News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I watched the first half of season 1 of Quantico. Got bored with it real quick. FBI soap opera is right.
I think Designated Survivor is a lot more interesting.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I've also just finished watching Z for Zachariyah- Pretty good. For a while it looks like they're going to end on a very unsatisfying and annoyingly super vague note [spoiler]Loomis having jumped and it never being spelled out, just showing mopey Margot[/spoiler] but the last scene sort of pulls it back.
One negative point is they don't really show the passage of time well. Except for towards the end when it looks like the season changes it seems everything is happening in one week and you just have to assume that isn't what they meant.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on November 30, 2016, 04:43:08 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_for_Zachariah_(film)

Immediately haunts you after the credits roll.  Only three characters in one setting, but I continue to question what I saw and why.

It was required reading in school for us, 8th grade IIRC.  Thing is, there's only two characters in the book. Because Hollywood. :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2016, 04:29:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2016, 04:06:32 PM
Suicide Squad- Not what I expected. Still not very good. The Joker was barely in it at all. It was just a Will Smith movie. The tone was uneven, the musical interludes weird.

The reason it is so disjointed is that they redid the movie to match an advance trailer that went viral.  I hope the actual directors cut movie comes out someday.  That is said to be pretty good.
The out of place trendy indie musical parts you mean?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I don't think we will ever get a director's cut of SS if it wasn't already planned during production (like the Batman vs Supes one). Too much investment for little return. You have to re-edit, do postproduction and SFX work for the new scenes, etc...

Ideologue

Plus, I'm pretty sure the original script/pre-reshoots version is just more of the same boring run-and-gun action with the cucumber people.  5/10 was a really generous score for SS, in retrospect.  David Ayer sucks.  (Well, Training Day was pretty great.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Incorporated. Didn't grab me in the 1st episode.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2016, 05:19:50 PM
I think Designated Survivor is a lot more interesting.

I haven't given up on that one yet, but I feel it does make me go :yeahright: a bit too often.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2016, 05:44:31 PM
I've also just finished watching Z for Zachariyah- Pretty good. For a while it looks like they're going to end on a very unsatisfying and annoyingly super vague note [spoiler]Loomis having jumped and it never being spelled out, just showing mopey Margot[/spoiler] but the last scene sort of pulls it back.
One negative point is they don't really show the passage of time well. Except for towards the end when it looks like the season changes it seems everything is happening in one week and you just have to assume that isn't what they meant.

What happened to Caleb?

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2016, 05:45:31 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on November 30, 2016, 04:43:08 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_for_Zachariah_(film)

Immediately haunts you after the credits roll.  Only three characters in one setting, but I continue to question what I saw and why.

It was required reading in school for us, 8th grade IIRC.  Thing is, there's only two characters in the book. Because Hollywood. :lol:

I never read the book, but I see many user reviewers were angered by the different story in the film.  After reading a summary of the book, it does not appear to necessarily have been a superior story for the silver screen.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on November 30, 2016, 11:40:05 PM
I never read the book, but I see many user reviewers were angered by the different story in the film.  After reading a summary of the book, it does not appear to necessarily have been a superior story for the silver screen.

Of course not.  Two characters?  Pretty sure Aristotelian storytelling requires three, minimum.

Admiral Yi

Watched Pixels.  Was OK.  I liked the closing credits, where they recapped the whole movie in game form.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Phillip V on November 30, 2016, 11:37:54 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2016, 05:44:31 PM

What happened to Caleb?

Spolieroo:

Seems pretty clear to me he died.
No way he just took the suit he happened to be wearing and randomly left without saying goodbye or taking his stuff or any supplies.
The question is to what extent did Loomis let him fall. I doubt he outright just dropped him, but he is probably feeling guilty with himself over thinking he didn't try as hard as he could have to save him.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Netflix has added an offline mode  :w00t: