News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I do but nothing in politics last that long nowadays.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2017, 10:17:38 AM
The Liberals are firmly in power for a couple of decades.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on January 07, 2017, 04:56:40 PM

God willing
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 07, 2017, 08:28:45 PM

God willing

Has nothing to do with God.  It will have a lot to do with whether the Conservatives go with Trump light or not.  I suspect they will and you can then thank God for making the Conservatives do the right thing.

Please tell me someone appreciated that turn of phrase.  :D

Valmy

I was so looking forward to making fun of the goofiness that is Justin Trudeau but then my country screwed up far worse. Now I cannot even enjoy it anymore. Sad times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Justin accepts gift from a billionaire religious leader to spend time on his private island instead of celebrating the beginning of the Confederation 150th birthday.

It really is good times for morons.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on January 09, 2017, 06:50:45 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 09, 2017, 03:34:43 PM

Glad you're enjoying yourself :hug:
do I look like I am enjoying myself?  Everywhere in the western world, people make stupid political decisions, and we have to pick up the pieces.

Barrister

Cabinet shuffle time!

Veteran ministers Stephane Dion and John McCallum are out of politics altogetehr - being appointed as ambassadors to the EU and China respectively.

Chrystia Freeland is in as foriegn minister.  Maryam Monsef, who made a hash of electoral reform, is moved to status of women.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/liberal-government-cabinet-shuffle-2017-1.3928723
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

What do you think about the Dion and McCallum moves?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 10, 2017, 12:46:52 PM
What do you think about the Dion and McCallum moves?

Those were the most curious (and why I listed them first).  They're two of the most most experienced ministers in Trudeau's cabinet (probably only Ralph Gooddale has more).  I generally respected Dion as a minister (although he was a spectacularly bad leader), and though not a huge McCallum fan he did have an impressive resume.

Ambassador to Germany/EU (I wonder what other EU nations think of that combination) is certainly important, but maybe is offered as a reward to Dion for long service - he has/had French citizenship, lived in Paris in his younger years.  Ambassador to China though - that's a prickly relationship, and living in Beijing doesn't have the same appeal as Paris or Berlin.

News reports mostly focus on Freeland, and that it's focused on trying to keep good relationships with a Trump administration that seems notoriously thin-skinned.  She did ultimately rescue EU-Canada free trade deal, so I hope she's up for this job.

But really, especially without McCallum and Dion, Trudeau's cabinet seems as inexperieced as, well, Trudeau himself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Never liked the Pit Bull, so Germany just isn't far enough.  Siberia or Antartica would have been better.

saskganesh

Quote from: viper37 on January 09, 2017, 03:34:43 PM
Justin accepts gift from a billionaire religious leader to spend time on his private island instead of celebrating the beginning of the Confederation 150th birthday.

We're a long way from July 1st dude. Unless you suggesting he should be grounded for an entire year.
humans were created in their own image

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2017, 01:55:50 PM
Ambassador to China though - that's a prickly relationship, and living in Beijing doesn't have the same appeal as Paris or Berlin.

To you perhaps.

Beijing is a pretty dynamic city in its own right. I rather expect that there will be more high profile decisions, relationships etc involved in the posting to Beijing compared to one to Paris or Berlin.

To a mild-mannered conservative Europhile, Berlin or Paris may seem more exciting but there are plenty of people for whom Beijing would be more exciting :)

The pollution will suck, though.