Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2020, 02:53:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2020, 02:51:25 PM
A year is too long for CERB.

Let's say you lose your jog right now without severance. You apply for CERB, when that runs out in July you apply for EI.

He could apply right now and almost certainly get it.

But if they discover that he had his severance they'd claw that money back on next year's taxes.

That is one of the clarifications we are waiting for. Severance is not employment income, under the income tax act it is a retiring allowance.  So is it exempt from the CERB employment income limit? Inquiring minds want to know.

In other news, good to see at least some Conservatives denouncing the idiot who claimed Tam was more loyal to China.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2020, 05:27:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2020, 02:53:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2020, 02:51:25 PM
A year is too long for CERB.

Let's say you lose your jog right now without severance. You apply for CERB, when that runs out in July you apply for EI.

He could apply right now and almost certainly get it.

But if they discover that he had his severance they'd claw that money back on next year's taxes.

That is one of the clarifications we are waiting for. Severance is not employment income, under the income tax act it is a retiring allowance.  So is it exempt from the CERB employment income limit? Inquiring minds want to know.

Let me know if you find anything out,CC
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PRC

Calgary Stampede has been cancelled, which is of course the right move, but will hurt a lot of local businesses and people who rely on it.  First time it has been cancelled since it officially began in 1912 (unofficially it began in 1886), although it came close in 2013 when intense floods hit the city two weeks before the start date and was able to open after a Herculean cleanup effort.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

What's the response in Quebec to the musings about reopening and relying on herd immunity?

The feds appear to be against it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

If provincial strategies diverge enough there will be calls to impose interprovincial travel restrictions.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2020, 01:15:15 PM
What's the response in Quebec to the musings about reopening and relying on herd immunity?
Half are panicking, half are hoping the restrictions are gradually lifted.

The government will announce its plan tomorrow, we'll see then. The hints we have is it will be gradual, and in accordance with public health.  School won't be mandatory for the rest of the year, kindergardens will gradually re-open.

I assume most regions will remain on lockdown, but people in it will be able to freely move&gather since there is no communal transmission.

Montreal is another matter.  Fro all I care, they could put the entire island under indefinite quarantines.  Pretentious morons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

We should close your town, give it back to the forest. Pretentious morons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

The BC PHO was asked at a press conference this afternoon whether she was surprised by the Quebec announcement.  She responded that she wasn't and that she was in close contact with her Quebec counterparts and that they were all working together to find the best approaches for their respective regions.  Exactly how Federalism is supposed to work, I might add.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2020, 04:01:42 PM

The government will announce its plan tomorrow, we'll see then. The hints we have is it will be gradual, and in accordance with public health.  School won't be mandatory for the rest of the year, kindergardens will gradually re-open.

I assume most regions will remain on lockdown, but people in it will be able to freely move&gather since there is no communal transmission.

Montreal is another matter.  Fro all I care, they could put the entire island under indefinite quarantines.  Pretentious morons.

What do you mean there is no communal transmission?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zoupa on April 28, 2020, 01:15:37 AM

Outside of our area, there doesn't seem to be any community transmission for 2 weeks or so. Viper's Bas Saint Laurent has stagnated to ~35 cases for this entirety of this pandemic and only 3 out of 8 RSL have seen any cases.

https://www.inspq.qc.ca/covid-19/donnees/details
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Doing their best to ignore the fact that Canada is not the US, the Conservatives are proposing changes to the student income replacement bill to make it harder for students to qualify.  I hope they realize there are very few people like Yi here.

Valmy

Students? Is that what you call your version of our debt slaves?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2020, 05:57:39 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 28, 2020, 01:15:37 AM

Outside of our area, there doesn't seem to be any community transmission for 2 weeks or so. Viper's Bas Saint Laurent has stagnated to ~35 cases for this entirety of this pandemic and only 3 out of 8 RSL have seen any cases.

https://www.inspq.qc.ca/covid-19/donnees/details

50% of cases are asymptomatic. It's not like the whole population got tested...

Those numbers are bound to move.