News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2022, 01:06:04 PM
Viper I don't know if you are trolling or you really don't know what the conservatives were doing.  From Candice Bergen's own parliamentary page.

https://candicebergen.ca/bergen-supports-canadian-truckers/

I wonder how much work Bergen is putting into things like:
QuoteAlberta-based trucker Lovepreet Singh, who missed a week of work due to the Coutts blockade, says the anti-vaccine mandate movement carries no resonance for him and that concerns such as labour conditions and wage theft are much more central but attract little attention.

crazy canuck

Why bother with those issues when she has white nationalists to pander to.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2022, 12:44:43 PM
Just in case there was any doubt about what the convoy protest was about:
"That's when another guy, he came out of his truck and he was, like, being racist. He was saying, 'Go back to your truck, go back to India,"' recalled Singh, a 28-year-old driver from Edmonton.[/b]

C'mon.  Be serious here.  These kind of incidients happen all the time, all more so since the beginning of the pandemic.  There are even videos totally unrelated to this protest about such kind of racism.

You'll have to do better than that to convince me of a vast right-wing conspiracy.  :roll:

Since it's there, it shouldn't be too hard to find this evidence of their avowed purpose to violently overthrow the government of Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Viper I don't know if you are trolling or you really don't know what the conservatives were doing.  From Candice Bergen's own parliamentary page.

I'm missing the part about the violent overthrow of our democratically elected government.  Where is it on this page?

All I see is a politican opposed to vaccine mandates.  And I totally disagree with her stance.
Being opposed to a vaccine mandate may make you a moron, but it does not make you a fascist intent on violently overthrowing the government.  That's what sedition is.  It's the American Patriots Rebels* revolting against the British.  I've seen and heard rumours of violent truckers, yet, I haven't seen anyone attacking a police officer with a M-16.  Or a C-7.  Or an AR-15.  Or any gun.  I haven't seen images like the Capital Riot either.

Arrests?  Sure.  But how many were charged with sedition?  With a violent crime?  I have yet to see this. 

*It's a Canadian thread, after all ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Apparently, Jean Charest will soon announce his candidacy to CPC leadership.

Ain't voting for that guy.  Ain't voting for Poilièvre either.  Not much options left for me at the Federal level.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2022, 02:12:31 PM
C'mon.  Be serious here.  These kind of incidients happen all the time, all more so since the beginning of the pandemic.  There are even videos totally unrelated to this protest about such kind of racism.

The point is not the racism, the point is that most truckers did not feel represented by the convoy. The racism is just shit topping on a shit cake.

QuoteYou'll have to do better than that to convince me of a vast right-wing conspiracy.  :roll:

I'm never going to convince you of anything. As you yourself said, we agree on two things so far in the roughly 20 years we've been talking on languish and elsewhere. And the only one I'm aware of is one where I've said "I agree with you on this point."

So yeah, I'm not playing the game of trying to convince you of anything. I can't even convince you that I haven't called you a racist, in spite of not having you called you a racist.

QuoteSince it's there, it shouldn't be too hard to find this evidence of their avowed purpose to violently overthrow the government of Canada.

Here you go: https://canada-unity.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Combined-MOU-Dec03.pdf? (it's in French too :) ).

In it the group Canada Unity - one of the organizing groups of the convoy, claiming to have several 100,000s of thousands of signitures on this document:

1) Proclaim themselves the representatives of the people of Canada (rather than Parliament).

2) Wants to, in conjuction with the Governor General and the Speaker of the Senate, instruct and direct public servants, municipal, provincial, and federal agencies and governments to take a range of actions related to core government policy functions.

3) Clearly state that the convoy and occupation of Ottawa (which they call "Operation Bear Hug") was intended to force this change, and would continue until their demands were met. And yes, what "the convoy" inflicted on the citizens of Ottawa is violence, in my view.

Now, they've since rescinded this "Memorandum of Understanding", but it does not change the fact that it was their widely proclaimed purpose when organizing and initiating the convoy.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2022, 02:58:55 PM

Ain't voting for that guy.  Ain't voting for Poilièvre either.  Not much options left for me at the Federal level.

Blank?  ;)
To rent

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2022, 03:07:17 PM
The point is not the racism, the point is that most truckers did not feel represented by the convoy.
We've known that since the beginning, as 90% of the truckers were on the road, working to bring us the goods we need.

QuoteThe racism is just shit topping on a shit cake.
I believe we've already agreed this was a diverse coallition of people opposed to sanitary measure.  That there is racism among the group isn't really a surprise, since they're diversified Canadians and we do have racism in this country, unfortunately.

