News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on May 26, 2017, 08:21:57 AM
I finished the telenovela Mi Destino Eres Tu.  It's a truly wonderful vision of Mexico where interpersonal conflicts are resolved by fist fights; everyone has a hit-man on his or her speed dial and every home is built upon a web of lies and secrets.  The best scenes, in my opinion are:

1.)  Our voluptuous heroine is wrongly accused and sent to prison. (Oh no! :o)  As she is entering chick clink she gets hosed down; oh how miserable she looks as the cold water slowly cascades down her thighs.   :(

2.)  Our hero is shot.  (Oh no! :o)  As he awakes from his coma he finds that his wife (the voluptuous heroine) and his ex-wife (the villainess) are in the middle of a cat-fight right in his hospital room.  Also he discovers that his romantic rival has the same rare blood type as he does.  (suspicious...)

3.)  Our voluptuous heroine is kidnapped on her wedding day.  (Oh no! :o) The villainess has her tied up, pulls out a knife, cuts her and then slowly licks the blood off the knife.  The villainess has got this enormous Gene Simmons type tongue too.

I'm glad you enjoyed this.

May I suggest one addition to your watchlist?  I'm sure you'll like it, given that (new) recent trend of yours to watch bad soap opera:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6128300/?ref_=nv_sr_3

CdM is already gone, thinking Heather Locklear is making a come back.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on May 26, 2017, 01:24:54 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed this.

May I suggest one addition to your watchlist?  I'm sure you'll like it, given that (new) recent trend of yours to watch bad soap opera:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6128300/?ref_=nv_sr_3

CdM is already gone, thinking Heather Locklear is making a come back.

I'm really watching them to improve my Spanish (though I do find them funny.)  Is there a French language equivalent; not necessarily soap operas, but something an intermediate student could watch and understand most of?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on May 26, 2017, 01:31:44 PM
I'm really watching them to improve my Spanish (though I do find them funny.)  Is there a French language equivalent; not necessarily soap operas, but something an intermediate student could watch and understand most of?
Hmm, most certainly.  Don't know about the level of French required though, since I don't really watch them.

They may not be avaible legally in the USA though. 

I think your best best is to watch your favourite movies/tv shows dubbed in French.  That's what I did to begin with, I watched the Transformers and GI Joe in French&English until I learned the meaning of the words "Retreat!", "Yo Joe!" and "Roll out!" :D

There is a site, similar to IMDB, which features old&new series, so it could give you and idea what to search.
http://quijouequi.com/accueil

19-2 might not be too hard, but not a telenovela.
Lance&Compte (all series) is a hockey soap with a lot of slang.  Also a lot of english.  The first one dates from 1986.

Maybe Les pays d'en haut.  This is really in the" telenovela / teen romance - I love you more than anything else/I hate you I don't ever want to see you again / I love you so much I want to spend eternity with you / I hate you I will marry the man you hate the most in town" - genre.  But it is antiquated French, as spoken in the 19th century.  Could be hard to understand, but you might still like it.  Not to be confused with Les Belles histoires des pays d'en haut, the original, censored by the Church work (and there's no way you would understand the spoken french of the time).

This site gives the 10 best shows for 2016:
Les meilleures séries québécoises
#9 is telenovela
#8 is sitcom
#5 is supposed to be a thriller.  They speak slow, like everything in this show.
#3 is supposedly a great thriller/cop show, in the vain of US tv shows
#2 is likely too hard to understand for your level
#1 is close to what you would seek, though marketed for adults.  30 minutes shows.

Grey Fox might be better suited to help you in specifically what you search though.  He's the kid here :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on May 26, 2017, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 26, 2017, 01:31:44 PM
Hmm, most certainly.  Don't know about the level of French required though, since I don't really watch them.

They may not be avaible legally in the USA though. 

I think your best best is to watch your favourite movies/tv shows dubbed in French.  That's what I did to begin with, I watched the Transformers and GI Joe in French&English until I learned the meaning of the words "Retreat!", "Yo Joe!" and "Roll out!" :D

That's a good idea.  I think The Simpsons have a French dub available on the discs (and they're available on US Netflix.)

QuoteThere is a site, similar to IMDB, which features old&new series, so it could give you and idea what to search.
http://quijouequi.com/accueil

19-2 might not be too hard, but not a telenovela.
Lance&Compte (all series) is a hockey soap with a lot of slang.  Also a lot of english.  The first one dates from 1986.

