And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2017, 08:46:02 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2017, 08:26:13 AM
Fortunately, among the skills of our PM, apologizing is his long suit.  ;)

Well, he is Canadian.  :huh:

And a Canadian is saying he apologizes too much. let that sink in :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2017, 05:30:57 PM
Alberta just declared secession :P

"We may live in British Columbia, Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia or Newfoundland and Labrador. But we embrace that diversity while knowing in our hearts that we are all Canadians."

It's not just that he left out one of thirteen jurisdictions in Canada.  It's that it plays into a decades-old narrative that the Liberal Party, and the Trudeau's in particular, are opposed to Alberta (and that Alberta is opposed to the Liberals and Trudeaus).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2017, 09:43:43 AM
It's not just that he left out one of thirteen jurisdictions in Canada.  It's that it plays into a decades-old narrative that the Liberal Party, and the Trudeau's in particular, are opposed to Alberta (and that Alberta is opposed to the Liberals and Trudeaus).
you know, sometimes, I'd wish the Trudeau forgot about Quebec too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Link

Proud Canadians defend their British colonial heritage, get suspended from their army duties.

The two groups exchanged words. The man who was carrying the flag said, "You're disrespecting General Cornwallis.
Take that you filthy indian!  Never disrespect the man who invaded your lands and offered a bounty for your scalps, you ungrateful lot! :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

It's dumb, but the victims families are trying to block the payment so that It gets paid out to the wrongful death suit they won against him.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Something had to be done. What the Harper government did to him is inexcusable.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2017, 01:47:19 PM

I assume this is a "woosh".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: HVC on July 07, 2017, 01:36:24 PM
It's dumb, but the victims families are trying to block the payment so that It gets paid out to the wrongful death suit they won against him.

Well according to that article it appears the payment was rushed to Khadr before it could be blocked.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2017, 01:47:19 PM
Harper government did nothing to him.
The Liberal government however, they sent agents to interrogate him, they refused to take him back or provide assistance.

Why do you think 2 different gvt arrived at the same conclusion concerning this guy and never wanted him here? :)

and imho, people who never lived in Canada shouldn't get to keep their citizenship and all the protection it entails.  He joined AQ voluntarily, in case you forgot. 

Heres and op ed on the subject:
http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-shady-business-of-paying-omar-khadr/

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2017, 12:00:51 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 07, 2017, 01:35:04 PM
So - any reaction to the  $10.5 million settlement in the Khadr case?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cabinet-explain-omar-khadr-settlement-1.4194467

I thought this was a reasonable analysis of the situation: http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/07/07/opinion/what-if-omar-khadr-isnt-guilty
let's see.

his mother thought canadian values were bad for her family, so she brought him away to receive a good education.  the father was Bin Laden's driver and he was not often seen with his family.

his family sent him to train with AQ where he was making bombs for a terrorist organization.  He was in the firefight against the NATO soldiers and willingly took part in combat operations.

Had his guy came back here, he would have certainly committed terrorist actions, indoctrinated as he was, and still under the influence of his pro-terrrorist family.

Was he the one who threw that grenade?  that's not important, really.  What's important is that we must maintain constant watch on someone who hates Canada, America and the Western World and everything we represent.  He took up arms against soldiers of the coallition, he built bombs used to kill civilians.  But his mother gave birth to him while she was here, only to leaver right after, so we're stuck with him.  Just like Mono.  The day things go bad in HK, we'll have to deploy resources to help someone who doesn't even want to live here.

viper37

A nice story, in French, about some difficulties veterans from the 22nd had after their tour in Afghanistan was complete.
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2017/07/08/dix-ans-apres-kandahar-des-sacrifices-qui-ne-soublient-pas

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2017, 02:52:49 PM

and imho, people who never lived in Canada shouldn't get to keep their citizenship and all the protection it entails. 

So if I had a child, he can't be a citizen?   :cry: