And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2017, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 23, 2017, 10:13:36 AM
There's a new series next Monday on CTV in Canada, NBC or ABC in the US.  I think...
Still Star Crossed.
It's a sequel to Romeo & Juliet.  It looks nice from the preview, so I'll at least watch the first episode to see if it's something else than some teenage show about a love triangle.

Didn't Romeo and Juliet both kill themselves in the play of the same name? Hard to see how their story can have a "sequel".  ;)

Why not? Hamlet 2 was great.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

MacBeth II: The Quickening

THIS TIME ITS LOCH AND LOAD

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

That's great and you know it.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2017, 04:09:41 PM

Groan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

You were saying something about starting bar fights with strangers?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2017, 04:12:16 PM
That's great and you know it.

I know you shouldn't be a comedian / had been thinking what Malthus just posted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2017, 04:14:43 PM

You were saying something about starting bar fights with strangers?  :D

That's only because it was a great joke and I wish I had thought of it first. :P

Savonarola

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

This is probably better seen on TV than on the big screen.  On the big screen you can really tell they shot this with a budget of about £12.  Still a great deal of fun though.  I learned that all the castle scenes had to be shot at the same castle because the National Trust wouldn't let them shoot at publicly owned castles; and they could only afford to rent one privately owned one.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

One Million years B.C. (1966)
With so many news lately concerning human evolution and new hominid species, I felt I needed to brush up with my knowledge of anthropology.  Next on my liste of study is "Clan of the cave bear".  I'll then be able to discuss anthropology on an even level with PDH. :)

I had never seen that movie before.  Heard of it, never seen it.  I could have saved myself sometime and googled "Raquel Welch bikini" instead, I would have seen all that was worth seeing in this movie.  How can something this bad, with no nudity and no gore, could achieve cult film status is beyond me ;)

Anyway.  It was bad, like, really, really, really bad.

Barbarella (1968)
Two years earliers, some studio released "Bikini babes in the far past".  A rival studio head gathered his troops and asked "How can we cash on this trend while pretending to originality?".  So, someone came up with the idea of "nude cuty in space" and they frantically searched for some material to adapt.

Well, at least, this one is funny.  Never seen a Jane Fonda movie in its original version before.  Funny, she sort of have a bit of a British accent, closer to Kate Beckinsale than Jennifer Lawrence.

And again, it's one of these cult movies I had never seen before.  At least this one seems funny (I'm halfway through).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 25, 2017, 10:22:17 AM
Funny, she sort of have a bit of a British accent, closer to Kate Beckinsale than Jennifer Lawrence.

There used to be this thing called a 'transatlantic accent' Hollywood would want their actors to adopt so they could release films across the English speaking world. It was kind of a British-American hybrid accent. I think it was no longer a thing in 1968 though so that might not explain it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Something Something Lies, the Bernie Madoff story.  Nothing in the movie that you don't already know from the news.  Michelle Pfeiffer looks very good as the aging trophy wife.

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on May 25, 2017, 08:43:39 AM
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

This is probably better seen on TV than on the big screen.  On the big screen you can really tell they shot this with a budget of about £12.  Still a great deal of fun though.  I learned that all the castle scenes had to be shot at the same castle because the National Trust wouldn't let them shoot at publicly owned castles; and they could only afford to rent one privately owned one.

It's interesting that the funny knights not-on-horseback in which they used coconuts to make the sound of horse hooves was because of the low budget--they couldn't afford horses and stunt men.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

I finished the telenovela Mi Destino Eres Tu.  It's a truly wonderful vision of Mexico where interpersonal conflicts are resolved by fist fights; everyone has a hit-man on his or her speed dial and every home is built upon a web of lies and secrets.  The best scenes, in my opinion are:

1.)  Our voluptuous heroine is wrongly accused and sent to prison. (Oh no! :o)  As she is entering chick clink she gets hosed down; oh how miserable she looks as the cold water slowly cascades down her thighs.   :(

2.)  Our hero is shot.  (Oh no! :o)  As he awakes from his coma he finds that his wife (the voluptuous heroine) and his ex-wife (the villainess) are in the middle of a cat-fight right in his hospital room.  Also he discovers that his romantic rival has the same rare blood type as he does.  (suspicious...)

3.)  Our voluptuous heroine is kidnapped on her wedding day.  (Oh no! :o) The villainess has her tied up, pulls out a knife, cuts her and then slowly licks the blood off the knife.  The villainess has got this enormous Gene Simmons type tongue too.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

I never understand those latin soaps...but sometimes I just watch...just because :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011