Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2020, 04:56:28 PM
Students? Is that what you call your version of our debt slaves?

:lol:

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 27, 2020, 05:32:55 PM
We should close your town, give it back to the forest. Pretentious morons.
Already suggested by one of yours, once more. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2020, 06:52:29 PM
Exactly how Federalism is supposed to work, I might add.
Without any federal government intervention :)

One more case for decentralisation of powers, one more case to get rid of the Liberal Party.  Forever.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on April 28, 2020, 01:15:37 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2020, 04:01:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2020, 01:15:15 PM
What's the response in Quebec to the musings about reopening and relying on herd immunity?
Half are panicking, half are hoping the restrictions are gradually lifted.

The government will announce its plan tomorrow, we'll see then. The hints we have is it will be gradual, and in accordance with public health.  School won't be mandatory for the rest of the year, kindergardens will gradually re-open.

I assume most regions will remain on lockdown, but people in it will be able to freely move&gather since there is no communal transmission.

Montreal is another matter.  Fro all I care, they could put the entire island under indefinite quarantines.  Pretentious morons.

What do you mean there is no communal transmission?
transmission communautaire?  C'est pas ça l'expression anglaise?

No cases of unidentified origin have been reported in my area.  All cases are people who travelled and their immediate family.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2020, 04:56:28 PM
Students? Is that what you call your version of our debt slaves?
Although they vary from province to province, tuition fees are pretty low compared to most US universities.  No one here is asking 20 000$US per term for a bachelor degree.

I believe the highest fees are around 5-6000$ per semester, in Nova Scotia, bachelor programs at least.  Some specialized programs in McGill University may be higher.

A small part is a loan (roughly, 2000$/semester for those who qualify, in Quebec - it's been a while and last time I had to pay the full fee myself so I may be out of touch...), the most part is student grants.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on April 28, 2020, 05:05:19 PM
50% of cases are asymptomatic. It's not like the whole population got tested...

Those numbers are bound to move.
No, the whole population was not tested.  However, no matter if it's 50 or 80 or 90% asymptomatic, there is a small proportion that is bound to end up in the hospital.  If the numbers of declared cases is stable and the number of people in hospitals and intensive care is declining, there is either a lot of sick people who end up staying at home without ever getting tested or there is no communal transmission (again, if that is the correct expression).

It's not my field, I recognize it, but statiscally, it's impossible that some areas would have 100% asymptomatic cases after the first few weeks of the pandemics.  If no new cases are declared, if hospitalizations go down, it means there is no more communal transmission, I believe.

The risk is still there, we're not immune, people will travel in&out of our regions, but the risk remains pretty low, compared to hot zones like Montreal&surroundings.

We knew from the beginning the goal was to flatten the curve, and the way I understood it, it meant keeping it manageable for our hospitals so they don't get swamp.  I read a disturbing report about Maisonneuve-Rosemont, but aside that, it seems to be very well under control.  And outside of Montreal, there aren't that many LTCs infected.

I still don't understand how the basic security advices sent and repeated by the health department haven't been followed.  Even for an untrained guy like me, it seems obvious that a nurse shouldn't be allowed in&out of a "red zone" without any protective gear, without changing and would be allowed to use public transits without changing after her/his shift.  And I will blame does who deserted their post in times of need because of their fears.  They simply shifted the burden to those who stayed.

That does not account for truly negligent cases like these fuckers at Heron's LTC, but still, that wasn't the majority.

I still don't get why people will defend a model that results in the health minister asking publicly on television for people to e-mail her directly their requests for protective gear if they aren't offered any at their place of work.  Fucking bureaucracy.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on April 29, 2020, 02:35:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 27, 2020, 05:32:55 PM
We should close your town, give it back to the forest. Pretentious morons.
Already suggested by one of yours, once more. :)

Lol, I wasn't aware of that. WTF tilted him hard?

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 29, 2020, 02:36:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2020, 06:52:29 PM
Exactly how Federalism is supposed to work, I might add.
Without any federal government intervention :)

One more case for decentralisation of powers, one more case to get rid of the Liberal Party.  Forever.

Perhaps a good reason to vote NDP.  I am not sure what the alternative would be Federally.

edit: Quebec of course has its alternative.

crazy canuck

So, everyone who can't work gets 2000, except for students, they get 1250.  Oh and they also are lazy and far less trustworthy to take work if it is available, so they have to attest to attempting to find work.  Very disappointed in the BQ on this one.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2020, 11:16:47 AM
So, everyone who can't work gets 2000, except for students, they get 1250.  Oh and they also are lazy and far less trustworthy to take work if it is available, so they have to attest to attempting to find work.  Very disappointed in the BQ on this one.

It's because Quebec's min wage coupled with a part time job makes the Student ESRB more appealing. It's a problem the BQ found a bad way to fix.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 29, 2020, 04:17:20 PM
Lol, I wasn't aware of that. WTF tilted him hard?
I have no idea.  TVA Sports forced him to apoligize, like any network would do in such situation.  There were a bunch of cheerleaders for his first message though.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2020, 04:47:53 PM
edit: Quebec of course has its alternative.
yes, it's called the Conservative Party :P :P

Josephus

So assault rifle ban. We all agree this is good thing?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 01, 2020, 04:58:22 PM
So assault rifle ban. We all agree this is good thing?

Absolutely not!

There`s no meaningful definition of an "assault rifle".  It just means a rifle that looks scary.  It isn't any more powerful, or dangerous, than any other kind of rifle.  So the Libs just named a bunch of rifles that have either notorious names, or were used in notorious crimes.

Look - legally, a "prohibited weapon" is usually defined by type.  It's a weapon of less than a certain length.  Or it is fully automatic.  Or a magazine over a certain size.  These are all objective criteria you can point to for why a weapon should be prohibited.

But what the Libs have done is now declare over a thousand types of rifles (that have been legal for sale for years and years) as prohibited.  They have to name make and model, because they can't point to any objective criteria.  And now they've made thousands and thousands of legal gun owners criminals if they don't turn in their guns.

Look, I can't make any predictions about what happens in a pandemic era.  But this will absolutely fire up the Conservative Party base like few things.

Oh yeah - and there's no indication that the guns used in the Nova Scotia shootings were legally acquired.  So this change would have done nothing to stop it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.