News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2017, 08:03:19 AM
When I was in high school, we had a 3 day strike because some girl got expelled for having blue hair.

Nowdays that school (where my kids will go) has a strict uniform code & I agree with it.

Good students and workers never participate in strikes. 

Grey Fox

To compensate, I buy Pokemon games.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 08, 2017, 08:03:19 AM
When I was in high school, we had a 3 day strike because some girl got expelled for having blue hair.

Nowdays that school (where my kids will go) has a strict uniform code & I agree with it.
there's a difference between having clear rules and making rules as you go.
The rules are clear to begin with, you agree or you don't.  If you don't, you go elsewhere.
When a school or teacher is making rules as it goes, that's just unfair, and it's reason enough to protest.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2017, 09:15:14 PM
Morneau warns Senate not to change the budget bill

ah, Liberals and democracy :)  only when it suits them.

They would argue that the senate is undemocratic.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

viper37

Quote from: Ancient Demon on June 16, 2017, 11:21:02 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2017, 09:15:14 PM
Morneau warns Senate not to change the budget bill

ah, Liberals and democracy :)  only when it suits them.

They would argue that the senate is undemocratic.
Well, all it takes is a little change to the Constitution.  But I believe the Liberals shut that door.  Three times over.

Anyway, it is totally democratic, since it's part of the rules under wich the Liberals agreed to govern.  And the Senators are named by the PM (forgot the exact term), who is elected as an MP.

crazy canuck

I think the piece you are missing Viper is that this kind of interaction between the Senate and Parliament is what is contemplated in our Constitution.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2017, 10:25:36 AM
I think the piece you are missing Viper is that this kind of interaction between the Senate and Parliament is what is contemplated in our Constitution.
that the Senate does not have a say on any bill it receives and only serves to rubber stamps them?  I don't think so.  I don't think either it lacks the power to seperate elements from an omnibus bill.

Btw, it's kinda silent on the outrage front, don't you think?  I mean, when the Cons did it, it was a frontal attack on democracy...

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2017, 01:01:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2017, 10:25:36 AM
that the Senate does not have a say on any bill it receives and only serves to rubber stamps them?  I don't think so.  I don't think either it lacks the power to seperate elements from an omnibus bill.

Btw, it's kinda silent on the outrage front, don't you think?  I mean, when the Cons did it, it was a frontal attack on democracy...

The other way around.  The Senate has raised concerns.  The government is responding.  We will hear next what the Senate will do.  I am not sure why you think the Senate is acting like a rubber stamp.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck link=topic=4648.msg1088648#msg1088648I am not sure why you think the Senate is acting like a rubber stamp.

it is not and it should not.

however, it is clear the Liberal govt wants it too, and I know they will do everything they can to threaten/coerce individual senators in backing off.  there's a reason why Pratte changed his mind and suddenly voted against his own motion.

viper37

And as predicted, the Senate folded.

viper37

Pilot schooled after touching down next to PEI Tim Hortons

A coast guard helicopter pilot has been schooled on the appropriate use of the aircraft after touching down in a field near a Tim Hortons in P.E.I. for a coffee fix.

Canadians... :roll:

But maybe we should invest a little more in our armed forces and coast guard units so they can afford a decent coffee machine on board their ships?

As an aside, this would have made a really great ad for Tim :D

viper37

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2017, 08:26:13 AM
Fortunately, among the skills of our PM, apologizing is his long suit.  ;)

Well, he is Canadian.  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.