Maybe Les pays d'en haut.  This is really in the" telenovela / teen romance - I love you more than anything else/I hate you I don't ever want to see you again / I love you so much I want to spend eternity with you / I hate you I will marry the man you hate the most in town" - genre.  But it is antiquated French, as spoken in the 19th century.  Could be hard to understand, but you might still like it.  Not to be confused with Les Belles histoires des pays d'en haut, the original, censored by the Church work (and there's no way you would understand the spoken french of the time).

This site gives the 10 best shows for 2016:
Les meilleures séries québécoises
#9 is telenovela
#8 is sitcom
#5 is supposed to be a thriller.  They speak slow, like everything in this show.
#3 is supposedly a great thriller/cop show, in the vain of US tv shows
#2 is likely too hard to understand for your level
#1 is close to what you would seek, though marketed for adults.  30 minutes shows.

Grey Fox might be better suited to help you in specifically what you search though.  He's the kid here :P

Thanks, it looks like most of those aren't available in the US.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

There are two legal streaming sites, for a subscription fee, but I have no idea if you can access them from the US.
www.tou.tv  --> free section with some shows and re-reruns.
https://clubillico.videotron.com/accueil  --> original and dubbed content, 10$/month

Oexmelin

Not available in the US.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 26, 2017, 05:31:50 PM
Not available in the US.
that'd be strange to see an American use a VPN to access canadian content for a change :P

Valmy

Bummer having to miss all your soaps Oex.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Oexmelin

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2017, 05:58:27 PM
Bummer having to miss all your soaps Oex.

It is, actually. Not so much for the soaps, but often for some high-quality TV done on a shoestring.

Berkut

My latest guilty pleasure has been binge watching Gilmore Girls. I am weirdly fascinated by it.

But here is the thing, am I supposed to pretty much hate Lorelei Gilmore? As far as I can tell, she is the star of the show, or one of the two, and she is a deceitful, self-centered, conniving bitch. At basically every turn, they set her up to be this sympathy figure, but in basically every single case she completely brings on everything bad that happens to her herself. She treats her parents like shit, she treats every guy in her life like they are their for her personal utility, and constantly cheats on them and then tosses them at her convenience. If her character was male and treated women like that...

Her daughter is a lot more likable, but still pretty much a privileged little snot. The message of the show seems to be that nice girls need to find nice guys, and those nice guys really ought to be filthy stinking rich. She is supposed to be this great kid with a heart of gold...who fucks some guy who is married to someone else, and finally falls for another spoiled rich brat.

This idea that they represent the struggles of being a single parent is just silly. Single parents don't send their kids to insanely expensive private schools because their mommy and daddy are incredibly wealthy.

I like the show enough that I've watched about 100 episodes in a matter of a few months, but I kind of feel like I don't get it at some level. Clearly I am supposed to *like* these people, right? They are really all pretty much a bunch of assholes. It's like Seinfeld without the intentional irony.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on May 26, 2017, 11:16:21 PM
My latest guilty pleasure has been binge watching Gilmore Girls. I am weirdly fascinated by it.

:lol:

You really want to have some guilty WTF fun? Dive into K-dramas. Holy shit. They are decidedly formulaic and part of the fun is to identify the character tropes, but holy shit.

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on May 26, 2017, 11:16:21 PM

But here is the thing, am I supposed to pretty much hate Lorelei Gilmore? As far as I can tell, she is the star of the show, or one of the two, and she is a deceitful, self-centered, conniving bitch. At basically every turn, they set her up to be this sympathy figure, but in basically every single case she completely brings on everything bad that happens to her herself. She treats her parents like shit, she treats every guy in her life like they are their for her personal utility, and constantly cheats on them and then tosses them at her convenience. If her character was male and treated women like that...

Her daughter is a lot more likable, but still pretty much a privileged little snot. The message of the show seems to be that nice girls need to find nice guys, and those nice guys really ought to be filthy stinking rich. She is supposed to be this great kid with a heart of gold...who fucks some guy who is married to someone else, and finally falls for another spoiled rich brat.

This idea that they represent the struggles of being a single parent is just silly. Single parents don't send their kids to insanely expensive private schools because their mommy and daddy are incredibly wealthy.

I like the show enough that I've watched about 100 episodes in a matter of a few months, but I kind of feel like I don't get it at some level. Clearly I am supposed to *like* these people, right? They are really all pretty much a bunch of assholes. It's like Seinfeld without the intentional irony.

It's an awesome show. Hey check out Bunheads, that was how I discovered Gilmore Girls.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

TV was on muted, and fucking Midsomer Murders was on. Detectives meet some old dude for the first time and immediately after greeting them he unprovoked launches into a speech praising the Wehrmacht and its brutal superiority. I'm like this guy is so Languish!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.