News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So assault rifle ban. Those of us not currently in Alberta agree this is good thing?

;)

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Camerus

Well, I've been living in Edmonton for the past 5.5 years but was born and raised in Toronto so am not, in Neil's parlance, an ethnic Albertan.

I support the ban in theory but it seems to have been quickly put together and, as Beeb pointed out, somewhat arbitrary.

Anecdotally I also must admit there's just a big cultural difference between gun ownership here vs in Toronto. In Toronto I never knew even one person who owned a gun or even mentioned firing one before (I never have for example). That's simply not the case in Edmonton  - gun ownership and hunting have come up a number of times in my conversations with colleagues and guns are visible for sale hete in a way they aren't in Toronto.  Thus any ban on certain types of guns will definitely play differently here, particularly where there appears to have been little or no consultation or where the application is perhaps poorly thought through.

I still support a similar idea in theory, but I'd rather see more time spent on getting it done right.

Zoupa

Quote from: Josephus on May 02, 2020, 07:19:04 AM
So assault rifle ban. Those of us not currently in Alberta agree this is good thing?

;)

Yep.

Ancient Demon

;)

No, I live in Manitoba.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Josephus

Quote from: Ancient Demon on May 02, 2020, 01:00:18 PM

;)

No, I live in Manitoba.

aka the "poor Alberta"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

I thought that was Saskatchewan?

I like the intent but, assuming BBs comments are accurate, I don't like the wording of he law. If models are outlawed manufacturers will just change model names.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on May 03, 2020, 07:24:44 AM
I thought that was Saskatchewan?

I like the intent but, assuming BBs comments are accurate, I don't like the wording of he law. If models are outlawed manufacturers will just change model names.

Maybe. And I also see BB's point, but I doubt manufacturers will change model names for the tiny Canadian illegal market
Civis Romanus Sum

viper37

;)

It's pointless and gives a false sense of security to the population.

How many crimes have been commited, over the last 10 years, by legal owners of these weapons?  0.

The problem comes from illegal guns smuggled from the US.  Secure the border, give more than a slap on the wrist to offenders, keep them in jail instead of releasing them after a couple of months for good behaviour and it will be less of a problem.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

;)

Yes, a very good thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2020, 06:32:34 PM
And now they've made thousands and thousands of legal gun owners criminals if they don't turn in their guns.

So what? That happens with all kind of new laws.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2020, 07:54:32 AM
And now they've made thousands and thousands of legal gun owners criminals if they don't turn in their guns.

Like when?

Give me an example of a situation where possession of an item that has been legal for decades has suddenly been made illegal.

You'll probably be able to come up with an example, but then you'll realize that it's actually exceedingly rare.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2020, 10:32:40 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2020, 07:54:32 AM

Like when?

Give me an example of a situation where possession of an item that has been legal for decades has suddenly been made illegal.

You'll probably be able to come up with an example, but then you'll realize that it's actually exceedingly rare.

Yes, rare but not unprecedented.  Laws change & you gotta respect them. It sucks when it's not in your favor but that's not a reason to not act. Especially when it comes to gun control.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2020, 10:49:58 AM
Yes, rare but not unprecedented.  Laws change & you gotta respect them. It sucks when it's not in your favor but that's not a reason to not act. Especially when it comes to gun control.

So you've gone from it happens "with all kind of new laws" to "rare but not unprecedented".

What is the reason to act here?  There's been no suggestion the Nova Scotia shooter legally purchased his firearms.  There's no suggestion that he wouldn't have been just as deadly if he had used different firearms that aren't being made illegal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

We've criminalized drugs that used to be legal for the common good, haven't we? cocaine and the like wasn't always illegal, hell it was over the counter medication lol. is this much different? sure it was long ago, but it still happened. We've even criminalized firearms in the past which used to be legal. It happens. And we're not the only country that does so. Australia did it in 1996.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2020, 10:57:54 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2020, 10:49:58 AM

So you've gone from it happens "with all kind of new laws" to "rare but not unprecedented".

What is the reason to act here?  There's been no suggestion the Nova Scotia shooter legally purchased his firearms.  There's no suggestion that he wouldn't have been just as deadly if he had used different firearms that aren't being made illegal.

The answer then is to ban all firearms