lucidor on May 18, 2011, 12:53:55 PM
Sounds like a fun bunch!

All alcohol is banned.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2011, 12:50:48 PM
Yes.

Colas are something of a grey area though IIRC.

Sounds like a fun bunch!

They ban drinking tea and coffee, and you think they might allow alcohol? :lol:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

As much as you guys might mock them for this, they do have a significantly longer life expectancy than non-Mormons in the US. :hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2011, 12:26:23 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 11:18:43 AM
I bought a leather cowboy hat in Sedona, and it's been with me ever since. I secretly wish I could wear it more often, and I sometimes do for when I'm out travelling, and I get some pretty funny comments too.

Overheard on a train in Scotland: "Wow, he must be some sort of free spirit, travelling the world."

From a little boy at an airport, wistfully staring at me: "You really love that hat, don't you?"  :D

Leather cowboy hat?

I've never ehard of such a thing - and I live in cowboy country.

http://www.google.no/search?q=leather%20cowboy%20hat&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:nb-NO:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=no&tab=wi&biw=1440&bih=766

I dunno. Maybe real cowboys didn't wear leather hats. I like mine though.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 01:01:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2011, 12:26:23 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 18, 2011, 11:18:43 AM
I bought a leather cowboy hat in Sedona, and it's been with me ever since. I secretly wish I could wear it more often, and I sometimes do for when I'm out travelling, and I get some pretty funny comments too.

Overheard on a train in Scotland: "Wow, he must be some sort of free spirit, travelling the world."

From a little boy at an airport, wistfully staring at me: "You really love that hat, don't you?"  :D

Leather cowboy hat?

I've never ehard of such a thing - and I live in cowboy country.

http://www.google.no/search?q=leather%20cowboy%20hat&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:nb-NO:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=no&tab=wi&biw=1440&bih=766

I dunno. Maybe real cowboys didn't wear leather hats. I like mine though.

It says "bushman", but is it made of real darkie skin?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 01:00:09 PM
As much as you guys might mock them for this, they do have a significantly longer life expectancy than non-Mormons in the US. :hmm:

Sounds like LDS propaganda to me.

They are a western state, which tend to be healthier, and are mostly white which is an ethnic group that tends to live a bit longer.  Then they compare themselves to the rest of the entire United States population and judge it is because of their superiority.

Utah does not have a higher, much less significantly higher life expectancy than any other western state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I've heard that repeatedly from sources that don't appear to be Mormon-owned.  The same thing is said about Seventh-Day Adventists who refuse alcohol and meat (but as far as I know are not against caffeine consumption).  It seems likely to me that modern populations that avoid alcohol would have a higher life expectancy... you no longer need to drink alcoholic beverages since water supplies are generally safe, and alcohol abuse leads to all sorts of dangerous behaviors like DUI, not to mention cirrhosis.

I'm not arguing against alcohol consumption, of course--I brew alcoholic beverages myself.

I will also say that, while I've not personally known many Mormons, the few I have known were all fit and trim.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 01:16:35 PM
I've heard that repeatedly from sources that don't appear to be Mormon-owned.  The same thing is said about Seventh-Day Adventists who refuse alcohol and meat (but as far as I know are not against caffeine consumption).  It seems likely to me that modern populations that avoid alcohol would have a higher life expectancy... you no longer need to drink alcoholic beverages since water supplies are generally safe, and alcohol abuse leads to all sorts of dangerous behaviors like DUI, not to mention cirrhosis.

Oh sorry I thought we were mocking the tea and mastrubation thing.

You have any numbers to back that up?  I have been googling but the only thing I can find is a study by BYU showing that Mormons have a higher life expectancy than non-Mormons inside Utah.

But it appears that the Utah life expectancy (79.5) is behind such strongholds of temperance as California (79.7) and France (80.7)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 12:56:19 PM
Sounds like a fun bunch!

All alcohol is banned.

Sounds like I'd fit right in. Hot liquids are vile.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 18, 2011, 12:21:01 PM
I could never be a mormon! They are an adorable people, but i'd need a lobotomy to sign on their beliefs. It is too dishonest to go along with things I don't believe just for the sake of their charming, beautiful culture. Besides, 10% tithing, no tea? No masturbation, even? They ask too much. I would hate to be a false Mormon, and I couldn't be a proper one.

I am not Japanese, although of course my progeny will be partially so. I admire Japan and its culture; it is a shining beacon of light in the world, and I cannot fail to see similarities between the South and Japan at times.

I cannot but fail to see the similarity, aside from the fact they're both abominably racist, at one point both practiced atrocity as a way of life, and at some point the United States had to burn the evil out of each of them.  But other than that...
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

:D

I sometimes get a little defensive about the Mormons because, while I'm not one and don't hold any particular love for them, they get beaten up on Languish mercilessly whenever they come up.  I think that stems from Spellus's irrational, frothing hatred for them and others just kind of followed suit.

While I do view some of their beliefs as 'wacky', I don't understand why they'd be considered any more wacky than mainstream Christians.  All of these groups believe in an invisible dude and his undead son with the power to magically turn water into wine.  Oh, and the invisible guy actually is the son... or kind of is in some ways, but not others depending on who you talk to. :wacko:

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2011, 01:35:28 PM
I cannot but fail to see the similarity, aside from the fact they're both abominably racist, at one point both practiced atrocity as a way of life, and at some point the United States had to burn the evil out of each of them.  But other than that...
The Mormons aren't racist anymore.  They used to be, in that blacks were permitted to join their Chruch but not be Church leaders of any kind.  But then the Federal Government threatened to revoke their tax-exempt status.  In an incredible coincidence, the Lord spoke to the Church Elders at that time and told them that black people were no longer a cursed race and it was okay to admit black (men) into the Aaronic Priesthood.  So see, not racist. :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 01:36:23 PM
:D

I sometimes get a little defensive about the Mormons because, while I'm not one and don't hold any particular love for them, they get beaten up on Languish mercilessly whenever they come up.  I think that stems from Spellus's irrational, frothing hatred for them and others just kind of followed suit.

While I do view some of their beliefs as 'wacky', I don't understand why they'd be considered any more wacky than mainstream Christians.  All of these groups believe in an invisible dude and his undead son with the power to magically turn water into wine.  Oh, and the invisible guy actually is the son... or kind of is in some ways, but not others depending on who you talk to. :wacko:

That and the Prop 8 stuff in Cali. Which considering the dangers of Martiniusim, makes them heroes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Faggotry isn't a race. :)