News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Meh, if he was paying more attention to the anniversary you'd probably accuse him of reveling in the subjugation and exploitation of your people :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2017, 02:12:09 AM
Meh, if he was paying more attention to the anniversary you'd probably accuse him of reveling in the subjugation and exploitation of your people :P
Worshipping Canada is one thing.  For better or for worst, it's still our country.  Worshipping the British Empire and all its evils is an entirely different one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Ahmed Hussen seems a decent pick as the new immigration minister.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 11, 2017, 10:52:12 AM
Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2017, 02:12:09 AM
Worshipping Canada is one thing.  For better or for worst, it's still our country.  Worshipping the British Empire and all its evils is an entirely different one.

But the entire point of Canada was to be loyal to the British Empire when evil forces to the south illegally rebelled against it. So how can that be entirely different? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 11, 2017, 02:04:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2017, 01:54:28 PM
So how can that be entirely different? :hmm:
evolution? :)

Well the British Empire has evolved from there as well. Now it is just a few random islands and its evils are mostly the normal sorts of bungling 21st century western nation evils :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2017, 02:06:44 PM
Well the British Empire has evolved from there as well. Now it is just a few random islands and its evils are mostly the normal sorts of bungling 21st century western nation evils :P

I don't care, it's not my country.  If a Canadian was to worship the US the way some worship the British Empire, he'd be shunned in public.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 11, 2017, 03:46:09 PM

I don't care, it's not my country.  If a Canadian was to worship the US the way some worship the British Empire, he'd be shunned in public.

Who exactly "worships" the British Empire? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2017, 03:52:04 PM

:blush:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Monarchists, for one.  And those among the Conservatives who cheered to the idea of bringing back "Royal" in the name of our air force and navy, instead of simply "Canadian".  That would have been a step toward the future.

Jacob

Just read a piece that we should prepare for an onslaught of republicans once Queen Elizabeth passes away. Apparently more than 50% of Canadians are in favour of ending monarchy then.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 11, 2017, 04:40:20 PM

Monarchists, for one.  And those among the Conservatives who cheered to the idea of bringing back "Royal" in the name of our air force and navy, instead of simply "Canadian".  That would have been a step toward the future.

I adore the monarchy, and fully supported the return of the RCAF and RCN names.  But that has nothing to do with the British Empire - it's recognizing the Queen in her role of Queen of Canada.  And what's more - none of that involves any degree of "worship".

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2017, 04:42:47 PM
Just read a piece that we should prepare for an onslaught of republicans once Queen Elizabeth passes away. Apparently more than 50% of Canadians are in favour of ending monarchy then.

There's no doubt that Liz is more personally popular than Charles is, and if there's going to be a moment for Republicanism in this country, that's it.

That being said... the whole Royal Mourning period, followed by Coronation, can take over a year.  It will have Charles (and William, and family) in the public eye.  It has a great chance of greatly increasing Charles esteem in the public eye.  Plus it seems churlish to push for a republic in the immediate days weeks after her passing, and by the time it does seem appropriate the moment may have passed.