News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Mild mannered?  Fuck you - I'll cut your face!

I definitely agree - Beijing would be a lot more exciting.  But what I said was that living in Paris or Berlin would have more appeal - not so much for someone like me, but for someone like 66 year old former RBC Chief Economist John McCallum, who like Dion also studied in Paris.

EDIT: Sorry hit "edit" instead of "reply :( - should be back to normal now - Jacob
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Fuck Dionl. His poor grasp of English has always been a disgrace.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on January 10, 2017, 02:12:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 09, 2017, 03:34:43 PM
Justin accepts gift from a billionaire religious leader to spend time on his private island instead of celebrating the beginning of the Confederation 150th birthday.

It really is good times for morons.

We're a long way from July 1st dude. Unless you suggesting he should be grounded for an entire year.
150th Anniversary of Canada's foundation.  The government has invested a lot of money to launch the celebreations on January 1st.  The least he could have done is wait on the second day of January to leave the country. At his own expenses.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2017, 02:24:59 PM

EDIT: Sorry hit "edit" instead of "reply :( - should be back to normal now - Jacob

Well now I'm curious what your reply was going to be...

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2017, 03:53:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2017, 02:24:59 PM

Well now I'm curious what your reply was going to be...

It was in two parts:

1)  :lol: You so street! (to the face cutting)

2) Beijing may still be more appealing to a 66 year old former Chief Economist than Paris of Berlin - or vice versa - depending on personal priorities and interests.

Josephus

The China position is a pretty important one.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2017, 03:59:19 PM
1)  :lol: You so street! (to the face cutting)

It was meant to be a Garbon homage. -_-

No doubt that the China position is important.  It's so important in fact that (quickly googling) the last two appointments have been Foreign Service lifers.

Typically there are two kinds of Ambassadors.  First are two generally friendly and pleasant countries.  These kinds of appointments are often given out as a kind of patronage position.  The other kind are to more difficult locations, and those attract career DFAIT public servants.  And that's typically what China gets.

It's an odd appointment for someone with no specific history in foreign affairs of Chinese/far eastern issues.

Jacob

The shift from career diplomat to political appointment does seem to signal a shift in focus - apparently related to the exploratory trade talks we're launching with China.

I thought this was a decent summary of many of the dynamics in play (with a bit of fluff as well): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mccallum-to-play-key-role-as-canada-seeks-to-expand-trade-with-china/article33568091/

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 10, 2017, 05:07:36 PM
Looks like Dion is quitting.

Interesting.  So he's not necessarily happy about being removed as foreign minister, and isn't sure if he'll accept the ambassadorship position.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/stephane-dion-quits-political-life-after-being-dumped-from-trudeau-cabinet

Josephus

Strange. You'd think Justin would have discussed it with him prior to making announcement. wonder if there's some rift brewing between the two
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2017, 04:42:02 PM
It was meant to be a Garbon homage. -_-

It's a Seinfeld reference, isn't it?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2017, 05:15:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 10, 2017, 05:07:36 PM
Looks like Dion is quitting.

Interesting.  So he's not necessarily happy about being removed as foreign minister, and isn't sure if he'll accept the ambassadorship position.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/stephane-dion-quits-political-life-after-being-dumped-from-trudeau-cabinet

You can't be ambassador & an MP at the sametime.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: viper37 on January 10, 2017, 03:44:22 PM
Justin accepts gift from a billionaire religious leader to spend time on his private island instead of celebrating the beginning of the Confederation 150th birthday.

We're a long way from July 1st dude. Unless you suggesting he should be grounded for an entire year.
150th Anniversary of Canada's foundation.  The government has invested a lot of money to launch the celebreations on January 1st.  The least he could have done is wait on the second day of January to leave the country. At his own expenses.

One will say I nitpick but I do not... it is not the 150th anniversary of Canada but of the Confederation. Canada exists for more than 400 years.
To rent

viper37

Quote from: Rex Francorum on January 11, 2017, 12:29:11 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 10, 2017, 03:44:22 PM

One will say I nitpick but I do not... it is not the 150th anniversary of Canada but of the Confederation. Canada exists for more than 400 years.
yes, you are nitpicking :P  But you are right, I should have said the Confederation (I said it the first time though!)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.