QuoteSo yeah, I'm not playing the game of trying to convince you of anything. I can't even convince you that I haven't called you a racist, in spite of not having you called you a racist.
I can't search this damn forum.  Every search I try on the same word gives me different result.
Here you go: https://canada-unity.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Combined-MOU-Dec03.pdf? (it's in French too :) ).

In it the group Canada Unity - one of the organizing groups of the convoy, claiming to have several 100,000s of thousands of signitures on this document:

1) Proclaim themselves the representatives of the people of Canada (rather than Parliament).

2) Wants to, in conjuction with the Governor General and the Speaker of the Senate, instruct and direct public servants, municipal, provincial, and federal agencies and governments to take a range of actions related to core government policy functions.

3) Clearly state that the convoy and occupation of Ottawa (which they call "Operation Bear Hug") was intended to force this change, and would continue until their demands were met. And yes, what "the convoy" inflicted on the citizens of Ottawa is violence, in my view.
Please highlight the parts you quote in the document.  I can only see #3 in the list, the rest is mainly aimed at politicians ("The government" = The executive branch, imho).

It's still silly.  Most likely illegal.  But it's not an armed insurection.  Not even an act of sedition.  Some document written by non lawyers, sure.  Some document written by morons, yes.

Now, they've since rescinded this "Memorandum of Understanding", but it does not change the fact that it was their widely proclaimed purpose when organizing and initiating the convoy.
Sure, all they say is they'll give oders to the executive to rescind all covid restrictions, including the vaccine passport.

We're still a long shot from the armed insurection everyone's been talking about.  It's still a protest/occupation like others, with their own manifest.

there is nothing in this that can be construed as fascist, or specifically Ku-Klux-Klan like, since you keep calling them this.

That they assemble a protest to change the politicians mind on something that bothers them, well, isn't that what all protests are about?

As I said earlier, if this is sedition or armed rebellion, than we have a lots of seditious individuals in Canada.

viper37

Quote from: Rex Francorum on February 22, 2022, 03:07:30 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2022, 02:58:55 PM

Blank?  ;)
That's likely what will happen.

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2022, 03:57:54 PM
I can't search this damn forum.  Every search I try on the same word gives me different result.

It only gives you 20 (or is it 30) results for your criteria. I searched a whole bunch around the period you claimed it happened (for a whole year leading up to the election, in fact) and there were no hits.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2022, 02:17:15 PM

I'm missing the part about the violent overthrow of our democratically elected government.  Where is it on this page?

All I see is a politican opposed to vaccine mandates.  And I totally disagree with her stance.
Being opposed to a vaccine mandate may make you a moron, but it does not make you a fascist intent on violently overthrowing the government.  That's what sedition is.  It's the American Patriots[/] Rebels* revolting against the British.  I've seen and heard rumours of violent truckers, yet, I haven't seen anyone attacking a police officer with a M-16.  Or a C-7.  Or an AR-15.  Or any gun.  I haven't seen images like the Capital Riot either.

Arrests?  Sure.  But how many were charged with sedition?  With a violent crime?  I have yet to see this. 

*It's a Canadian thread, after all ;)

Its 2+2 - the Truckers called for the overthrow of the government and the Conservatives gave full throated support to the Truckers.

You are being willfully blind.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 22, 2022, 04:00:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2022, 03:57:54 PM

It only gives you 20 (or is it 30) results for your criteria. I searched a whole bunch around the period you claimed it happened (for a whole year leading up to the election, in fact) and there were no hits.
I tried google and can't even find the other times we discussed this.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2022, 04:22:16 PM
You are being willfully blind.
No.

But if the courts judge them guilty of sedition, I will retract my statements.

Zoupa

In a confounding move for viper, who will soon find a way to spin it, Mini Pinochet aka Justin Trudeau gave up his dictatorial power grab and revoked the emergency powers he so brazenly took a few weeks ago.

Dictators around the world looked on in shock and dismay.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on February 23, 2022, 04:26:13 PM
In a confounding move for viper, who will soon find a way to spin it, Mini Pinochet aka Justin Trudeau gave up his dictatorial power grab and revoked the emergency powers he so brazenly took a few weeks ago.

Dictators around the world looked on in shock and dismay.
The Senate was going to rebuke him.  Seems they're not all worthless.

I'm still waiting with impatience the day a Conservative government does the same after a protest. :)