News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on December 15, 2016, 03:04:21 PM
Is Trudeau raising taxes on small business owners? What's the story there viper?
That tax rate was supposed to go down to 8% by 2017-2018.  Now it will be 10,5%.  Trudeau has said during the campaign that Incorporation was a trick used by the wealthy do avoid paying their taxes.  That's how he considers us: cows to be milked.

They still have plans to have the tax rate revert to the general one for corporations with less than 3-5 employees.  Details are to come, but we were warned to plan in consequence.

His government did, theoritically, eliminate loopholes that some corporations could use.  He just "forgot" the ones that are accessible to the rich people, those who can afford to set up a family trust, for instance.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Ah okay. So not a raise, but rescinding an expected decrease - which still sucks, of course.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 20, 2016, 11:36:26 AM
I don't think that old school Liberal brand of federalism is going to work very well in the short term and likely not in the long term.
It will work because the Federal government has all the power.  If they want to cut funding, they cut funding, that is it.  They'll find the weak spot, strongarm him/her into an agreement, sign a sweet deal on something else, raise the seperatist menace if need be, but in the end, they will get their way.

Just as I have told you during the campaign. Endless fights between the provinces and federals.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2016, 01:30:31 PM
Is Trudeau raising taxes on small business owners? What's the story there viper?
That tax rate was supposed to go down to 8% by 2017-2018.  Now it will be 10,5%.  Trudeau has said during the campaign that Incorporation was a trick used by the wealthy do avoid paying their taxes.  That's how he considers us: cows to be milked.

but, it is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2016, 02:09:16 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2016, 01:30:31 PM

but, it is.
Don't worry, you job and wage are safe, so long as people like me are paying for video game makers to be here.

Valmy

Rise up and seize the means of video game production GF!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I haven't worked at ubisoft for 9 years.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2016, 03:47:01 PM
Don't worry, you job and wage are safe, so long as people like me are paying for video game makers to be here.

And Quebec's 'way of life' is safe, so long as other provinces keep funding it and we keep asking for free money.

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on December 20, 2016, 04:07:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2016, 03:47:01 PM

And Quebec's 'way of life' is safe, so long as other provinces keep funding it and we keep asking for free money.
That's why I want things to change in Quebec.
If the Feds were to tax less and let the provinces raise their own money for healthcare&education, we wouldn't have this silly debate tying all 11 Health Ministers + Finance ministers of all provinces&Canada together for months.  They could use their productive time to do something, well, productive.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2016, 04:02:19 PM
All video game makers receive generous grant.  They cost us about as much as we gain.  Don't you work for EA now?

Jacob

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2016, 04:12:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2016, 04:02:19 PM
All video game makers receive generous grant.  They cost us about as much as we gain.

Hey Viper, that may not be relevant to Grey Fox. I think he hasn't worked at Ubisoft for quite some time. Maybe we should ask him?

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on December 20, 2016, 04:15:54 PM
Hey Viper, that may not be relevant to Grey Fox. I think he hasn't worked at Ubisoft for quite some time. Maybe we should ask him?
and before he agrees with any sillyness of the left, maybe he should try running his own company and see how well it works as tax shelter?  Most people are surprised about the truth.

Am I implying programmers have it easy?  Am I implying that about that any kind of work out there?  I don't think so.

If the government doesn't want doctors, lawyers& such to incorporate themselves as a way to reduce their taxes, than the goal of any legislation should be to prevent these categories of people from using incorporation rather than implying that everyone is a cheater.  I don't know, maybe it would be... a sensible policy?  But what do I know.  I'm a right winger.  I know nothing, of course.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 20, 2016, 01:31:42 PM
Ah okay. So not a raise, but rescinding an expected decrease - which still sucks, of course.

No, I explained in an earlier post some of the changes that have already been made.  There are a lot of what used to be considered small business corporations that are going to pay a lot more in tax for the 2016 tax year.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 20, 2016, 11:05:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 20, 2016, 01:31:42 PM

No, I explained in an earlier post some of the changes that have already been made.  There are a lot of what used to be considered small business corporations that are going to pay a lot more in tax for the 2016 tax year.
Liberal campaign promise:
QuoteLiberal

The Liberals would retain the tax break from 11% to 9% for small businesses, but Justin Trudeau has some concerns about implementation, saying he wants to make sure that it doesn't primarily benefit the wealthy who may use small businesses to reduce their tax burden.

While in effect, it will be 10,5% until the next budget where it will likely revert back to 11%.  We will know for sure early 2017.

Grey Fox

I work for a weapons manufacturer, for 9 years*.

*Actually just 4 years before that we were own by someone else.